CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:13 PM   #1
Matt McCollum

Profile:
As of right now, I will no longer dip. Ring dips - great, bar dips - fine, even bench dips are still good to go. I'm talking about smokeless tobacco dip - I WILL NOT DIP AGAIN.

I'm almost 35 and came to the scary realization that I have been dipping for over 15 years.

There are a host of reasons for this and I am listing two major ones just remind myself why I am making this decision.

1)Health - Why kill myself (figuratively) doing the WODs and then literally kill myself by putting poison in my mouth.

2)Family - My oldest son just learned about the dangers of tobacco at school. When he asked me what I was doing ("Daddy, what's that black stuff in your mouth? "Why are you doing that?"), I was floored, had absolutely no justification, and felt like a weak failure to my son. I want to be a good role model for my sons and be around to watch them grow up.

Why post this here? Being honest with myself, I know and can recognize my own faults and weaknesses. I have tried and failed to stop before because I lacked the will to suffer through the withdrawal.

NO MORE!!! Although I will likely never meet anyone who reads this, I have announced what I will do and feel some positive peer pressure to hold myself to it.

Thanks for taking the time to read my catharsis.

Matt
Old 04-10-2007, 12:17 PM   #2
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Congratulations, Matt! That's a great decision and for great reasons, too. You're bound to have good days and bad days, but just remind yourself of these reasons you listed and that you will be both happier and healthier in the long run. :-)
Old 04-10-2007, 01:21 PM   #3
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Nice job, Matt.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:35 PM   #4
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
I was first exposed to dip in college. A lot of guys in my dorm did it. The more macho they thought they were, the more likely they were to use dip. I thought back then and I think now, "Gawdahmighty that is some repugnant sh**." Ten times more disgusting than my parent's filterless cigarette habit.

Glad to hear you've stopped.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:43 PM   #5
Joe Murphy

Profile:
good for you, I dipped for 5-6 years, and then quit in college. cold turkey, on a bet.

if I can do it, you can do it.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:36 PM   #6
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
I quit smoking cold turkey, you'll have a lot more money to spend on new equipment too.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:48 PM   #7
Stefan Borovina

Profile:
Matt, I quit dipping Jan 1 2007... it was a tough month but it got alot easier. I haven't had one yet. I had dipped for about 5 years before I decided I needed to quit.

I started dipping with some rugby buddies in college... it's easy to get into and hard as hell to stop. It took me a few tries to get serious about quitting, but I am glad I did. You will be too.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:24 PM   #8
David Bennett

Profile:
Congratulations Matt! Going public is a good strategy for behaviour change.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:36 PM   #9
David Sailor

Profile:
Nice job, Matt

Publicly stating your intentions is a huge step. Keep us posted on your sucess. David.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:15 PM   #10
Don King

Profile:
Matt,

I smoked and dipped(Kodiak)from the time I was 16 until four years ago when I quit at the age of 34. Just keep in mind that the physical symptoms will be over within a week...it's all mental after that. Also, I can't begin to tell you how many times and methods I tried to quit, the only thing the worked was going cold turkey.

If I can do it anyone can. Good luck.