CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-27-2008, 01:48 PM   #1
Brian Rosol

Profile:
thoughts on honey?

Hey,

so i have been on the paleo diet and been getting great results, my goal is to drop to under 10% body fat. got about 5lbs to go. somtimes i get a wicked bad sweet tooth. I dont know much about honey, i know that it is "ok" by paleo standers, but in terms of weight loss and getting to my goals how is it?
Thanks!
Old 05-27-2008, 02:15 PM   #2
James Forshaw

Profile:
Re: thoughts on honey?

It's a very concentrated source of sugar, and should be treated as such. Before I quit eating oats (just went off them one day), I used a teaspoon of honey as sweetner. Didn't do me much harm - single digit bodyfat, and performance was where it's always been.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:22 PM   #3
Andres Gordo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Forshaw View Post
It's a very concentrated source of sugar, and should be treated as such. Before I quit eating oats (just went off them one day), I used a teaspoon of honey as sweetner. Didn't do me much harm - single digit bodyfat, and performance was where it's always been.
This is same thing I'm doing eating oatmeal most breakfasts with honey. And it kept me (maybe even lowered) my body fat % I'm in single digits, But i started using honey already on single digits so I don't know. I say since you want to lower into below 10% use it, but not much.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:09 PM   #4
Paul Epstein

Profile:

make sure you get unprocessed honey, or even better, try bee pollen

http://www.australiasown.com.au/Text...688/Bee-Pollen (wfs)
Old 05-27-2008, 06:49 PM   #5
Adam Rosner

Profile:

I'd like to know as well. I think you're better off using any kind of natural sweetener anyway, and honey is just that.

Sometimes on a cheat day I put honey on pancakes instead of syrup.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:09 PM   #6
Paul Epstein

Profile:

I saw a documentary about tribes in Africa and their food collecting. Whent hey found honey it was a pretty big deal as it was the only sweet thing in their diet. As a result word spread pretty quickly and every man and his dog came for some honey.

I guess my point is while it is paleo, paleo man would never have been able to eat too much in one sitting
Old 05-27-2008, 07:55 PM   #7
John Zimmer

Profile:

Honey is sugar. If you feel fine about adding sugar to your food, go ahead and dump some honey on there as well.

Technically honey is an "invert sugar" of fructose and glucose. Table sugar, a.k.a. sucrose, is a disaccharide made up of the same components as honey; fructose and glucose.

Honey is also considered to be about 25% sweeter than table sugar, so for the same sweetness you are consuming 25% less sugar. (Note: The Crossfit "World Class Fitness in 100 Words" spends the first 25 words talking about food and recommends "no sugar", not 25% less sugar.)

In full disclosure I have a huge sweet tooth and I'm a caffeine junkie. I have cut down on both, but I have a long way to go towards having a truly healthy diet.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:59 PM   #8
Brett Dartt

Profile:

i thought that honey was ok because it had fiber in it? is this info wrong?
Old 05-28-2008, 06:10 AM   #9
Laura Kurth

Profile:

even if it did have fiber in it (which i doubt) that is hardly a justification for eating something!

that would mean that the following items are ok to eat: most kinds of bread, boxed cereals, processed 'health' bars... etc.

I personally can't stand the taste of honey, i think it is gross!! I love maple syrup though.

however sugar is sugar, the less the better when seeking low body fat. If we are talking 1tsp per day however I would say don't sweat it, but if we are talking 1/4c you may have a problem
Old 05-28-2008, 09:59 AM   #10
Bryan Veis

Profile:

Being a sometime beekeeper, I thought I would throw in a few thoughts. Honey is a concentrated solution of fructose and glucose with a few impurities thrown in -- mostly pollen. (If you have allergies, local honey from your area can sometimes help, because you get small doses of local pollen and can build up a tolerance. This does not work for everyone, though.) Honey has a somewhat lower glycemic index than sucrose, but it still has significant calories. Some people claim that honey is "better' for you than table sugar. I guess that's a matter of opinion, depending on how you define "better." There is certainly an argument that it is less harmful to your teeth than table sugar -- I recall a television show (maybe on the History Channel) that claimed that the rate of tooth decay was significantly less in Tudor England than in later times, because the only sweetener available then was honey. The show blamed the introduction of table sugar for increased tooth decay. I guess that sort of makes sense, but I couldn't back it up scientifically.

If you buy honey at the supermarket, look at the origin. A lot of honey sold in chain supermarkets is imported. Domestic honey tends to have higher production costs, and colony collapse disorder has led to a contraction in honey production in the United States. Imports from China are suspect -- there have been instances where it has been adulterated with various syrups, and in some cases it is not honey at all. The best place to buy is your local farmers' market (if you have one). Someplace like Whole Foods would probably be okay, as well.

Try some comb honey -- the beeswax functions like chewing gum after you suck all the honey out of it. That was the "chewable fun" before chicle-based chewing gum became commonly available.

Hefting full hive-bodies (those white boxes you see in pictures of beekeepers) around is an excellent workout, by the way. A full one weighs in at 70+ pounds, and is always in an awkward place when you need to move it. Being fully suited up to work hives in, say, August allows you to work up a pretty good sweat, too.

Oh, and there's no fiber in honey, except maybe the odd cotton thread that comes off the cheesecloth that you use to strain the honey before bottling. And bee pollen is vastly over-rated as a supplement. Besides, most of what passes as "bee pollen" hardly sees the inside of a bee hive. It falls off the bees into a "pollen trap" as the foragers reenter the hive, and is harvested by the beekeeper periodically for sale to, well, people who don't realize what they are really getting.