CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 09-02-2007, 04:56 PM   #1
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Education

I want to do something like start a Crossfit affiliate for my life's work (not to college yet). I would like to know what kind of education I should be getting. What kind of college courses would be best? Is college even the best way to go for this or should I pursue other educational means?

Thanks.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:25 PM   #2
Randy Gruezo

Profile:
Re: Education

Derek

It never hurts to understand more about the human body. But most college programs follow a very conservative approach to fitness, "CYA" mentality if you ask me. However if you go to the NSCA website they post colleges whose degree are geared toward "strength and conditioning."

To the extent they are going to prepare you to coach and analyze movement that's up in the air. To me experience will be your ultimate teacher.

I have a degree in Exer Sci. I know it helped me understand what was going on with the body after the s#$t I put clients through. However, I don't go talking about the ATP-CP, Glycolytic pathways to my clients. They don't care about that stuff.

I believe my post studies in Motor Learning/Human Movement Sciences from Dr. Paul Juris helped me more than anything. It was geared towards how the individual aqcuires skill and how to analyze/coach skill.

This is not a direct quote but the gist of his teachings to me where "Exercise phys studies the after effects of the stimuli we impose upon them (clients)" So pretty much he really didn't care if the body produces more ATP, increase mitochondrial density, blah blah. We know they got better if they performed better. We cared about movement and skill acquisition. That's it.

That's the reason I affiliated with Crossfit because it paralleled with what I learned post bachelors degree. You'll learn a lot from Crossfit, but a base understanding of the human body from functional/human anatomy, exercise phys, human phys, kines, will make the journey more enjoyable and exciting. You'll be able to critically think about what is going on and formulate your own ideas from your knowledge base and experiences. It only helps your clients/athletes more and I believe that is what you want to do.

I don't know about a bachelor's per say... but I will never take away my college experiences and the lessons I learned from it. However, if you just want to learn the human body just take individual courses. Most Community Colleges, Colleges, and University let you take individual classes as a continuing education class. You won't end up with a degree, but that's up to you if you care about it.

If you were to go to college for this I would go to Penn State or University of Florida. They have an awesome Motor Learning/Human Movement undergrad degree. That's the direction I would take and the studies that most closely parallells Crossfit philosophy.

That's my two cents, quarter and dollar,
Old 09-03-2007, 03:51 PM   #3
Derek Maffett

Profile:

I've heard of kinesiology and University of Maryland in regard to this. I'll look up University of Florida but I have little desire to go to Pennsylvania.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:02 PM   #4
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Maffett View Post
I've heard of kinesiology and University of Maryland in regard to this. I'll look up University of Florida but I have little desire to go to Pennsylvania.
You knock PA and a quality school like Penn State for what reasons?

Jay who lives in Western PA.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:05 PM   #5
Derek Maffett

Profile:

I'm not saying that Penn State isn't good, but Pennsylvania is where my dad grew up and he hates the place. Suffice to say that I don't have a very good impression of PA, no offense intended to any nice people who live there.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:33 PM   #6
George Mounce

Profile:

You are missing out on a great place, I suggest before you knock the idea, make a visit. You'd be going, not your dad, and his opinion is just that, his opinion based on his experiences. Make your own.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:52 PM   #7
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Good point, George. I looked at Penn State and it actually doesn't look half bad. Only issue is that I need to gather up about $140,000 to get in. Guess I'd better start hitting the scholarships.