CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-11-2008, 02:41 PM   #1
Brian Rosol

Profile:
zone/paleo help

So am currently doing the paleo however i dont feel that i am eatting enough so i was thinking about coupling it with the zone..however i think that i am doing somthing wrong

I cal. that i need 21 blocks

so for breakfast that means (all hypothdical) 5 eggs, some nuts, and 5 cups of strawberries. or 5 cups of spinach?

I can do the protein blocks but i feel that the veggie/fruit blocks gets out of control! How do you guys do it? Also thinking about IF and Paleo. which would be better?
Old 10-11-2008, 03:00 PM   #2
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Re: zone/paleo help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Rosol View Post

however i think that i am doing somthing wrong

That's the only thing you typed that makes sense.

Zone / Paleo totally different. One is Calorie restrictive, other is Food restrictive. Forget IF.

Since you didn't state any goals, would be hard to recommend an eating methodology, but don't fault the Paleo Diet for not getting enough calories, it's user error.

Read some more threads on Paleo / Zone, or use Google. Ton of past posts on the CF and PM boards plus the Internet will provide ALL the information you need.

Chow on, or if you're Zoning, it would be count your Nuts, weigh your Meat.
Old 10-11-2008, 03:03 PM   #3
Liam Dougherty Springer

Profile:

5 cups of spiniach does not = 5 blocks.... well maybe you mean cooked down then measured.

As far as paleo goes read Dr. Cordains book The Paleo Diet it explains everything.

Zone is just tediouse to start out. You have to measure and calculate everything untill you start to intuitively know what is going into your mouth. I litterally would plan my meals the day before when I started. And yess the carb blocks can be tremendouse if in verry low carbohydrate density veggies.

21 blocks is alot unless you are very large and lean or extreeeeemely large and very strong or you are exerciseing much more than just crossfit you probrably don't NEED that much food. Thats not to say it is so much food that you should eat less it just depends on you and your goals.

Nutritiondata.com or Fitday.com are resouces people use to help get there macronutrient values and balace together.

My suggestion read Cordains book go paleo see how it fits your life/work out routine for a few weeks at least and then look at the zone if you want to make some adjustments.
Old 10-11-2008, 03:09 PM   #4
Jenna Dodge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Forget IF.
Why do you say this?
Old 10-11-2008, 06:19 PM   #5
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

I think it's better to get a handle on basic principles of eating before one starts to tinker with IF. The progression I prefer is Zone -> Paleo -> Zone+Paleo -> Zone+Paleo+IF

IF is a little "meh" if you can't get the first two down.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:52 PM   #6
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna Rettenmayer View Post
Why do you say this?
I will take a shot here, IFOC (IF on crap) is not worth it and many wont make the effort!
http://www.theiflife.com/2008/03/03/...-ferris-on-if/
wfs (some IFOC info here, great site in general to peruse if you are thinking IF)
Old 10-12-2008, 02:35 AM   #7
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna Rettenmayer View Post
Why do you say this?
Jenna;

Elliot summed it up nicely. The guy is clueless and needs to understand Food and the pros and cons of Zone, Paleo, or more importantly, what is REAL food and when REAL food is consumed, how it is used by the body.

If people ate REAL food in the proper qty's, worked their ***'s off each day, got the proper amount of sleep, there wouldn't be Zone / Paleo and IF, BECAUSE you'd be incorporating Zone, Paleo and IF into your diet and not even know it.