CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-07-2010, 11:16 AM   #11
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Tabata planks

Adding weight is about it, but to make 20 seconds challenging, you'd need 100+ lbs
Old 04-07-2010, 11:17 AM   #12
Sam Ser

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsey Abdulrahim View Post
B]tabata is great for more cardiovascular exercises but is it effective for doing pushups or squats or situps or some other activity.[/b]
tabata is a great protocol for push-ups, squats (especially the bottom-to-bottom version), pull-ups, etc. tabata dumbbell thrusters are downright nasty.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:27 AM   #13
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
Sure, you can do planks for 20 on/10 off/8 rounds, but that doesn't make it the Tabata protocol.

Yeah, I agree with that. We call it Tabata planks, but it's really just 20/10 for 8 mins.

- Mark
Old 04-07-2010, 11:34 AM   #14
Ramsey Abdulrahim

Profile:

Sam Ser:

That has been debated on these forums before many times:

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showth...ghlight=tabata

Honestly, those saying tabata isn't effective for other exercises make more compelling points in that thread. So it's not clear-cut that tabata is an effective or worthwhile scheme for pushups, pullups, thrusters, etc.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:22 PM   #15
Shane Skowron

Profile:

While doing 8x20:10 maybe an okay if you're really weak at planks, it's silly to call it a Tabata plank.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:17 PM   #16
Greg Privitera

Profile:

Nothing wrong with doing a 20:10 plank. It'll be challenging for beginners, and will definitely improve your planking endurance.

You can make it harder by using different planking variations like single arm planks, side planks, etc.

People just call it tabata to communicate the length and number of intervals more easily. During Tabata Something Else, quite honestly, nothing but the pullups (and they're still not that close) come close to the original intended effect of the Tabata Protocol.

Light thrusters, rowing, running, biking....Yes.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:07 PM   #17
Ramsey Abdulrahim

Profile:

I'd say burpees and mountain climbers could be done tabata style too for those who are in reasonably good shape.

I think a general rule for applying tabata to different exercises would be whether or not localized muscle fatigue is the limiting factor in the exercise (why you wouldn't do tabata deadhang pullups because your arms would be spent before even your heart rate is up) and if the exercise itself is easy enough that you could sustain the activity at a more moderate intensity for periods exceeding 4 minutes (ie- who can do pushups for 4 minutes straight? compare to running or cycling), so that there is an appreciable difference when you up the intensity for the 20 second intervals.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:58 PM   #18
Sam Ser

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsey Abdulrahim View Post
I'd say burpees and mountain climbers could be done tabata style too for those who are in reasonably good shape.

I think a general rule for applying tabata to different exercises would be whether or not localized muscle fatigue is the limiting factor in the exercise (why you wouldn't do tabata deadhang pullups because your arms would be spent before even your heart rate is up) and if the exercise itself is easy enough that you could sustain the activity at a more moderate intensity for periods exceeding 4 minutes (ie- who can do pushups for 4 minutes straight? compare to running or cycling), so that there is an appreciable difference when you up the intensity for the 20 second intervals.
agreed, tabata burpees and tabata mountain climbers are great (meaning, horrible).

it's true that crossfit doesn't use the tabata protocol exactly as dr. tabata did. that doesn't mean it isn't useful the way that crossfit uses it.

limiting rest is an old idea. so, if you prefer, just consider the crossfit use of the tabata protocol as a shortening of rest intervals during a series of all-out efforts in various exercises.