CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-02-2007, 12:57 PM   #1
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
Ok, so I'm unemployed because of an injury and therefore completely broke. My parents are tired of dishing out money so I can buy expensive Paleo foods and refuse to lend me anymore money. If I beg (pathetic, I know, but I'm starving!) I can usually scrounge up about 10 bucks a day if I'm lucky. For the past week I've been living off of whatever fruit is in the house (apples, strawberries, and bananas) carrots, and eggs. I ran out of carrots last night so I'm down to just fruit and eggs now. My calorie intake is probably somewhere around 1000 kcal/day give or take since losing my job, and I'm definitely feeling the effects. My brain feels foggy and I can't concentrate on anything. I've also been getting headaches and stomach aches (from hunger). So, I'm sort of in a predicament because I can either stay Paleo and keep calories low, and just tough it out until I find a new job, or I could incorporate som egrains and dairy products (my parents eat Ezekiel bread and imported cheeses) and some processed lunch meats to meet my calorie needs until I have money to buy all Paleo foods. I've been getting anxiety attacks pretty bad over the last week because of the low calories but from past experience I also know that excess carbs have the same effect on anxiety. Any advice or opinions would help me to decide which route to take. I'm thinking Paleo with CR might be the better option. Who knows what will happen once I throw in grains and dairy, especially at the same time and in larger amounts.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:03 PM   #2
Jordan Glasser

Profile:
IMO eat what's available, it's not going to kill you! Having said that, not changing your diet is, or at least leaving you feeling like crap. Be as smart as you can with what you eat, but, you know that already.

Eat, you need the calories. Get back on track when it's an option for you.

jordan
Old 05-02-2007, 01:21 PM   #3
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Sounds like you need a garden! Or do some work at an organic farm booth at the farmers market on the weekends, my brother in law does that and they let him take home tons of killer produce.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:24 PM   #4
Yael Grauer

Profile:
I feel you!! If you can buy some chicken you can make a really yummy stock and the use chicken in other dishes... Also eggs are pretty cheap. You could always try the Warrior Diet rules... Start with leafy green vegetables, continue with protein cooked vegetables and fat, then finish with carbs. Good luck!

Hope your injury heals up quickly!
Old 05-02-2007, 01:29 PM   #5
Travis Mulroy

Profile:
Have you tried supplimenting with large amounts of olive oil? I remember reading about lifters basically drinking olive oil to up their calories. Chicken drumsticks + olive oil = cheap protien and fat, lots of calories. Not great, but sort of paleo...
Old 05-02-2007, 01:38 PM   #6
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Eggs, Trader Joe's Tongol tuna, olive oil. Cheap protein and decent fats.

You aren't doing well on the carbs and fruit. I'd suggest you even eat the cheese (if you tolerate it) and the processed meats if you need to.

Greg, Paleo + IF (24-hour plan, eat all weekend) could be just the ticket right now.

Getting a job at a health food store may be an option, to get at the extras...

I'll PM you about some other stuff...

Hope some of that helps!
Old 05-02-2007, 03:56 PM   #7
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
Wow, great tips everyone! The olive oil trick seems like a great idea, and since I come from an Italian family olive oil isn't hard to come by! Dr. G, Ironically, I did indeed just apply at my local health food store, so hopefully that works out. Excited to hear from you soon.

Kevin, good point, I think I'll start a garden this summer, my neighbor has one so I can get some pointers from him. Working at a farmers market would be great, the only problem is that the closest one to me is about 45 mins away.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:11 PM   #8
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Periods of shortage were very common among our paleolithic ancestors who for a variety of reasons (mainly climatic) experienced occasional nutritional stress from time to time. More extreme cases such as starvation and death were also prevalent but less frequent. To solve this problem, H$G's ate more than was necessary during times of abundance to ensure against times of scarcity. Modern H&G's practice this pattern as well.

If possible, try to keep reminding yourself that things will return back to normal before you know it and in the meantime, you'll just continue to do what you have to do to get by. Look at it as a long, cold harsh winter you're up against right now. Eat only between 5pm and 10pm. I'm doing that now and it is getting easier and easier by the day.

Greg, stick to paleo foods as much as you can but don't completely scare away from grains. Have a tuna sandwich with whole grain bread if you so desire.

Most importantly, stay positive! If you're as strong as I think you are, you'll bounce back in no time and remember this as nothing more than a little bump in the road. A mere test of your perseverance.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:28 PM   #9
Garrett Smith

Profile:
To follow on what Steve said, the chiropractor I work with loves this saying:

"This is the kind of that memories are made of..."

Hunger is what drives humans to do anything.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:30 PM   #10
Scott Parker

Profile:
just my 2 cents-

try eating zone for a week with what you have available at your parents house and take in an adequate amount of blocks and see how you feel, then make the decision if it's worth all the stress your putting yourself through. i used to be strict paleo, and opted not to eat if paleo wasnt available. it didnt work. at 6'2" and 165 lbs. (now 172-174lbs.) i couldn't afford not to eat. i struggled with paleo for years until coming to crossfit san diego about two months ago and talked to several of the trainers there. i would hit a wall every WOD on the first round and felt like crap. one of the trainers actually told me that i was scaring her because i was turning white and was shaking. i really felt like crap. i finally broke down and took their advice, and started eating zone, adding dairy and bread. the results have been amazing, and its only been a bit over a week that i have been eating this way. now its mostly mental to get through a WOD, where before i literally had no reserve to push myself. i was out of gas. i knocked like 3+ minutes of the Nancy WOD and did the OHS without breaking them up into sets, but before all this i was like you and stuck by paleo.
my point to all of this is, are you so stuck on paleo that you believe that you perform better given your current situation and resources and food you have available to stick with it compared to eating zone adding in dairy and some grains? i would take a look at how you're performing now. sounds like it isn't working out. bottom line is you absolutely need to eat, period. i know it probably isn't what you want to hear, but make due with what you have available until your situation changes. if all you have to eat for protein one day is turkey breast or nothing, eat the turkey breast. the extra isn't going to kill you, and isn't going to give you high blood pressure or affect you in any way long term. you're young and your kidneys are healthy there's this thing called homeostasis that your body does to balance everything out.