CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 08-26-2010, 08:22 PM   #1
Nani Miller

Profile:
crossfit and abdominoplasty

Has anyone had a tummy tuck and then returned to crossfit? I'm just wondering if it's possible; what the down time looks like; and how quickly strength etc. returns. I know everyone is different, however a sampling of responses and experiences would be appreciated! I understand there is also a lack of sensitivity or numbness that occurs with a tummy tuck, does that effect the core any; and how soon does sensitivity return?
Old 09-05-2010, 10:50 AM   #2
Lindy Hruska

Profile:
Re: crossfit and abdominoplasty

Crossfit first, abdominoplasty later. If you have the surgery before you are at your desired weight/fitness level, you will not be happy with the results. There are very few medically indicated reasons for abdominoplasty, so unless you fall into this category I'd hold off for now. If you embrace the life change that is crossfit, it may render surgery unnecessary.

But, to your original question: Once your incisions are healed, there are absolutely no activity restrictions. The surgery removes fat and skin. There is no involvement with the abdominal musculature, unless you are having a hernia fixed as well. I'd anticipate 2-4 weeks off of activity depending on the extent of the surgery.

Last edited by Lindy Hruska; 09-05-2010 at 10:52 AM..
Old 09-06-2010, 12:04 AM   #3
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy Hruska View Post
The surgery removes fat and skin. There is no involvement with the abdominal musculature, unless you are having a hernia fixed as well. I'd anticipate 2-4 weeks off of activity depending on the extent of the surgery.
Depending on the type of abdominoplasty, muscle can also be involved as in the case someone with diastasis recti or separation between the left and right side of the rectus abdominis muscle, which I would assume would take longer to recover from.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:33 PM   #4
Elizabeth Hall

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica Carpenter View Post
Depending on the type of abdominoplasty, muscle can also be involved as in the case someone with diastasis recti or separation between the left and right side of the rectus abdominis muscle, which I would assume would take longer to recover from.
My friend is having a tummy tuck soon and muscles are going to be involved. I'll ask her how long she has to refrain from CF activities.

Last edited by Elizabeth Hall; 09-07-2010 at 06:33 PM.. Reason: grammar errors, that would make my English teacher sister cry
Old 09-07-2010, 07:39 PM   #5
Lindy Hruska

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica Carpenter View Post
You are right, I should have said no fascia/muscle is excised (removed). There are a wide variety of abdominoplasty procedures, as you mentioned. The fascia is oversewn to tighten the abdominal wall in some cases. Diastasis is a common cosmetic problem, but fortunately it is one without significant symptoms or need for repair. (unless, of course, you are paying to have cosmetic surgery)...
Old 02-22-2012, 08:01 PM   #6
Rose Ryon

Profile:

I have to disagree. Diastasis Recti can be much more than a cosmetic issue. I've been suffering with it for the past 5 years and most significantly this past year after the birth of my second child. I can fit my entire hand between my Recti muscles. My core strength is minimal. Don't get my wrong, I work hard and my abs are strong, but they are not where they are supposed to be. Since I have nothing there to support my core, my back has to compensate for my lack of core strength. So, despite excellent form, I have to avoid dead lifts with any significant weight, sit-ups and even KB swings or else I throw my back out. Also, I'm a professional singer for the US Army and it has had a major impact on my singing (breath support).

That being said (sorry about the rant, I get quite frustrated when people say DR is only a cosmetic problem), I'm scheduled for surgery next month and am nervous about the recovery time. I don't want to lose strength during a long recovery, but I also don't want to damage my repair by doing too much too soon. I know that this is an old post, but if anyone wants info on my recovery and how long it take to get back to CrossFit, please contact me. I'm documenting my journey of before and after surgery on a Diastasis Recti support page on facebook.