CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-31-2006, 11:37 AM   #1
John Fox

Profile:
I am in the army and have been doing bodybuilding combined with calisthenics, swimming, endurance runs, and sprints. I usually work out for approximately 3 hours a day because I eventually want to be special forces. Is CF a good choice for me to switch to? Also if I do should I add push-ups, ab exercises and more running/swimming to it? I would also like to know how CF has affected peoples APFT scores because I know when I do a lot of bulking in the winter my APFT score drops until I start cutting again.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:37 PM   #2
jacob lee overy

Profile:  
Hey John,
welcome, I am a former Recon Marine and I will just say that this is definatly for guys like us. If you want to be ready for the Green Berets, Rangers, Seals or Recon, this program can get you there. Here is a time PFT for you to try: 500 meter swim under 9:00 minutes
100 push ups in 2 minutes
100 sit ups in 2 minutes
20 pullups
and a 3 mile run under 20 minutes.
If you take this PFT and have someone record your times and score. Do crossfit training for 1 month and do this PFT again. Once you can do this PFT in the times listed above, you will be able to enter any of the special forces programs. Go to www.abmat.com and check that information, about situps and ab exercises, you will something new. Remember, all special forces units want endurance, stamina and strength, because if you cannot go for days without sleep, food, and even water then the special forces are not for you. Not to be negative, just honest, not everybody can make it mentally let alone physically, so in a round about sort of way, I am trying to tell you to do mental drills as well. I have seen some of the most physically fit individuals make the PFT's, but the mental was not there so they failed. Get in touch with the nearest special forces unit you can and try to get some advice on how to prepare yourself mentally as well. Being physically able to do the workouts and such will help with confidence, but after 3-5 days with no sleep and not much food and water and in the most uncomfortable situation you can think of, what is your brain going to be saying.
Good Luck and Have Hella Fun
jake
Old 03-31-2006, 02:10 PM   #3
Jason H. Murray

Profile:  
John,

I too am in the Army, and I was told basically the same thing that Jake said. If I commit to CrossFit and make it a life long change, then SFAS will be nothing. I have been training for SF for the past 3 months, but being deployed has had a big affect on when and where I can train. I am in the gym 2x a day if time allows. I am loving CrossFit every time I do it. There is no routine and it will definitely prep you for SFAS. Also, if you have access to an O-course, go out there and time your self. Then in 1 month do it again and time yourself. Every move I have done and seen in CF has almost a direct conterpart in the O-course. Anyhow, if and when you go, I hope you make it.

-jason
Old 03-31-2006, 06:50 PM   #4
John Messano

Profile:
I recommend reading "What is Crossfit?", "Start Here" and "FAQ". Try CF for a month and decide if it works for you. I trust that it will satisfy your GPP. Meanwhile, as you are discovering, the message board is a great resouce for information, including nutrition.

Good Luck!
Old 03-31-2006, 10:29 PM   #5
John Fox

Profile:
Thanks for the advise guys. I'm going to start the CF routine on monday.