CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-13-2009, 07:05 PM   #1
Michael Cordell

Profile:
Zone Help - Hard Gainer/Fat intake

Hey Guys,
I tried to search for this but it kicked backed a zillion results and a bunch of logs.
My Situation: 155-160lbs 6'0, I'm fairly certain my lean body mass is about 140 or so. My body fat % is probably 7-10, based on the rough guide in Mastering the zone. Being cross fitting for 1 1/2 years, with a SS break.

Its a struggle to keep weight on. Being doing zone for about a week and a half. I'm doing zone to clean up my diet which was just trash, tons of sugar and carbs. I read Mastering the Zone and article 21.
I'm currently doing B: 4b L:4b S1:2b D:4b S2:2b = 16b

Questions:
1) Where do I fit into the type chart? Should I modify the amount and split of my blocks? I really don't want to lose any weight (hopefully gain).

2)According to the CFJ article 21/body it says that if you are not trying to lose weight you should be taking in "x blocks carbs, X blocks protien, and 5x blocks fat". So that means that if i'm trying to maintain/gain, I should be doing meals like this:
4 blocks carbs, 4 blocks Protien, 20 blocks Fat??? Is that really correct?

I have being mostly getting that fat from peanut butter, almonds, olives, and macadamian nuts. Any better/other sources? Does fish oil get counted as fat?

Thanks for the help,
Michael
Old 10-13-2009, 08:39 PM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Zone Help - Hard Gainer/Fat intake

You are underweight and follwoing the zone? Why?

Eat paleo, eat a lot.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:25 PM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Zone with crappy quality foods does not equal cleaning up your diet...I'm not assuming that you're eating crappy, but just pointing out that Zone by itself doesn't necessarily mean you're eating cleaner.

If you want to gain weight, bump up to 18 blocks and 4x or 5x fat (meaning 18P/18C/72F or 90F blocks per day). But mainly, like Jamie said, eat Paleo and don't worry too much about quantity.

To simplify things, lately I've just been keeping track of protein blocks, then I'll eat 2-3 carb blocks (vegetables or low-GI fruits) along with every 4-5 protein block meal, then eat fat blocks til I'm not hungry...usually a few big spoonfuls of Sunbutter or handfuls of almonds. That way I make sure my protein intake is adequate, and end up with about an 80% Zone effect/Robb-Wolf-reduced-carb-Zone-trick, with a lot less effort.

It doesn't really matter how you split your blocks--I used to eat 5-6 times a day and found that inconvenient, so now I just do three 5 block meals and one 4 block meal. Saves me a lot of time and thinking.

Coconut milk, coconut oil, and 5lb buckets of Sunbutter make exceptionally nice fat choices. Aside from that eat almonds, sunflower seeds, macadamias, walnuts, pecans, olive oil, or whatever else works for you. Don't count fish oil as fat blocks.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:32 PM   #4
Michael Cordell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
You are underweight and follwoing the zone? Why?

Eat paleo, eat a lot.
I sorta just picked it up after reading the faq. Also, I got my dad on it because he does actually need to lose weight. After reading the book, I figured I could just scale up with fat. I will google around about the paelo diet.

Thanks for the tips Eric, where does one find Sunbutter?
Old 10-14-2009, 12:42 AM   #5
Amir Fazeli

Profile:

Hi,

Just a thought, you may want to stop really worrying about whether your doing paleo or zone or whatever and instead just make it 60%carbs - 30%protein and 10%fat.

What you need to do is get in calorie dense foods that are still good for you, get in starchy things more often, eat before you sleep even. and yes, fish oil does count as fat.

eat things that are less fibre dense which will provide less bulk in the diet, so you can stuff yourself more. Still eat healthy, just eat more.

Feel free to share thoughts.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:26 AM   #6
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cordell View Post
I sorta just picked it up after reading the faq. Also, I got my dad on it because he does actually need to lose weight. After reading the book, I figured I could just scale up with fat. I will google around about the paelo diet.

Thanks for the tips Eric, where does one find Sunbutter?
Sunbutter's website (WFS) You can order it by the 5lb pails there. Or Trader Joe's, Henry's, etc usually sell it in the 1lb jars.

I said you don't need to count fish oil as fat because you're a self-described hard gainer and because that's just being too nitpicky...if you were an inactive 98lb woman, then you might need to count them because calories from fish oil would start to add up to a pretty significant portion of your daily calories and might throw off your efforts to reach your goals. In your case you'll be alright not counting them.

I also wouldn't recommend cutting fat to 60%C/30%P/10%F if you're trying to gain weight. To eat a 60% carb diet at extremely high calorie intakes you basically have to eat a lot of processed stuff as opposed to the good stuff like low-GI fruits and vegetables. And it's a lot harder to eat 400 calories of broccoli than 400 calories of chicken or steak or Sunbutter or macadamia nuts, so getting a calorie surplus from protein and fats is easier.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:44 PM   #7
Amir Fazeli

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
I also wouldn't recommend cutting fat to 60%C/30%P/10%F if you're trying to gain weight. To eat a 60% carb diet at extremely high calorie intakes you basically have to eat a lot of processed stuff as opposed to the good stuff like low-GI fruits and vegetables. And it's a lot harder to eat 400 calories of broccoli than 400 calories of chicken or steak or Sunbutter or macadamia nuts, so getting a calorie surplus from protein and fats is easier.
In my oppinion you can easily make 60%carbs on your diet without having to resort to crappy foods. The thing people misunderstand about low-GI foods is that its been blown out of proportion. At first the GI scale was developed for diabetics and it was measured based on a fasting state of the body to see how quickly the food releases glucose and insulin into the blood stream and how long its maintained for. Well the problem is in any healthy, balanced, well-planned diet the person would be eating every 3 hours which is as far from a fasting state as you can get. Secondly, when foods are combined their GIs change, especially if you combine carbs with some quality protein, on top of that since you are eating every 3 hours there is still some food left over in your stomach from the previous meal...slowing the digestion process down and further altering the GI.

The GI is important to consider in a diet, dont get me wrong. But its not the be all and end all of everything. The amount of fats in your diet should be coming as completely from EFAs as you can and that should be around 10-15%, you don't want to overconsume fat because fat gets stored straight away as fat, whereas in the case of carbs some of stored as muscle glycogen, some you would burn because of your high metabolism (hence your hard gainer genetics) and the rest if they were to get stored at least not all would because the body has to actually burn some of those carbs in the process of converting them into fat to be stored.

Have more starchy carbs, oats, brown rice, etc. very starchy.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:54 PM   #8
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

You're new here, aren't you Amir?

I hate to tell you this, but you're probably about to get flamed by the "grains are instruments of Satan" crowd.

Katherine
Old 10-14-2009, 08:08 PM   #9
Amir Fazeli

Profile:

no i knew i would cop that. It's ok, i just saw a man asking for help, everyone's telling him paleo this and zone that, its like a frikin fashion trend, was just hoping someone would see that something different might need to be tried here and maybe he would reach his goal.

Bring it on
Old 10-14-2009, 08:17 PM   #10
Sarah Clent

Profile:

Everything in moderation hey!
Grains included!
Honestly, they arent 'mad made' so how can they be that bad? God put them on earth as an energy food source soooooo how can they be so bad for us in moderation?