CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-14-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
Matthew Wilkinson

Profile:
Overtraining

Hey guys, I was just wandering how much training is too much. I train twice a day everyday except Saturday and Sunday. Saturday is only once and Sunday I rest completely.
I go to a crossfit affiliate Monday through to Saturday and then some days I'll go to mma and other days I'll go do a weightlifting bodybuilding type workout at the gym to focus on one muscle part. I go to mma on the days that crossfit.com has posted as rest days and on the days I go to gym I do the crossfit.com workout before my gym workout. I supplement with whey protein, glutamine and creatine and my eating is pretty clean. I try to keep away from junk. Is this too much for my body to handle?
Thanks
Old 10-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: Overtraining

Does it feel like it is too much for your body to handle?

How old are you?

What do you do in "real life?"

How's your sleeping habits?

What is your athletic background?
Old 10-14-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
Phil Washlow

Profile:

That is a lot of volume but I think the quote "there is no such thing as over training, just under recovering" is relevant here. Jeff's questions are spot on, if you are eating well, sleeping a lot, recovering quickly and have been training for a long time then by all means keep at it. The idea of overtraining is very subjective, I would die if I trained as much as Rich Froning, but do very well with 6 training sessions a week.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:07 PM   #4
Matthew Wilkinson

Profile:

I do feel like I can handle it, although sometimes I am physically exhausted, I'm 19 years old and studying accounting. My sleeping habits aren't great, I procrastinate too much and get to bed after midnight nearly every night. I know this needs to change. With regards to my athletic background, I don't really have one, at school I played rugby and tennis, and before I found crossfit I went to the gym regularly and did bodybuilding type workouts. I've never really been passionate about any sport though until I found crossfit.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
Matthew Wilkinson

Profile:

Thanks Phil, like I say, I'm really passionate about crossfit and I find if I miss a crossfit workout, my day is messed up. I'm obsessed with it.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:34 PM   #6
Steven Wingo

Profile:

It does not seem to me you are communicating signs of overtraining. Being physically exhausted from time to time is o.k. as long as that is not the normal way you feel.

Most of us wish we could recover like many 19 year olds can. You are at a time in your life where you can handle a lot of training due to your age and the relative lack of other life obligations. Studying may seem hard for you now, but when you look back in your 40s with a family and full time career you will realize college years were easy times in comparison.

If you really, really want to improve then I'd suggest you take a look at your sleep habits. You may find that with better sleep you make more gains with your training. If you are anything like I was in college, nutrition is also an area to consider improving.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:48 PM   #7
Matthew Wilkinson

Profile:

Thanks a lot for all the advice! Really appreciate it
Old 10-14-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

Remember also that overtraining can be goal dependent. If you are trying to be strong, certainly your training isn't going to help you. However, if your goal is just to have a gas tank, whether you can handle it is all that matters.

I prefer doing the least amount of work to get the best results, but it all depends on how you react to your training and what your goals are.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:10 PM   #9
Dakota Base

Profile:

I wrote a 10,000 word research paper on the topic of Over Training while I was in College, I'll copy it below:

Listen to your body
Listen to your body
Listen to your body

Repeat that 2,497 more times, and you'll get the gist of it.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:55 PM   #10
Matthew Wilkinson

Profile:

Thanks for all the advice