CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-15-2011, 03:42 PM   #1
Alex Saveski

Profile:
Bushing bars are better than bearing bars for weightlifting...

...according to Ivanko barbell.

See the second question on page 2:
http://www.ivankobarbell.com/press/a...nko_part_2.pdf

Thoughts?
Old 06-15-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
Todd Rehm

Profile:
Re: Bushing bars are better than bearing bars for weightlifting...

I own three old York bars and two old Ivanko bars, all bushing construction.

The Yorks spin as freely as anything I've ever handled except for Eleiko bearing bars. Disclaimer: I've never lifted with a Pendlay bearing bar, only their bushing bars.

I prefer the York because it spins well but not quite as much as the Eleikos. I frankly don't like the eleikos because they spin so much, but I try to lift on them as much as I can because every competition I've lifted in has used these bars.

The old Ivankos I have are probably twenty years old, and they're fantastic.

Folks may agree with the views of Ivanko, but they're well-thought out and these guys are serious about making great equipment.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:31 PM   #3
Keith Miller

Profile:
Re: Bushing bars are better than bearing bars for weightlifting...

Consider me one who does not agree with Ivanko on this topic. I've lifted on both bushing bars and bearing bars, and I whole-heartedly recommend lifting on bearing bars, especially if you're going to compete in the sport. Bushing bars do not spin like bearing bars and will cause wrist soreness at heavier weights due to the increased force necessary to turn the bar over at the top. Additionally, if you train on a bushing bar, then compete on a bearing bar (which you most likely will), you could over rotate the bar when catching causing issues with your wrists.