CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-10-2008, 07:08 PM   #1
William L Eurto Jr

Profile:
I want to Paleo.......

What if your just not a big fan of green veggies.......is there anything you can do?
Old 03-10-2008, 07:20 PM   #2
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
Re: I want to Paleo.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by William L Eurto Jr View Post
What if your just not a big fan of green veggies.......is there anything you can do?
Learn to adjust your tastebuds! Maybe for you it will be an aquired taste!

Sure you can zone eating fries, hotdogs, beer and candy but would it be optimal? Same with paleo, greens arent being forced down your throat, but if you want to see change and gains...the choice is yours
Old 03-10-2008, 07:21 PM   #3
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:

I hated em and ate almost none until I was in my 30s.

They are now my main carb source
Old 03-10-2008, 07:38 PM   #4
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Re: Will
Broccoli kicks ***. You just haven't realized it yet.

You can have fruit too, just limit it (preferably less than 25g of carbs per day from them;1.5-3 pieces, depending on the size).
Old 03-10-2008, 09:39 PM   #5
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

I'd probably trade 1 ... maybe both kidneys for a lifetime supply of organic fresh broccoli, and I didn't really start eating it until I turned 22 or so.

These are foods that [theoretically] you were designed to eat and enjoy. The fact that you don't like them now is because you've conditioned your body into hating them and liking other things. I'm the same way with fish, although that's more psychological.

Along those same lines you can condition it back. You may not need to eat greens just yet, but I bet if you make a gradual transition into other Paleo foods, you'll start to inherently crave the other natural ones. I started eating a lot more eggs and meat, and as a result, found that I began to ravenously crave veggies I'd never really eaten much of before - asparagus, broccoli, etc.

Whether you're doing Paleo or Zone or not, you need them greens
Old 03-11-2008, 02:06 AM   #6
Dan Heaney

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van De Walker View Post
I hated em and ate almost none until I was in my 30s.

They are now my main carb source
That makes 2 of us. I started by replaceing lettuce with spinah in salads, tomaotes, broccolli. I stuck with what I like best then started add others. I don't eat tomatoes anymore though. Haven't in a while and seems to be helping my joint pain
Old 03-11-2008, 03:29 AM   #7
Mirza Besic

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Fuller View Post
I'd probably trade 1 ... maybe both kidneys for a lifetime supply of organic fresh broccoli, and I didn't really start eating it until I turned 22 or so.

These are foods that [theoretically] you were designed to eat and enjoy. The fact that you don't like them now is because you've conditioned your body into hating them and liking other things. I'm the same way with fish, although that's more psychological.

Along those same lines you can condition it back. You may not need to eat greens just yet, but I bet if you make a gradual transition into other Paleo foods, you'll start to inherently crave the other natural ones. I started eating a lot more eggs and meat, and as a result, found that I began to ravenously crave veggies I'd never really eaten much of before - asparagus, broccoli, etc.

Whether you're doing Paleo or Zone or not, you need them greens
I'm sure when your a hunter gatherer you welcome any brocoli into your diet like a fat kid does cake, but nowdays with the availability of HIGH calorie foods that our body happens to interpret as very desirable and addcitive especially to addictive personalities.

Eat Paleo for a while and take away all sugar sources, youll be sucking down that brocolli fast enough.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:11 AM   #8
Joe Bernard

Profile:

When I start doing paleo I did not like broccolli at all. After eating paleo for like 1-2 months, I actually loved broccolli. So it is definitely an acquired taste for some. FYI, I eat mainly broccolli and carrots because I don't like many other veggies and I eat a good amount of fruit. Even though fruit intake is recommended to be limited, it has not hurt my progress by eating a good amount of fruit.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:32 AM   #9
Justin Algera

Profile:

I still hate broccoli, but I love other greens so Im good... I cant get enough Brussel Sprouts, Asparagus, Spinach, and many others so try and find a few that you like. There is enough variety of good stuff out there that you dont have to choke down something you hate. Now if you don't like anything, then I don't know what to tell you.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:53 AM   #10
Frederic Giraud

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William L Eurto Jr View Post
As Sarena pointed , at the moment your tastebuds are far from their original state. You don't taste the same now as you did when you were born. And not because you grown up but because of all the food that went through this mouth of yours.

As much as our body adapt to our exercice regimen, the tastebuds are going to adapt to what you eat. And since eating lots of sugar and bad fat is pretty much how the modern human being eats, the tastebuds have adapted in a way for you to enjoy those food type.

It will be hard, but so much beneficient. For the 2 first weeks, you will have to try and taste a lot of veggies. Cut completely all the sugar and carbs from the traditional refined food, or as much as you can ( and that should be pretty close to 0 if you are anywhere close to serious). You'll feel like crap, but you will take taste in those veggies, you will develop the taste for them, and actually enjoy them.

The path is long and hard, but at the end, you'll be forever thankful and only wishing you would have started earlier.