CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 11-15-2008, 08:04 PM   #1
Danielle Marcellino

Profile:
Hip Flexor pain

I've been having some SERIOUS pain this last week-2weeks. No soreness or tenderness in the muscles at all, just pain in the hip flexor (front of the hip) area. I only have pain with resistance, so if im squatting im fine through the motion until the ascent from quarter squat to standing up (hip angle open). pain is worse with weight but its pretty bad doing just body squats as well.
I had been heating it and stretching with no relief. i've moved on to ice today (and tmw is a rest day thankfully).
does ANYONE have any advice for me, because not training is the last thing i want to do.
Thanks
Dani

oh yeah and i cant take nsaids at all.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:38 AM   #2
Bryan Gates

Profile:
Re: Hip Flexor pain

It sounds like the common TFL/Quad issue that occurs from not squating with your knees out.

Next time you squat concentrate the weight on the outside of the foot. To do this properly you will need to push your knees out significantly unless you have a very narrow stance. Make sure you keep your feet flat on the ground though. Get used to this before pushing new PRs in the squat.

Your pain wont go away immediately depending on the severity. Most likely you have trigger points in your TFL, vastus lateralis, and glutes. Letting these go away without directly addressing them will take a short break from leg work then light leg work for most likely a long time.

I was able to take care of this issue by fixing my form, using self triggerpoint massage and then subsequently this stretch while producing new PRs in my squat:

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/f...-Stretch-B.htm

Although you will want to have your lower leg as close to 90 degrees as possible. Try to square up your hips (make you pelvis straight up and parallel to the floor) to so you can get a good TFL/hip flexor stretch on the other leg. Depending on your flexibility you may need to hold youself up with you arms.