CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-15-2006, 07:47 PM   #1
John Fox

Profile:
I've been doing crossfit for about 2 weeks now and I'm loving it. The only thing I'm not sure about is that I've been doing sprints or endurance runs after I leave the gym and by like the third day my legs are destroyed. Is this a good idea or should I just be doing crossfit? I must be able to run because I'm in the army reserves. I don't train for the 2 mile though I train for the 5k so my 2 mile will be easy.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:57 AM   #2
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
John,
Sometimes it takes a little while to ramp up to Crossfit. You have just increased your intensity/volume and need time to adjust to it and or re-adjust your recovery time. For some people Crossfit it all they do, others do additional workouts as well. Most people make improvements across the board strength, endurance, power etc. I am not a runner but still do run when it is called for, my running times have improved. My advice is to take some time to adjust to the new training you are doing. Decrease your running but do a few test runs once or twice a week and go from there. I am sure others will also chime in here.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:26 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
John, I would cut back on the sprinting and start working my weaknesses with extra workouts. Most people come to crossfit with low pull-up numbers. Since CF is pull-up centric, I would challenge you to get 40 pull-ups. This will have enormous impact on your ability to lower most WOD times. Search the boards and FAQs for pull-up programs...the Armstrong program is pretty cool.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:12 PM   #4
Pierre Auge

Profile:
John hows this, I'm military I used to run 4 times a week and my running never improved over a two year period. My 2.4km run time was stuck at 10:00 minutes flat. After I quit running almost completely and did CrossFit for two months I ran the 2.4km for an SF selection test and ran it in 9:10. That was close to a year ago and I haven't increased my running at all since and I can almost guarantee that I can run it in close to 8:00 minutes. Maybe better!
Old 04-16-2006, 08:44 PM   #5
John Fox

Profile:
wow pierre thats pretty impressive maybe ill just do a endurance run on a my rest days and stop the sprints. i like running too much to totally kick it. thanks for the advice guys
Old 04-17-2006, 08:02 AM   #6
Peter Queen

Profile:
John:
I have a running background (marathons included) and I run in addition to doing the WODs. I love running and I will never go cold turkey from it either. Admittedly, I have not run as often as I use to before I started CF because now CF is my main cardio and strength building workout. The wonderful thing about doing the WODs and other CF work is that I have burned more body fat in a shorter period of time than before when I was just doing running. The main goal for me is to lose the excess BF, increase my stamina and maintain a better and healthier eating lifestyle. I do not use the word “diet” because that always implies short term thinking. Anyway, when I do go back to running every now and then, I feel better at it and more conditioned than ever. I run through the trails of a large public park in my home area that is packed with a lot of hills. The hills are still very challenging (some are nearly a 60 degree incline) but I can now do those hills with a little less effort than before. And when I am done running these 3 to 4 mile long trails,…(one trail has a hill on it called “Asthma Hill” because you feel like you have it while trying to run up it), I still can pull off a WOD (for rounds) of pushups and pull-ups at the base of this huge observation tower. This has been made possible with CF and with the fact of a 60 % decrease in what used to be my primary cardio work…..running.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:32 PM   #7
William Bontcue

Profile:
I'm a 37 year old male and I found Crossfit in mid December 2005. My background includes running, triathlon, karate, BJJ, weight lifting and teaching Spin classes. I asked many questions and did alot of reading about Crossfit. Since the end of December 2005, I have been doing Crossfit WOD's regularly. I stopped triathlon and a majority of my running. Eventhough I don't run as much as I used too, my 5k and 10k times have dropped with using Crossfit. Now after I complete by WOD, I still incorporate some traditional weight lifting but not nearly as much as I used to do. I dropped about 5-10 pounds and much more body fat. I am 5-10 and I weigh 175. I was never a huge body builder but the shape I am in now is great! My cardio endurance is up, my strength is about the same, my weight is down slightly and my bodyfat is down. Once I doubted Crossfit, but after 5 months of WOD's, I am a believer in Crossfit. Just push yourself sensibly.

(Message edited by wfbont007 on April 17, 2006)