CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 08-20-2005, 02:00 PM   #1
Eric Moffit

Profile:
Swimmers of CrossFit, UNITE!!

so i tried one of the workouts in the most recent CFJ and was thinking us swimmers need a place to post/compare results. not that we all need to be doing the same workout on the same day, thats just not practical...but i thought it would be interesting to see how others are doing at these benchmarks and was thinking it would be helpful for motivation and performance if we shared our results and experiences. and, of course, feel free to post workouts that youve made up and done that arent in CFJ 36.

here are some suggested abbreviations...feel free to suggest others/alternates:
S-swim
KK-kick
PU-pull
SNB-swim, no-breather
UNB-underwater no-breather
FR-freestyle
BA-backstroke
BR-breaststroke
FL-fly
SS-sidestroke
m-meter(s)
yd-yard(s)

today, since its the first time ive swum in a while, i chose B3 knowing i could handle it fairly well...

B3
8 rounds for time with fins:
100 KK
25 SNB
100 PU...left the fins on
25 SNB

i only had time for 5 rounds (in yards), which i completed in ~18:55. this was a fun one...i quickly learned how to manage the work, i.e., start the 100s off strong but slow down slightly towards the end to my get heartrate down, then take a few deep breaths, long and strong on the no breather, then immediately into the next 100. i think from now on ill roll a die twice to determine which workout ill be doing.

lets see those results, folks!!
Old 08-21-2005, 06:58 AM   #2
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Already been doing them E, just not posting them here. It's good stuff from Tim, and he was kind enough to answer some additional questions from me via email. I really appreciated his input, both in the Journal and the emails.

Always nice to see they're not forgetting about us fish ;)
Old 08-21-2005, 07:19 AM   #3
Jason Billows

Profile:
I`m new to the WODs and CF so have been doing modified workouts. I have always been a relatively strong swimmer though so have been doing the swim workouts in addition to my modified WODs. I love them. Great workouts. I`ll start posting some results.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:37 AM   #4
Eric Moffit

Profile:
Matt,
first off, good to see more of you around here.

what was Tim's additional input? also, as a former coach (summer league), i was thinking about asking him how you implement this style of swim training in an actual swim season. obviously you dont need to be swimming 1000 upon 1000, but if you know exactly what events your swimmers are going to be swimming, you probably dont want to be doing brick dives the week before...or maybe you do. i was just curious.

anyways, thanks for responding guys. id really like to see some of us throwing down on these workouts. Tim did a great job with that article, and itd be a shame to see nothing come of it.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:10 AM   #5
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Basically I asked him how/where you integrated those kinds of sets into a typical swim workout. He gave me some thoughts and examples of workouts he's done for his team/clients.

I'm looking for the book that a lot of these ideas originated from, but it's out of print. Gotta find a copy somewhere...
Old 08-21-2005, 07:59 PM   #6
Patrick Moramarco

Profile:  
I created my own swimming W.O.D. It is based on my extreme novice swimming ability. Using a 25 yd. pool - swim to one end, do 15 dips on deck of pool, swim back, hop out of pool 15 wall ball with a 5kg. ball (only ball available at gym)that completes one round.Then back in to the water. I completed 7 rounds in 20 minutes.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:54 PM   #7
Eric Moffit

Profile:
B4 today:

Average time per round for 8 rounds of:
50m S w/ head up
Surface dive and pick up brick (i think mine was 10lbs maaaaybe 15 but definitely not 20)
50m SS w/ brick
1:00 rest b/w rounds

Avg time per round: ~2:07 (Total: 24:01)

holy crap. ive never been struggling so hard to move so little in the water...it was awesome. definitely swallowed a lot of water on the SS 50s. GREAT workout and FUNctional, too!
Old 08-23-2005, 03:50 PM   #8
alex st jean

Profile:

Great subject, Eric where do you do these swims, the local pool and the Y would never let me bring bricks into the pool.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:16 PM   #9
Eric Moffit

Profile:
its actually a rubber brick that belongs to my pool. the lifeguards use it for training, and i just asked if i could use it for a workout. they were more than willing to let me. you should ask your lifeguards...im sure theyve got one, too. and it makes swimming very interesting/fun/survival-oriented/functional/etc.

swim strong.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:39 PM   #10
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Just FYI...a good sub for the brick (if your pool doesn't have one) is one the the plastic/rubber encased DBs you can often find in aerobics rooms.