CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-30-2010, 09:26 PM   #1
Jack Atherton

Profile:
GOMAD + SS + CF for a 14 year old?

I want to gain a lot of muscle for the upcoming lacrosse season. I am 5'8" and 145 pounds, and have some excess body fat, but not much. I have been doing CF for 6 months, and can squat 145 and dl 205 (to get an idea of how strong I am) I can use the barbells and bumpers after my normal workout with crossfit. Would it be a good idea to do GOMAD plus SS plus Crossfit? I normally eat a fairly paleo diet. What would I eat in addition to the milk? How many calories do you think I need/day?
Old 07-31-2010, 08:11 AM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: GOMAD + SS + CF for a 14 year old?

"Would it be a good idea to do GOMAD plus SS plus Crossfit? "

You can't do SS + CF. If you did the workouts from SS and added CF then YNDTP.

Goals, what are they?
Old 07-31-2010, 08:43 AM   #3
Jack Atherton

Profile:

I would like to gain strength to be able to knock down people when I am playing lacrosse. It is about six or so months until the season starts, and by then, I would like to squat 165, DL 230 and power clean 130. Doing crossfit would be something once or twice every week to get some metcon in there.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:44 AM   #4
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Crossfit Football.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:03 AM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Atherton View Post
I would like to gain strength to be able to knock down people when I am playing lacrosse. It is about six or so months until the season starts, and by then, I would like to squat 165, DL 230 and power clean 130. Doing crossfit would be something once or twice every week to get some metcon in there.
That's only a 20lb gain on your squat and 30lb gain for your deadlift. Even if you started your SS work sets on the relatively low side, you would be doing those numbers for sets of 5 within your first two months on SS. So that would be one option: do SS and eat a lot (and no CF) for 2-3 months, then as the season gets closer start worrying about conditioning by switching over to CFFB or CFSB or something like that. Or just do like Jamie said and start with CFFB now, since it is designed to get you stronger and faster at the same time. CFFB won't get you strong as fast as SS will, but it will do things for your power, agility, and bodyweight control that you won't find in SS.

Don't try to combine CF and SS. That will just stunt your gains in both. It might work for awhile while the novice effect is still happening, but that time will run out in a hurry.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:07 AM   #6
Jack Atherton

Profile:

That answers my questions about combining SS and CF, but is a gallon of milk too much (calorie-wise) for someone with my body weight and metabolism?
Old 07-31-2010, 09:12 AM   #7
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"but is a gallon of milk too much (calorie-wise) for someone with my body weight and metabolism?"

You are 5'8" and 145. My 50 year skinny GJJ instructor weights more than you. I'm going to guess and say it's not to much.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:12 AM   #8
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Atherton View Post
That answers my questions about combining SS and CF, but is a gallon of milk too much (calorie-wise) for someone with my body weight and metabolism?
Not if you're training enough to require that many calories to fuel your efforts, recover, and build muscle mass. All those extra calories will help you get stronger in a hurry--as for what it will do to your weight, no one will know exactly how your body will handle it until you give it a try. You'll definitely gain weight, it's just a question of how much.

Don't jump right in with a gallon a day--start with a quart for a week or so, then a half gallon, and keep increasing if your body handles it ok. Make sure it's whole milk and make it in addition to what you were already eating, not as a replacement for your old meals. Get plenty of protein, good fats, and fruits and vegetables.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:10 PM   #9
Brent Eno

Profile:

I'd say do Cf Football, some supplemental heavy lifts, and just eat a lot of food. The programming is tailor-made for football/rugby. Milk could definitely help you add some weight, but, personally, I feel very sluggish when I drink a lot of milk. Some thrive on it, some don't. Just be aware of how you feel and how your body reacts. Being 14 and doing GOMAD might give you that massive acne outbreak that every teenager loves, but it might not. Just make sure you follow Eric's advice and ease into it.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:19 PM   #10
Kevin Shaughnessy

Profile:

Id say do Crossfit Wichita Falls since you`ll get more consistancy in the big lifts. The program is basically SS modified so you can still do metcon. Crossfit football, I just checked out their site and it doesn't look like they've programmed any WOD's with heavy deadlifts, squats, or presses in almost 2 weeks.

Last edited by Kevin Shaughnessy : 07-31-2010 at 01:22 PM.