CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-18-2009, 01:31 PM   #1
chris tetro

Profile:
Pure frustration

I had been really back on the fitness bus. Then I played 3 hours of 3on3 hoops. My knees will not loosen up. its been a week and they are better but not the same. IF another week goes by I'm off to the Doctor. There is no pain just tightness. Esp on stairs. In the meantime I'm thinking of just cranking out pull ups and push ups and sit ups. anything to keep stress off the knees. Thoughts?

I can squat to just below parallel but it is very stiff. I don't want to make it worse.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:05 PM   #2
Ryan Whipple

Profile:
Re: Pure frustration

You might get better answers if you post more background information. I'll throw out a shot in the dark though:

You haven't been working out much, you're a pretty big guy (judging by your signiture), and then you subject your knees to 3 hours of pounding, twisting, and jumping with too little strength in your muscles and connective tissues.

It's been a week and you're on your way to recovery. I don't think you need a doctor at this point...probably just rest, recovery, and a better plan for scaling your workouts until you can handle them.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:32 PM   #3
chris tetro

Profile:

Ryan Thanks for the response.

Background info well im Al Bundy.. "this one time in High School".. "or when i was in the Army".. So yes former glory not withstanding I am looking at about 15 years of ever decreasing activity and increasing weight gains. I am 36 but in my mind im 18 until I play hoops for 3 hours and gimp around for a week. First time thats happened. I have always until now been able to have days of high intensity activity.

I had been doing 3 to5 day a week globo workouts for a couple years now. It wasnt cutting it so I started searching and found crossfit.

I do think you are right though. I don't think I did any real damage. I think I need rest. I do need to scale. The WODS I scale based on ability or skill and that has worked well for my first month of crossfit. I mostly was lookng for confirmation that I am not under-reacting about the knee thing.

My plan is to keep doing some upper body work. Pull ups, pushups, dips situps etc.. Along with continued stretching of the legs and next Sunday I begin the zone diet to get rid of the extra weight that I am sure I wasnt carrying around when I was not getting injured like this.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:41 PM   #4
Ryan Whipple

Profile:

You're welcome Chris.

Good choice to focus in on your diet. I recommend reading the Zone Diet book and taking two lessons from it: the incredible caloric density of refined carbs (1 cup pasta=4 cups broccoli, etc), and the value of dietary fat as a source of calories. Ponder on these for a while before trying to jump in head first. Although some on these boards sing the Zone's praises, others (myself included) simply cannot function on it. Do what works for you (but don't kid yourself about what is and isn't working.) Change gradually, incorporate what you can stick to, and stay committed to the long term goal of changing your lifestyle.