CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-15-2007, 08:16 PM   #1
Seth Hollen

Profile:
Hi!
I was hoping I might get some advice or starting some of the crossfit exercises already injured.

Right now I workout 3-4x/week doing alternating upper body and legs with 30 minutes of cardio each time

I'm still recovering from a partially torn right calf in Jan. I can ride an exercise bike but can't run yet, and any explosive leg movements are out.

I'm also getting my back adjusted into the correct alignment and my chiropractor wants me to avoid shoulder exercises for right now.

So I figure I'll just sit on the couch and eat cheesy poofs!:biggrin:

I'm 5'9" 184lbs, about 23% Bodyfat, my goal is 170-175lbs while getting back in shape, say 10-15% bodyfat. I'm not in too bad of shape right now, (I was coaching soccer when I tore my calf) but since Jan I have done nothing and I ticked off at my poor shape.

Anyone have any insight? I usually push too hard and injure myself more, so I'm really trying to let my leg heal.

Thanks!

take care,
Seth
Old 04-16-2007, 12:45 AM   #2
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Work your technique on the basic exercises with minimal weight. Learn to do the O lifts with a broomstick, do bodyweight squats etc and nail the form until it's perfect.

Work on your flexibility, do intervals on a rower or bike if you can't run. Above all if you can find an affiliate nearby drop in and say hi and ask them to show you some scaled and modified workouts.

Oh yeah, welcome to crossfit!
Old 04-16-2007, 05:34 AM   #3
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Tore my calf a couple years back, ortho said I ripped 30-50 of the medial head of the gastroc loose at the "musculo-tendinous junction". Long and short he did not suggest surgery so I rehabed.

I could do lots of leg work. If you do weight room stuff correctly you "stay of your heels". You should be able to squat, DL with no problem. At least I could even when my calf was in bad shape and in a pressure bandage.

No shoulder loading really puts a limit on things.

I also coach soccer, but hurt mine lifting. It was about six months before I could sprint and a year before it "felt right" again, but mine was a pretty ugly rupture.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:27 AM   #4
Seth Hollen

Profile:
thanks!
Old 04-16-2007, 09:37 PM   #5
Seth Hollen

Profile:
Craig, you say you were supposed to stay OFF your heels? My PT gave me the go ahead to do easy workouts but she wanted me to use my heels as much as possible so I wouldn't stress my torn calf.

I've been doing some squats but the past week my calf seemed to be more sore than it should so I'm laying off the squats for now.

Seth
Old 04-17-2007, 06:03 AM   #6
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Crap, dyslexic moment "STAY ON YOUR HEELS" in the weight-room.

On your toes on the athletic field. Sorry

(Message edited by vcraig on April 17, 2007)
Old 04-17-2007, 10:27 PM   #7
Seth Hollen

Profile:
:-) Just wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing

I actually ran about 20 yards tonight ( I was in a rush to my car) I was shocked I was running at first, but I could tell I was still favoring my right leg