CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 07-14-2012, 10:50 AM   #1
Alex Cunningham

Profile:
One complaint about the Games and Crossfit in general

I think the time caps need to be more lenient (a LOT in some cases). No, I'm not talking about AMRAPs, I actually enjoy AMRAPs. But for some of the competitive workouts, especially the Saturday morning team event (rope and clean), the time cap is way too strict and a LOT of competitors don't finish. So far no one has finished this workout. Seeing teams not finish the workout really bothers me (albeit my OCD attributes to that) and detracts from the spirit of the competition. What do you guys think?
Old 07-14-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: One complaint about the Games and Crossfit in general

I don't really agree. As long as you can accurately measure the athletes' performance, you can determine rankings. Doesn't really matter if anyone finishes.

- Mark
Old 07-17-2012, 07:54 AM   #3
Richard Joy

Profile:

I think time caps are important in this kind of competition. They keep things running on time, and limit the frustration when a competitor (or team) has a lot of trouble with a particular movement. Failing on muscle-ups for 10 minutes is one thing, failing on muscle-ups until you quit out of frustration is another thing entirely.

That said, I think that consideration needs to be made when selecting a particular time cap. If no one finishes under the cap, then it's too low. Of course, trying to estimate how quickly elite competitors can finish a given WOD has got to be pretty difficult. This year, I thought the events all had pretty reasonable caps, with the possible exception of the rope climb/clean event that the teams did. I don't think any teams finished that WOD. Ideally, the cap would have been longer or the WOD would have been shorter (maybe fewer rope climbs or a shorter rope).

Overall, though, I thought this year's caps were pretty good.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:22 AM   #4
Michael Kelley

Profile:

I think they test the workouts and use the results to make an estimation of a reasonable cap. Since these are new workouts, it is really hard to estimate the impact of fatigue from prior workouts, weather conditions, etc. They have to pick a number and maintain a schedule for the spectators AND for the competitors who are warming up and awaiting the next scheduled event. I think they did a pretty solid job there.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
David Sigmon

Profile:

I agree that the time caps are necessary and I think that was crucial in keeping things running on time. I don't think they properly tested the rope climb team event though. Not a single team got their males through the rope climbs and then they were all suppose to go back across the field, do another clean individually, then back for a single rope climb. That was at least another 5-6 minutes or better.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:34 PM   #6
David Meverden

Profile:

Nothing screws up a competition more than the schedule getting screwed up. I was at a 3 event competition and I don't know what happened but the time between events and heats started taking WAY too long. The whole thing went several hours longer than it should have.

So, gotta have caps. You don't have to like them, and it looks bad when they are badly chosen, but they are critical to keeping things on schedule.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:24 PM   #7
Jeff Binek

Profile:

Go to the Games, I guarantee you find yourself saying "I wish this cap was 4 minutes less" at least 10 times. This is gonna sound bad, but the people are there to see the final heats for the most part, watching the 1st and 2nd heats struggle (especially in the team competition, it was absolutely awful to watch the girls try to clean the axles) and take a lot of time when you are doing 14 hour spectating days in the sun gets really really old after a couple days. The games were continuous pretty much from 8am to 8pm, if you extend caps needlessly you will not be able to get it all in, and you will bore the **** out of the spectators.
My Numbers: 6'2" 225lbs: DL 565, BS 455, FS 400, Clean 330, Jerk 325, C&J 325, Snatch 250, Fran: 2:27, Helen: 6:43
Old 07-26-2012, 09:44 AM   #8
Stu Christensen

Profile:

I think Jeff is right....I promote events for strongman etc and we try to ensure its ALWAYS crowd friendly...almost to the detriment of the athletes sometimes. When its being broadcast online and there are thousands watching in person....I think CF did a great job with the planning and timing of the events...except maybe the team rope climb - but even that one was pretty cool.

You can't please everyone all the time....right?