CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:02 AM   #1
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Looks like we got a space... CF Detroit coming soon hopefully

I secured a space in our local area for running CF workouts, and filled out the affiliate essay last night. I've got all the equipment to run probably 5 person classes, or likely can run 10-15 person classes using dumbbells and other similar equipment (just the way it worked out).

So, assuming everything goes through ok, Crossfit Detroit should be opening up here within the next few weeks. Looks like we're going to be located at about the corner of 14 Mile & Mound Rd, which is right on the border of Sterling Heights and Warren, a pretty nice area, plenty of parking, etc. And it's located inside a karate/kickboxing studio, so we should be able to get some members out of that as well.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:18 AM   #2
Douglas Chapman

Profile:
Re: Looks like we got a space... CF Detroit coming soon hopefully

Matt,

Cool Matt. It was good to talk to you about it.

I will be back from LA on Tuesday morning and leaving again on Friday if you want to come down and do some workouts let me know. I was planning on taking the week off, but I would be glad to help you.

Doug

PS: I am really glad have another affiliate in MI.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:31 AM   #3
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

It's a good feeling to be finally moving forward with this. It's just so frustrating going around to other facilities and saying "are you looking for trainers" and they go "we want people who do XYZ certification, and no you can't do free weights, and..." Heck, I went to this one place, and I swear they were filming one of those fitness videos... "one... two... three... four..." the ladies at the front of the wooden floor room were talking into one of those head-mounted microphones, and they were using fixed weight barbells to do bicep curls. THEN, the kicker, they put that weight on their shoulders and start to do "squats". I nearly fell over, half wanting to laugh, half wanting to cry when I saw what they were calling squats. It wasn't even a quarter squat, it was literally like "ok, unlock your knees, now lock them again". I just wanted to pull my hair out watching this "professional organization" literally wasting these people's time and money, and giving them a false sense of security about their health status. Yeah, "some exercise" is better than "no exercise", but if you're going to take someone's money, you better give them something of SOME quality in return. At least that's how I feel about it.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:20 PM   #4
Kevin Roddy

Profile:

Matt -

Don't think I've forgotten about you! I still have to come out and train soon! I've been busy but I would like to do it within the next couple of weeks. What days are good for you?
Old 11-09-2007, 05:59 AM   #5
Michael Dykstra

Profile:

Hey Matt I will have to drive across the state and check your place out once you get it open.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:35 AM   #6
Ben Kaminski

Profile:

Congrats on landing a space!
Old 11-09-2007, 12:31 PM   #7
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Thanks all. I got the acknowledgement back from HQ that they got the application, but haven't heard anything yet. As for the space, he's scheduled on Monday to have some guy come in and give a quote for moving all his old storage shelves, etc. into a storage facility. So potentially as early as next week we could be moving in. Right now it's just going to look awfully similar to my fully equipped garage gym, because I've been setting it up to train a few people at a time in my garage already.

As for days, I haven't set any days in stone, but I think for right now I'm going to be running classes 3 days a week, depending on people's schedules. If we get a person or two who can make the other two days during the week, we'll add another, and potentially also Saturday we can do a combined workout in a team format.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:11 PM   #8
William Henniger

Profile:

Matt,

I am not far away, let me know if there is anything I can do to help. I look forward packing the truck with some of our minions and hitting Detroit. I am in Ann Arbor twice a week for school, I will shoot over some time.

Mid-West is bringing some heat!

Bill
Rogue Fitness - CrossFit Columbus
http://www.roguefitness.com
bill@roguefitness.com
614-358-6190
Old 11-11-2007, 04:23 PM   #9
Bill Russell

Profile:

Congrats and best of luck to you Matt.

Paul, Nancy, Staci and I are all happy help you any way we can.

I'm happy to share ideas with you on how to get the most out of limited equipment. We've had a lot of success running outdoor workouts with 20-30 people, but we plan on having smaller groups starting this month in our new facility.

See you soon.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:30 AM   #10
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Thanks guys, I've put together a list of movements I can do with the equipment I've got available, and there's a bajillion things that we can do with dumbbells alone, although that'd get boring fast. I think I've got enough stuff to go around to do a lot of good workouts, and it looks like I can get 120 feet of climbing rope for about $100, and make probably four ropes out of it.

I'll let people know when I'm moving over, in case anyone's around the area and wants to check the place out and help move. Hopefully he'll be ok with letting us use a good chunk of his space that currently has a Boxing ring in it, that'd let us go to well over 25+ person classes in that room alone.