CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-11-2005, 06:01 PM   #1
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
They had to be delivered to my work because they were on a pallet.:biggrin:

I got the 'hook up' from the person on the phone. I now am the proud owner of

a pair of 10s
a pair of 15s
a pair of 25s
a pair of 35s
a pair of 45s
a pair of 'bulldog' collars (I think that is the brand).
a generic bar (couldn't really afford the Chapman one I wanted yet).
a cool tshrirt.

I might have to skip the WOD so that I can play with them. . . ahhhh who cares. I'll do both!

At this rate I will catch up to Eugene in about 15.5 years!

But I will need a house first, or a shack, or a field. . . I am tired of living in an apartment.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:53 PM   #2
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Heyyyy - I never got a cool T-shirt. I find that now that I have the bumpers I have very little use for my regular metal plates. You will love being able to just drop it from overhead without worry.

You may want to consider the DL/Shrug bar. That bar you stand in the middle of. The one I got has such sharp knurling I had to use hooks to protect my hands, but in spite of that the bar allows you to have a really strong position and do DL's without scraping your shins and shrugs without scraping your thighs. I'm going to tape the knurling so it doesn't rid me of the flesh from my palms.

I would highly recommend that when you start building your equipment list you get the good stuff. Life is too short for crappy gear. Maybe not a $600 Olympic bar...for me at least the $190 bar will serve just as well. But I'd go with Vulcan Racks and Pillars of Power rather than save a few bucks and get a cheaper knock off. Over the years I have found that I always wind up buying the good stuff, so I have made it a habit to just start there in the first place.

If you catch up to me in 15.5 years you will have done better than me. I'm almost 50 so I have had quite a bit of time to acquire my collection...though it has only been during the last 3 or 4 years that I have gone the route of lifting equipment. First it was martial arts gear in the form of bags, gloves, Thai pads, Kali sticks and the like, then bicycles and endurance training gear and most recently the stuff I have been talking about in the thread about my gym. Keep an eye on Ebay...I get a lot of stuff from there.

Oh, kettlebells. You need a bunch of those.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:06 PM   #3
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
Yeah, some kbs would be nice.

Right now I have one made from 5 old 10lb cement plates tied together with an old white belt (you grab the knot).

Part of my problem is that I train in two locations, my apartment and my M.A. school. I do a lot of subbing.

as a side note. . . I just made an offer on my first house (almost $600,000), I don't know when I will be purchasing any more equipment now. That price just says: "Welcome to the California Bay Area. . ."
Old 03-16-2005, 06:25 PM   #4
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Jeremy - 600 grand. Yeowch. I'll be interested in hearing what you get for that monsterous amount of money. If you have not yet seen the pics of my house in the thread on my gym (Eugene's Gym Mod 1) in the Equipment section, check them out. The house is in a gated neighborhood of only 18 houses and we sit on .86 acres in a 2,750 square foot two story house with an attached 3-car garage and of course the 1,500 square foot gym. They were asking more when we got it 5 years ago but we paid just over half of your offer. I grew up in Santa Rosa and my sister still lives there. I feel your pain. California house prices are really obnoxious.

Hopefully you get a really nice gym space for that much money. First house more than half a million dollars. That makes me shiver. Good luck on your house adventure.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:51 PM   #5
Mike Ryan

Profile:
Jeremy,

I have been looking at the BFS bumpers and would like to hear how you like them. I picked up a 300lb york olympic set when I started Crossfiting and got the better of two bar choices. I should have read some more before buying. I am looking mainly at the plates and will make do with the bar I have until I destroy it.

Congrats on the new equipment and good luck finding a place to set it up. Real estate prices are just insane right now. A 2 acre house lot (town minimum) is going for about 300-325,000 where I am in SE Massachusetts. That is just the land!! For reference, my 2.5 acres was 75,000 eight years ago. Crazy, crazy.

Mike.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:23 PM   #6
Clay Jones

Profile:

Jeremy--Welcome to the Bay Area. Yeah, the prices are a bit steep, but then, the weather is usually pretty good, and the RE market just seems to go up and up. Crazy. Out of curiosity, where will you be located?
Old 03-17-2005, 05:58 PM   #7
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
The 'welcome to the Bay Area' part was just proverbial. I was born hear 25 some odd years ago.

This will just be the first time 'I' have owned (through the bank) property.

I am currently in the Concord area sort of near where 680 and hwy 4 connect.

My only consolation is that I will still make some money on the home when I go to sell someday(hopefully).
Old 03-18-2005, 12:16 PM   #8
Patrick Walsh

Profile:
I feel your pain Jeremey. I just made an offer on a house in Santa Cruz. 640k offer. 1032 square foot house that's around 50 years old. At least it has a 1 car garage!
Old 03-18-2005, 08:31 PM   #9
Clay Jones

Profile:

Jeremy, I grew up in Concord, over by Cowell Park! Are you over by the airport? I still get out there once a month to visit with my dear Ma.

The housing market in Concord is still pretty tight--you'll make money. At least you are getting a house! I'm in Marin, living in a postage stamp condo. The one saving grace is that it has a (realatively) large dirt/concrete patio area--I'm going to pour a concrete slab over the dirt and set up my weights ouside in the next few months. right now I'm lifiting in my living room. I occasionally hit the popcorn ceiling when I'm doing push presses, which I'm sure the neighbors get a kick out of!
Old 03-19-2005, 03:58 PM   #10
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
Actually Clay, the house is deep off of the Treat Blvd exit. But I do know where the Airport is.

You'll have to come out with us to the HQ in Santa Cruz next time we go.