CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-05-2009, 09:53 AM   #1
Dean Baron

Profile:
What is considered fit?

So, in an effort to spark some debate/conversation, and also I am very curious.

In the world of Crossfit, what is considered fit and what is considered elite???

Example, are you considered reasonably fit if you can do Fran in 7:00 and elite if you can do it sub-5:00?

I always post my times/scores on the main site for the WOD's. I follow the WOD's as religiously as I can. I don't consider myself in very good shape. I am 39, 6'1" and 255-ish. No problems with motivating myself to work out but eating is the inner battle!!!!!! So I've been Crossfitting now for 2 months and have started to see some gains. Only two WOD's have come around again to compare. Yesterday I knocked 8:00 off my last time, just over a month ago. Fran in 8:16 and Helen in 16:29.

When I look on the main page, the times make me feel like I'm a fat slob although for the most part I can do the WOD's as Rx'd, albeit a little slow. So, am I sort of fit, reasonably fit or a slug???
Old 03-05-2009, 10:07 AM   #2
Ryan Whipple

Profile:
Re: What is considered fit?

This is probably the most comprehensive, definitive, though not-quite-official set of ratings advanced in this community.

CrossFit Seattle's 4-Tier Standards (wfs)

I don't really think there is a sense of ranking here, as we all have strengths/weaknesses and are more focused on improving ourselves than outdoing X number of forums posters. Big guys will tear up the heavy weights, little guys do gymnastics with ease, etc.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:51 AM   #3
Joe Cavazos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Baron View Post
In the world of CrossFit, what is considered fit and what is considered elite???
"Elite" has a specific meaning. The skills chart that Ryan linked is a good definition, but don't get confused: you are an "Elite" CrossFitter if you score in the elite range over all of the tests. You are not an "Elite" anything if you score in the elite range in one or two tests. A 2xBW Squat is impressive for a CrossFitter but peanuts to a Powerlifter, even the non-elite ones.

"Fit" is always one step ahead of where you currently are. Pat yourself on the back after you've won the Games.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:48 AM   #4
Dale F. Saran

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Baron View Post
In the world of CrossFit, what is considered fit and what is considered elite???

Example, are you considered reasonably fit if you can do Fran in 7:00 and elite if you can do it sub-5:00?
Dean, there's only one person you have to worry about beating each workout - you. It sounds Zen and trite, but it's true. It's nice to find someone of about comparable size/age and then latch on to them and maybe you can have a healthy friendly competition with them, but this is a lifelong thing.

I just try to beat my old PR's as often as I can. And after more than three years, I know where my strengths are and where I need more work. And the margins for improvement seem to get narrower. But there's so much more I wish I could do better. And dieting is one of them. As is running. And some gymnastics stuff. Oh, yeah, and I wish I were stronger on ring dips and HSPU. And pistols - I suck at pistols. And I'd like to get over 25 rounds on Cindy...

You get the point.

And, by the way, sub 3 min Fran is elite, IMO. And I don't think having a 3:05 means you're a slug, either. It's only one metric and not enough to determine elite fitness overall. Coach has said it many times - it's a tradeoff. You want a 700lb Back squat, that comes with a price elsewhere in your fitness.

Good luck.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:46 PM   #5
Dean Baron

Profile:

Personally, I compete against myself as well. Sometimes after looking at average times on the main site, I get a bit discouraged. Generally, my times are double what the average times are. Although I have seen a couple of big gains. I am just going to keep on Crosssfitting and trying to beat my PR's.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:48 AM   #6
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Fit in the broadest sense is often defined as the ability to perform desired tasks well. So "fitness" would be different for everyone. What a shot putter would define as fit would be different from a boxer.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:04 AM   #7
Sean Dunston

Profile:

On the CrossFit continuum, "fit" is at the opposite end from "sick", with "well" being between the two.

Check video here for explanation (mostly wfs - some language):

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...meCurvePre.wmv

Last edited by Sean Dunston : 03-06-2009 at 11:06 AM. Reason: added link to video
Old 03-07-2009, 10:42 AM   #8
John Alston

Profile:

Fitness, or "fit" is meaningless without regard to a task or objective. Like PG said.
Fit for what task?
Similar with functional - functional for what? for what function?
Old 03-07-2009, 10:52 AM   #9
Shawn Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Alston View Post
Fitness, or "fit" is meaningless without regard to a task or objective. Like PG said.
Fit for what task?
Similar with functional - functional for what? for what function?
I figure that barbell and dumbell training is pretty much functional for picking up things with handles. Sandbag training is functional for picking up all types of heavy stuff. I figure you can't get more functional than putting heavy stuff in a box, picking it up and running/walking/hobbling for time and/or distance. Coach said if you get a muscle up on rings you can pull yourself up onto pretty much anything you can grab. That sounds pretty functional.

But I regress. Back to the 'fit' thing.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:59 AM   #10
John Alston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Casey View Post
I figure that barbell and dumbell training is pretty much functional for picking up things with handles. Sandbag training is functional for picking up all types of heavy stuff. I figure you can't get more functional than putting heavy stuff in a box, picking it up and running/walking/hobbling for time and/or distance. Coach said if you get a muscle up on rings you can pull yourself up onto pretty much anything you can grab. That sounds pretty functional.

But I regress. Back to the 'fit' thing.
Marathoner's training - functional for running great distances. Not much else.
Powerlifter's training - functional for heavy lifting; not so much for running far.

Muscling up - not functional for running great distance. Add "for pulling yourself up things" to the end of your sentence and I'll agree.