CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-24-2006, 11:49 AM   #1
Jeff Dale

Profile:
35yrs 6'2"
Started at 190lbs,17%bf,18 blocks
(7.5in. wrist+35.5in. waist, 158lb LBM??)
2 months later 190lbs,11%bf
(7in. wrist,33in. waist, 169LBM)

Planning on take BF down to 6-7%. Should I wait until I'm at desired BF before adding in fat blocks?
I used a .8 multiplier at the start. Should I keep the same multiplier and continue 18 blocks since a seem to be losing the fat/gaining muscle?
Or do what seems to be the standard, .7 and go down to 17 blocks??

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 05-24-2006, 12:34 PM   #2
Jesse Woody

Profile:
If you are getting the results that you want I wouldn't change a thing. Keep an eye on your performance and when it starts to suffer a bit (a good sign that your body-fat is getting too low) then start adding in those fat blocks. Otherwise, great job! Keep it up :D
Old 05-24-2006, 09:12 PM   #3
John Fox

Profile:
I wish I could get results like that. We started zone at about the same time and you lost way more bf than me. mine just wont budge. I think I'm gonna try fasting unless anyone has any better suggestions.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:41 AM   #4
Jesse Woody

Profile:
John, what was your daily intake composed of? Clean paleo, or frequent unfavorable foods eaten within Zone proportions?
Old 05-25-2006, 08:00 AM   #5
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
*Rant on*
This is exactly why I have a problem with the concept of IF. Many people are inevitably going to try and use it in a fashion not unlike an eating disorder, in an attempt to lose weight at any cost, rather than to enhance health and performance. I think we, in the community, who utilize or support the use of IF must make it painfully clear that the use of any form of IF should not be implemented under any condition until an individual has their nutrition dialed in to a high degree of accuracy.
*Rant off*
There are a lot of people on this board who can easily pinpoint what you're doing wrong if you post a food log for a few days. I would stay as far away from fasting as possible until you are making solid/steady progress with a more traditional regimen.

Jeff- two things:
1.) Sorry to hijack your thread.
2.) Congratulations on the fantastic progress!

(Message edited by jon_e on May 25, 2006)
Old 05-25-2006, 09:11 AM   #6
Garrett Smith

Profile:
John,
When people still have grains and dairy in their diet on the Zone, I'm never surprised that they don't progress.

There is also physician-supervised iodine supplementation to get one's actual thyroid hormone functioning "properly". Contact me off-list if you are interested. Talk to Jamila Bey on the board if you'd like more info from someone who is doing it.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:00 AM   #7
Charlie Jackson

Profile:
Here's someone doing pretty well on a non paleo diet.

"Finally, make sure that you eat a variety of food to get a full array of muscle building amino acids. Some examples of good combinations include: black beans and quinoa, lentils and brown rice, almond butter sandwich, Rice protein/soy milk shake, green peas and almonds."

http://www.grapplearts.com/Vegan-diet-for-size.htm
Old 05-25-2006, 02:39 PM   #8
Jesse Woody

Profile:
Indeed, there are no "rules" for nutrition, only some basic guidelines that you can use to make your journey towards optimum health and performance easier. Mike Mahler does great with the way he eats, though I ate exactly the same and was 150lb at 16% bodyfat....I slowly transitioned towards more varied, paleo-ish eating and have now reached 172lb and 7% bodyfat...to each their own ;)

One secret to his success is tons of hard work, period. Most people could get away with eating almost anything if they put as much into their workout as he does. That said, if you dont' have that kind of time (i.e. you're not a fitness professional) perhaps there are better ways to optimize the time you CAN spend in the gym. Any way to augment the work that you ARE able to put into it is time and effort well-spent :D

(Message edited by gear on May 25, 2006)
Old 05-25-2006, 06:48 PM   #9
Garrett Smith

Profile:
As with anything, *especially* diet, there aren't rules without exceptions...

Considering how few other muscular vegans have presented themselves, I'd say without hesitation that Mike Mahler is the exception. It is a testament, IMO, to the amount of hard work and dedication he has put forth.

I would love to not have to eat animals--problem is, when I didn't, I was weaker, smaller, and got sick more often than at any other point in my life. Period.

To each their own
Old 05-27-2006, 09:32 PM   #10
Jeff Dale

Profile:
John-

Don't get discouraged!!
I've been eating very strictly and limit cheating snacks to 2-3 times a week. I've taken out all possible processed foods (soda, candy, chips, cookies, etc.) It was very hard but it gets easier. I don't have the cravings anymore either!

I know the community can help if you post what you eat. Make sure you use a scale for a while to limit the guess work.

Jesse & Jonathon-}Thanks for the kind words. It would have been a lot harder without this group of people!