CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 12-07-2007, 10:46 AM   #1
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
WTF!! Globos Gyms are only interested in their revenue

I think all the globo gym is interested in is raking in the $$. This notice was posted all over the gym this morning (where I am on staff as a yoga teacher):

December Nutri Facts
Thin Through The Holidays
Cranberries
What would a holiday feast be with Cranberry sauce gracing your table? For many people, the holidays are the only time you might partake in this bitter fruit. Did you know that in order to pallet this astringent ruby red morsel, it needs to be sweetened with High Fructose Corn Syrup (which is deadly-italics mine)? Yep, that's right, 22 grams of sugar per serving of Cranberry sauce...ouch! That goes for juice too; 75% of Cranberry juice cocktail is sugar water.

The Benefits
Well, the benefits of the Cranberry may outweigh the extra calories, especially if you are susceptible to Urinary Tract Infections or UTI. There is no evidence that Cranberries will cure an existing UTI problem but if you have recurring problems the evidence is overwhelming that Cranberries can prevent UTI. Recent research has concluded that Cranberries contain a group of chemicals called proanthocyanidins. This naturally occurring chemical binds to the hairy tips of E coli called P fimbria and flushes them out of your system before they ever have a chance to attach themselves to the bladder wall. That's good news for some women and guys too.

No Worries
If you are worried about an insulin spike from the excess sugar, be sure to combine Cranberries with some (italics mine) Protein and Fat. This will help to slow digestion. You shouldn't have too much difficulty finding those two macronutrients on your holiday table. Or, eat them raw and in a salad; when combined with Sun-dried Tomatoes, Walnuts and Balsamic Vinaigrette (where's the protein here--my comment); their bitter flavor works in harmony with everything else.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, so what have I learned from this article. Cranberries are good for my urinary tract but also have far too much sugar to eat on their own. And when processed are full of HFCS which I personally know to be as bad as or worse than trans-fats!But, if I want I can eat as much of them as I want as long as I include some protein and fat in the meal.

To me this article continues to point at the fact that the Globo Gym is only interested in keeping their revenues high. Eat all you want from the normal holiday meals/food. If the insulin spike you get is high, just come pay us money to keep you doing this yo-yo thing!!
Old 12-07-2007, 11:15 AM   #2
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
Re: WTF!! Globos Gyms are only interested in their revenue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarena Kopciel View Post
I think all the globo gym is interested in is raking in the $$. This notice was posted all over the gym this morning (where I am on staff as a yoga teacher):

December Nutri Facts
Thin Through The Holidays
Cranberries
What would a holiday feast be with Cranberry sauce gracing your table? For many people, the holidays are the only time you might partake in this bitter fruit. Did you know that in order to pallet this astringent ruby red morsel, it needs to be sweetened with High Fructose Corn Syrup (which is deadly-italics mine)? Yep, that's right, 22 grams of sugar per serving of Cranberry sauce...ouch! That goes for juice too; 75% of Cranberry juice cocktail is sugar water.

The Benefits
Well, the benefits of the Cranberry may outweigh the extra calories, especially if you are susceptible to Urinary Tract Infections or UTI. There is no evidence that Cranberries will cure an existing UTI problem but if you have recurring problems the evidence is overwhelming that Cranberries can prevent UTI. Recent research has concluded that Cranberries contain a group of chemicals called proanthocyanidins. This naturally occurring chemical binds to the hairy tips of E coli called P fimbria and flushes them out of your system before they ever have a chance to attach themselves to the bladder wall. That's good news for some women and guys too.

No Worries
If you are worried about an insulin spike from the excess sugar, be sure to combine Cranberries with some (italics mine) Protein and Fat. This will help to slow digestion. You shouldn't have too much difficulty finding those two macronutrients on your holiday table. Or, eat them raw and in a salad; when combined with Sun-dried Tomatoes, Walnuts and Balsamic Vinaigrette (where's the protein here--my comment); their bitter flavor works in harmony with everything else.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, so what have I learned from this article. Cranberries are good for my urinary tract but also have far too much sugar to eat on their own. And when processed are full of HFCS which I personally know to be as bad as or worse than trans-fats!But, if I want I can eat as much of them as I want as long as I include some protein and fat in the meal.

To me this article continues to point at the fact that the Globo Gym is only interested in keeping their revenues high. Eat all you want from the normal holiday meals/food. If the insulin spike you get is high, just come pay us money to keep you doing this yo-yo thing!!

Sarena -

I think you might be reading a bit too much into it. All it really says is "cranberries are good for you, blah blah blah." Their nutrition recommendations might be a little off but I don't think that they're trying to make people fat with cranberries as part of a grandiose, megalomaniacal scheme to rake in cash.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:17 AM   #3
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

I agree with you on that part but it just irritates me that they always hang these signs all over. I mean, my god they hand them on the back of the doors in the toilet stalls. Last week it was something about these new "low fat" healthy cookies they sell.

Why dont they just teach pEOplE how to move their bodies?

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 12-07-2007 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:48 AM   #4
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarena Kopciel View Post
Why dont they just teach ppl how to move their bodies?
They cannot teach what they cannot understand.

And they don't understand that cranberry juice must be served with vodka.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:52 AM   #5
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post

Party On.
Back must be feeling better
Old 12-07-2007, 12:11 PM   #6
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

Quote:

As far as I remember, I only drank 2x! Once was a night of magaritas for my 45th bday last year and the 1st was in Costa Rica on a yoga retreat--6 in an hour (4yrs ago). Our yoga group drank so many cosmos, the bar had to run out and buy more cranberry juice! Wow I had forgotten those memories!! You are so right Gant. Although I also enjoy a little cranberry (org of course) extract marinated on chicken...mmm....and paleo friendly too!
Old 12-07-2007, 12:21 PM   #7
Chuck Hoyes

Profile:

Homemade cranberry sauce is probably the easiest sauce to make, evar. Dump 1 cup water into pot, dump desired amount of sugar into water, heat, dump 1 bag cranberries, bring to boil, then back to simmer for 10 minutes. Done.

I use it as a replacement for jelly. No HFCS and I can control the sugar, heck, you can use honey if you wish.

I don't say what's so wrong about the article. Are they trying to sell you processed cranberry sauce?
Old 12-07-2007, 12:42 PM   #8
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:

I prefer Southern Comfort myself.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:27 PM   #9
Darren Zega

Profile:  

Gant, You're my hero.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:02 PM   #10
Maryanne Scales

Profile:

I worked in a globo-gym for about three years. (I call them Ken & Barbie gyms!) Think about MOST of the clients. The women are there to be as thin as possible and are looking for "diet tips." You will find them doing cardio for calories. (They are actually almost neurotic about calories!) They will almost never touch the weights, and you can't convince them that this would be a more efficient/efficacious route for losing/maintaining weight. The men are there to: a)get big b)pick up chicks c)get big and pick up chicks. I had a free membership, but I only went for Spinning classes. I prefer working out on base and being around people who are focused (mostly).

I usually worked on Saturdays, and a lot of the people who came in were there to burn up their alcohol/bar grub consumption from Friday night or to start with a deficit for Saturday night. Ken & Barbie gyms survive on these members. They aren't working out to get fit - they are there to manage calories and their figures!

Ken & Barbies do not really want any complex nutrition ideas - if they did, they'd be talking to a dietician or nutritionist! However, reading articles like the one you posted makes them feel good about themselves. That is really what it is all about for the gyms -making the members feel good about themselves. That's how they stay in business. Oh yeah - most of them don't even call themselves gyms any more -They're fitness or health CLUBS!

Southern Comfort sounds good to me!