CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 08-02-2008, 11:41 AM   #1
Brett Lemley

Profile:
Arthritis in Knees

Hey all,

My dad is considering beginning crossfit, mostly on my recommendation and after hearing about my experiences. He's 68 and quite energetic, but he has arthritis in his knees. He can squat to about 10 degrees above parallel, but beyond that causes pain. Has anyone had experience with this, and what advice should I give him regarding his knees?

Thanks so much!

B
Old 08-02-2008, 06:43 PM   #2
Skip Chase

Profile:
Re: Arthritis in Knees

Brett,
I have arthritis in both of my knees. I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in both knees following surgery during 1982. I had xrays taken in Jan 2008 and I am 'bone-to-bone' patella and femur. The patellar articulating surface is gone on both knees and I experience acute chronic pain. The pain increases after running and high rep squats, but I keep pushing through it. (I DON'T recommend that you push your dad)
I am having surgery on my right knee this Tuesday in an effort to 'clean it up' a little (according to the doc), in an effort to prolong the need for a knee replacement. I will have surgery on my left knee next month.

You can gain a lot of info regarding arthritis of the knee by googling it. Has your dad had a diagnosis to determine the affected compartment(s)?

I am going to jail!! Please help to bail me out. www.joinmda.org/skagittelu/mtbakercrossfit
Old 08-03-2008, 10:08 AM   #3
Brett Lemley

Profile:

Skip,

Thanks for the reply. I don't know what you mean by 'compartments,' but he is bone on bone in both knees. My current recommendation to him is to restrict ROM to a range that doesn't cause pain, but I must admit ignorance here, and need to do some research. Do you have any guesses on good places for info here from sound biomechanical sources? (in other words, the family doctor may not have the best info, but a sports physiologist might)

B
Old 08-03-2008, 05:19 PM   #4
Skip Chase

Profile:

medial (inside of the knee), lateral (outside of the knee) and patellofemoral (space between the knee cap and the thigh bone) compartments.

Again, google knee arthritis and you will find a lot of information.

I am going to jail and need your help! www.joinmda.org/skagittelu/mtbakercrossfit
Old 08-05-2008, 07:27 PM   #5
Steven Rogers

Profile:

I have arthritis pretty much all over, but the knees are the worst. I work on range of motion daily and can do a parallel squat. I'm a candidate for a double knee replacement but am not ready for that yet.

The Arthritis Foundation has a lot of info at:
http://www.arthritis.org/

and this is a good reference:
http://www.amazon.com/Strong-Women-M.../dp/0399528563
Old 08-21-2008, 10:17 AM   #6
Joel Thomas

Profile:

i hear you there....i am 28 and have issues in both knees... at times my shoulder has issues along with other joints... sometimes im 100% fine, soemtimes i can barely go up the stairs! any good low impact (but hard) alternatives for when im not feeling up to par?