CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-29-2007, 11:27 AM   #1
Garth Reed

Profile:
I have no idea what to title this post. Regardless, for years I have had this issue where my ability to push through an exercise deminishes rapidly. For example, if I were doing a set of deadhang pullups I will get to a point where my muscles will just stop. There is not a tapered off loss of power. Bench is another example. If I were doing 30 reps and my muscles were fatigued, my push would just stop. It is a bit difficult to explain but when I showed a friend, he was amazed at how litereal my statement of the muscles just stopping is. It is seriously like a wall that I hit. Another friend who used to do competition body building thought it was strange as well.

I hope this is not too confusing but I would like to see if anyone else has this issue. I should note that a rest will allow me to get back into it.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:54 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
That does seem strange.

It might not actually be a muscular fatigue thing but maybe a CNS one instead if that's the case. Muscles will generally have at least some ATP around to make some "less-strong" contractions as you grow more fatigued. On the other hand, if you're depleting the ion gradients that fire electrical impulses to tell your muscles to contract there is a threshold beyond which if the electrical impulses are below a certain voltage the muscles will not fire at all. That would be my guess.