CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-01-2006, 11:49 AM   #1
John Fox

Profile:
So when it says "hang clean 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 reps". What it means is perform the hang clean with the appropriate amount of weight (which i chose to use 115 because I felt really off balance when I dropped my body below the bar. After you get the bar up to the top position and it is at shoulder height you place the bar back on the ground and immediately go again or do you allow a 30 second rest? I immediately went again and the whole workout took less than 5 min. I figure I must be doing something wrong can someone tell me what that is?
Old 04-01-2006, 01:17 PM   #2
Stanley Kunnathu

Profile:
Hang Clean: Bar STARTS just above the knee. Dip down so that the bar is at knee height. JUMP. Catch the bar IN A SQUAT at your shoulders (rack position). Stand up. That's 1. Rack the bar or put it on the ground.

Pick a weight you can handle. Let's say 100lbs. Do the hang clean. Now decide if you could do more than 100 lbs or not. Change weight if necessary. Do it again.

The idea is to find out what your maximum is. So you start a bit lower than max and build up. You have 7 chances to find out your max. Rest as long as you need between to change weights, review form, get a drink, etc.

Personally, given that you are a newbie, that you should worry less about weight and focus on form. Consider this a technique WOD not a Max Effort WOD.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:25 PM   #3
Jason H. Murray

Profile:  
Stanley,

That is exactly what I did. I have done hang cleans before, however I wasn't comfortable with the weight. I started off with 95lbs and moved up to 135lbs. I think I did about 20 in all focusing on slow deliberate movements except for the jump. I think I have my form for this one pretty much done now. Next time I will try for ME.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:58 PM   #4
Bret Parkhill

Profile:
Jason,

I used to think I had decent form for C&J too. Then I got the Explosive Lifting for Sports dvd from USA Weightlifting. It may not be as technical as hitting a golf ball but there are a LOT of little details to the lift.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:20 AM   #5
Jason H. Murray

Profile:  
Bret,

You are correct. I have watched a few videos and read over the back issue of CF Journal that discusses the clean. I did not realize how technical it is. It is not just a simple lift. I think I will make this part of my daily warmup. Just practice a few cleans and work on form.

-jason
Old 04-03-2006, 12:33 PM   #6
Stanley Kunnathu

Profile:
Jason,

Good for you for working on technique. It's a slippery slope when you start to see how big the hopper can get.

I started out with the Rx'ed warmup then added a little handstand work, OL work, ring work, jump training, ab work....:blush:

It got so out of hand that I was bagged before the WOD! :lame:Pick one and work it for a while. Don't be tempted by all the cool things you could try.

You have been warned.