CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 02:19 PM   #51
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: T-Nation, Shugart and the Truth About CrossFit

Maybe turn uncle Rhabdo into the mister yuck of crossfit. Mister yuck was a mascot, but of what not to do. Or the noid from Dominos. Have Pukie foiling Rhabdo at every turn.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:20 PM   #52
Chris Walls

Profile:

"Avoid the Rhabdo... he ruins kidneys"

Old 11-06-2008, 05:17 PM   #53
Aaron C Bennett

Profile:

I will also have to echo the importance of CrossFit in promoting exercises that most people know very little about. I have been an athlete all of my life, even getting to make my attempt at the Nagano Olympics and playing top level rugby. Despite this, I never did Olympic style lifts except for squats. All of my trainers and coaches were worried about the danger of such lifts. I know now that they just didn't know the correct technique and how to teach it. Considering that, I guess it was good that they didn't have me lift, but I did miss out. Now, thanks to these boards and Starting Strength, I am doing Olympic lifts and getting bigger and stronger. I'm also having fun re-learning rings, which I haven't played with since I was in elementary school on the playground. I am reading more on fitness and nutrition than ever before.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:02 PM   #54
David Meverden

Profile:

Good article. A very reasonable treatment. But, I too, feel he failed to emphasis an important angle of our program.

What I see as the most revolutionary aspect of this program is the incredible motivation the program creates by treating fitness as sport. With every workout a competition against ourselves and others (either online through this amazing community or in person) we push ourselves to achieve things we never though possible. In fact, right now I'm convinced that I'll never become as fit with any other program simply because I can't imagine any other program motivating me to push myself this hard.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:30 AM   #55
Steve Rakow

Profile:

I thought the article was good, but it still failed to capture what CrossFit is all about. Glad the author visited a couple of affiliates, but perhaps he should try to get to a L1 cert to get the full flavor of the basic certification program, which lays out the fundamentals of the CrossFit program.

As for T-nation, it's for a sport specific program - bodybuilding. CrossFit isn't about bodybuilding. CrossFit is all about improving fitness across the board without limiting the training stimulus to specific areas. Those who experience CF long enough (some on the first workout), "get it."

CF can be done by everyone, but it isn't for everyone. Some just don't want to work hard enough to get benefit of intense WODs. Some don't want to train outside their sport-specific areas. I think the article misses that point.

As for disparaging Coach, that is unfair. Coach is one of the more gracious people I've ever met. If you disagree with him, though, back up your position with facts and not attacks. If your way turns out to produce a more well rounded athlete, then CF will probably adopt that method. As of yet, no program out there can produce the type of general physical preparedness that CF does. And to be fair, a few years back, T-Nation really tried to hammer CF and Coach. I don't blame Coach if he holds a grudge against T-Nation and those who turned their back on CF and Coach. Duplicitous to say the least.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:38 AM   #56
James Withington

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rakow View Post
I thought the article was good, but it still failed to capture what CrossFit is all about. Glad the author visited a couple of affiliates, but perhaps he should try to get to a L1 cert to get the full flavor of the basic certification program, which lays out the fundamentals of the CrossFit program.

As for T-nation, it's for a sport specific program - bodybuilding. CrossFit isn't about bodybuilding. CrossFit is all about improving fitness across the board without limiting the training stimulus to specific areas. Those who experience CF long enough (some on the first workout), "get it."

CF can be done by everyone, but it isn't for everyone. Some just don't want to work hard enough to get benefit of intense WODs. Some don't want to train outside their sport-specific areas. I think the article misses that point.

As for disparaging Coach, that is unfair. Coach is one of the more gracious people I've ever met. If you disagree with him, though, back up your position with facts and not attacks. If your way turns out to produce a more well rounded athlete, then CF will probably adopt that method. As of yet, no program out there can produce the type of general physical preparedness that CF does. And to be fair, a few years back, T-Nation really tried to hammer CF and Coach. I don't blame Coach if he holds a grudge against T-Nation and those who turned their back on CF and Coach. Duplicitous to say the least.
In fairness to the author, he posted on the discussion boards that he has subsequently had a good conversation with Glassman about Crossfit and the article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shugart
Quick Note: I just had a great two-hour conversation with Greg Glassman. Wish it could have happened while I was preparing the article, as it would have added much to it, but good to talk to him personally regardless.

I was hoping to post much of our convo here, but we covered so many subjects that it would be impossible to pass along everything. Maybe I'll post a few topics later, as I did pick up a lot of interesting things. Or maybe Greg and I could do something in the future for the public: audio interview about what fitness really is, the CrossFit definition of it, etc. Just thinking out loud here.

For now, just wanted to let everyone know that we did talk, a little late for the article, but a good talk nonetheless.
I wish he could have chatted with Glassman before posting the article, but never mind.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:02 AM   #57
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I haven't seen any authors who've written about CF post here, so kudos to Chris. I really enjoy T-Nation, hell they just had an article on a twenty rep squat program and the author suggested switching the situps with turkish get ups. Their focus may be different than ours, but the training excersizes are fairly similar (Christian Thibaudeau and Charles staley expose the benefits of O-lifting on a regular basis).

If you're a CFer looking to get bigger (for what ever reason), I would say Strength Mill Forums and T-Nation are the places to start.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:37 AM   #58
Anthony Marshall

Profile:

Wow, I see we got a couple of big names posting in here now. I must say I'm glad to see that.

Using Waterbury's workouts in the past always gave me a good workout. I've read and used quite a few hypertrophy training plans before (including those in "New Rules of Lifting")...and I've always had good results.

There are two important things to remember when it comes to "fitness", and it was good to see the article hit on one of them (2):
1. Pick goals that are attainable and resonate with your desired outcome.
2. Choose the means which best suit that outcome.

I used to only lift just for the love of lifting. I didn't always make gains..but I didn't always follow my training plan either. I just lifted because I loved the feeling of being in the gym. Now that I've been out of the gym for so long, my goal is changing my body composition while gaining some strength and endurance all while keeping the workout short.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:38 PM   #59
Kevin Hughes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Marshall View Post
Wow, I see we got a couple of big names posting in here now. I must say I'm glad to see that.
I've read and used quite a few hypertrophy training plans before (including those in "New Rules of Lifting")...and I've always had good results.
You mean names like Everett, Wolf, Bingo, Bainbridge and others, right?

Old 11-07-2008, 11:17 PM   #60
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rakow View Post

He didn't bother with the cert, because outside of CF it doesn't really hold any creed. The things he said about Glassman are warranted, he has said those things both publicly and on the net and has been known to be venemous to people who object to his methods.

Closed Thread