CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 03:43 PM   #381
Phillip Garrison

Profile:
Re: T-Nation, Shugart and the Truth About CrossFit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Walls View Post
But most of us consider the WOD (and not necessarily the posted one) as the rigorous testing. I don't care if lab tests tell me that my performance is improving. I know if I'm improving, or if my athletes are improving based on their performance. I don't care if he's switching from anaerobic to aerobic when science tells me is the right time, or if his VO2 max is measuring a certain score... if he drops 2 minutes of a 5k then we're doing good. If he adds 20lbs to a deadlift we're doing good, knocks 2 minutes of any given WOD, again, doing good. Don't particularly care why.
Would you care why if it lead to even greater performance increases in less time, or fewer injuries?

Old 11-19-2008, 03:44 PM   #382
Chris Walls

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Garrisonq View Post
I'm saying that the only way to improve anything is through rigorous study of it to find it's strengths and weaknesses.
But why does it have to be dissected in a lab to find this? Look back at the very first WOD's posted in the archives... things have been evolving a LOT since cf.com's beginning. This is based on rigorous testing (the WOD) and seeing how it impacts benchmark results. (benchmark WODs instead of your benchmark science, V02, etc...) And tweaking and testing and tweaking and testing... 6 of 1, half dozen of the other I guess.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:45 PM   #383
Chris Walls

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Garrisonq View Post
Would you care why if it lead to even greater performance increases in less time, or fewer injuries?
Well the results I'm seeing here are faster then I would have imagined, and injuries are non-existant so far in my gym (at least due to training in my gym... what these yahoos get into on their own time isn't my or CF's fault... heh)

Basically it ain't broke so there's nothing to fix.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:47 PM   #384
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
But why does it have to be dissected in a lab to find this? Look back at the very first WOD's posted in the archives... things have been evolving a LOT since cf.com's beginning. This is based on rigorous testing (the WOD) and seeing how it impacts benchmark results. (benchmark WODs instead of your benchmark science, V02, etc...) And tweaking and testing and tweaking and testing... 6 of 1, half dozen of the other I guess.
In the field trials is essential part of study and training, but only half the equation. A master carpenter knows alot about building solid structures, but you would still hire an engineer to design a 110 story skyscraper.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:47 PM   #385
Nick Hanson

Profile:

Ok - one and only reply to this stupidly compelling thread.

Isn't this whole argument like the whole foods vs nutrient arguments? Where we all say that whole foods are better than processed nutrients. Such as a protein powder vs a piece of chicken.

VO2max to me is a piece of the whole fitness shebang (and every other scientific measurement). Isn't the only real metric that matters is work over broad times and modal domains? Why are we breaking it down to scientific crap that no one can measure without complicated tools, than just measuring more work in less time?

Old 11-19-2008, 03:48 PM   #386
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
Well the results I'm seeing here are faster then I would have imagined, and injuries are non-existant so far in my gym (at least due to training in my gym... what these yahoos get into on their own time isn't my or CF's fault... heh)

Basically it ain't broke so there's nothing to fix.
Rapid training improvements will only come for so long. People improve rapidly doing HIT at 1st too.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:49 PM   #387
Chris Walls

Profile:

Paraphrasing here but Coach said in one of the journals (I think) that CF is more like a racecar driver's approach to racing, not the engineers who design the cars.

Most of us are the driver and just don't see the same things, or think the same way as the engineers.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:50 PM   #388
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hanson View Post

Isn't this whole argument like the whole foods vs nutrient arguments? Where we all say that whole foods are better than processed nutrients. Such as a protein powder vs a piece of chicken.

VO2max to me is a piece of the whole fitness shebang (and every other scientific measurement). Isn't the only real metric that matters is work over broad times and modal domains? Why are we breaking it down to scientific crap that no one can measure without complicated tools, than just measuring more work in less time?

Well how did we determine whole foods were better than protein powders? How do you define work? How do define modal demains?

Old 11-19-2008, 03:50 PM   #389
Chris Walls

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hanson View Post

I see we have another "driver"

Old 11-19-2008, 03:50 PM   #390
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
Paraphrasing here but Coach said in one of the journals (I think) that CF is more like a racecar driver's approach to racing, not the engineers who design the cars.

Most of us are the driver and just don't see the same things, or think the same way as the engineers.
Than do what you think works best for you, but what do you have to fear or loathe from others wanting more?

Closed Thread