CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 05-09-2005, 06:30 AM   #1
Kenneth Ritchie

Profile:

This may seem like a silly question however there is a common link between all users of a pool and that is.... they will all say that when they are finished in the pool they feel tired........ even the life Guards at the end of their day. Could this be down to the physical exertion of swimming? or the laboriuos drain of being a life guard in hot humid conditions? The answer is NO! although these factors do play a part. What is actually happening is the body is absorbing the chemical chloroform (brought on by the reaction of the chemicals in the water and the surrounding air) which is what is used to knock people out in medical conditions. It is not enough to make people pass out however it was found that swimmers who spend lengthy times in a pool have vast amounts of this in their blood stream. Same for the life guards who breathe it in for 8 hours a day. I used to wonder why I felt better and more awake after I had finished my shift and thought It was simply because I had finished work and was happier for it..... but!... having studied this I found this was the more technical answer to this very common feeling.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:56 AM   #2
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Kenneth - does this chloroform production occur if the chemical used in the pool is bromine rather than chlorine? I swim 3 times a week, 3000 yards each time which has me in the water about an hour and 15 minutes each time...I do feel the fatigue about which you speak, but my swim workouts are brutal. I'd be interested in knowing if bromine is partially responsible for my post swim wobbly legs.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:28 AM   #3
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
It's all about concentrations. Pure water will kill you if you take in enough. I'm not sure that I'd worry a great deal about this. As much time as I've spent in pools in my life, I think if there were a real danger I'd probably be dead.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:20 AM   #4
Daniel Overvoll

Profile:
This is why I swim in the ocean!! The sharks don't leave any chloroform in the water!! Much safer..
Old 05-09-2005, 11:34 AM   #5
Don Woodson

Profile:
I can only imagine what my body is absorbing in the Mississippi river.
Wait'll you guys see my kipping pullups with all three arms.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:18 PM   #6
Daniel Overvoll

Profile:
Or 3 legs...
Old 05-09-2005, 02:11 PM   #7
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Pass.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:11 AM   #8
Kenneth Ritchie

Profile:

Eugene if you swim in a pool that uses bromine instead of a chlorine based sanatizer then the chloroform will not be produced. However the problem with bromine is that is is more commonly used in spa pools and bubble pools because of the higher concentration of people in a smaller volume of water. Bromine is a far more effective sanatizer and more powerful hence used in these areas..... but.....there is a term used called 'the bromine itch' that some people experience because they stay in these pools whilst they are in clean mode(the water is being injected with the bromine)and it irrates their skin. With the sounds of it eugene it may be the physical exertion of your swim rather than the chemical....however... it would be interesting to know what other chemicals are in the water you swim in. If you want to check out some data on it, it was the Austrailian Institue of Sport Excellence that first ran that research. Swimming in the sea.... yip that sounds better.... and hygenically it is far better than pools...as long as the water in the sea happens to be clean and not polluted. One other down point ios that most conventional swimming pools sit at about 28-29 degrees....the sea around Scotland averages about 5-10... Brrrrr.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:27 AM   #9
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
FYI...bromine (in the right concentrations) is a carcinogen and mutagen. Have fun.

You can't go through life worrying about every little thing.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:27 AM   #10
Mike Ryan

Profile:
If I remember correctly, Bromine exposure will ensure that you father only daughters (in the right concentrations of course). Certainly not in pool strength dosages though.