CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-26-2006, 10:31 AM   #1
John Fox

Profile:
ok I am an impatient person who for years has been working out trying to lose body fat but it just doesn't happen to the point I want it to. Right now I'm using the warrior diet (about 1200 calories a day) because I wasn't getting the body fat drop results from the zone that I wanted however the performance gains on the zone heavily outweigh the warrior diet in my opinion. Physically I can do about 75% of the WODs as RXed and I run 2-3 times a week and do additional ab exercises.
My typical 18 block day looks like this(any pointers would be appreciated)
0930 Wakeup
1000-1130 Workout
1200 Breakfast:
Whey Protein /w water (28g protein/1g carb)
2/3 cup dry instant oatmeal
2 macadamia nuts
1400 Snack:
2 oz tuna
1 apple
2 macadamia nuts
1600 Lunch:
4 oz griled chicken
4 block carbs from frozen veggies
4 macadamia nuts
1800 snack:
2 oz tuna
1 apple or orange
2 macadamia
2000 dinner:
4 oz chicken
4 blocks carbs from frozen veggies
4 macadamias
2200 snack:
whey protein (28g protein/1 carb)
no carb
4 macadamias
0100-0200 bedtime
This is almost everyday because i have no problem eating the same thing all the time. Sometimes I eat almonds instead of macadamias or fish instead of chicken but thats about it. Maybe once a week I will have ground beef/steak for dinner but thats not often. My only vice is I do drink a few cups of Coffee throughout the day with a splash of milk no sugar in it.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:33 AM   #2
John Fox

Profile:
Oh yeah I forgot to say but I'm 5"10" 170lbs not sure but probably somewheres in the 13-15% bf range.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:07 AM   #3
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Get rid of the dairy (whey, milk) and grains (oatmeal). Search the board for the "why".

If you could get to bed any earlier that would likely help you as well.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:33 PM   #4
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
A couple of things I see right away:
1) too many blocks. I think you should probably cut back. At 150lbs of LBM you should probably be around 15 blocks.

2) Ditch the whey protein and add salmon. Get some more fish oils in your diet.

3) Eat that last bunch of carbs before bed. I think they'll help you sleep better.

4) Yeah, ditch the grains & dairy. Get some more fruit in you. Otherwise, it's looking good.

I think the most important thing is dropping those two extra blocks. You'll shed faster and then can start putting some more fat blocks into the diet.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:36 PM   #5
Charlie Jackson

Profile:
Physically I can do about 75% of the WODs as RXed and I run 2-3 times a week and do additional ab exercises.

what do you mean by 75%? You gas out and can't finish them or you don't have the physical strength/skills to do handstand pushups, overhead squats, etc?

Fat burning requires cardiovascular fitness. An out of shape person burns a lot of sugar, especially during exercise. If your blood sugar is low, that means you're converting muscle to sugar. That's why out of shape people make no progress on a reduce calorie diet when trying to change their body composition. They lose muscle and fat at the same ratio.

If you don't have the energy to complete the workouts, I'd work on your fitness and stay away from the low calorie diets that deprive you of energy. Then once your fitess improves, cut the calories and you'll probably get better results.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:45 PM   #6
Elliot Royce

Profile:
I think with 1200 calories your whole approach is going to backfire. You're going to put your body into starvation mode and not have the energy for exercise or for muscle growth. People forget that your lean body mass burns more calories per week than all the exercise you are likely to do. Increase LBM by 10lbs and you're burning a lot of extra calories (check out John Berardi's articles for further information).

Personally, I would follow the advice about going back to the Zone with fewer than 18 blocks. Fat loss is just going to take time. If you can lose 0.5lb of fat per week for 20weeks and put on 0.5lb of muscle per week over the same period, you'll be really pleased with the transformation.

The problem with these crash diets is that it's impossible to stay on them. Avoiding extremes is the key in losing weight. The nice thing about the Zone is that you don't feel cravings or starving all the time. Your brain is wired to find food, it's as basic as sex. So feed yourself in way which tricks the brain into feeling as satisfied as it would with a pizza and ice cream.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:26 PM   #7
Charles Steven Ossenheimer

Profile:
So feed yourself in way which tricks the brain into feeling as satisfied as it would with a pizza and ice cream.

Elliot,
What exactly do u mean by this? What are some examples? I am not sure i understand how you can trick your body into thinking its taking in pizza or ice cream, while really eating chicken or such...please explain...
Old 05-27-2006, 01:20 AM   #8
John Fox

Profile:
thanks for the advice guys. when I say 75% of the WOD what I mean is that I break sets. I always complete all of the exercise. My biggest weakness is ring dip days because there are no rings in my gym and I cannot do 5 sets of 30 or so regular dips. I break sets a lot kinda. I'm working on it tho.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:20 AM   #9
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Charles,
I think what Elliot was getting at is that the Zone diet regulates your insulin levels during the day. On the Zone you eat 3 meals and 2 snacks at regular intervals. All the meals and snacks are supposed to be a balance of 40% carb, 30% protein & 30% good fat. By doing this your insulin levels don't spike or drop and thus your hormonal balance is regulated somewhat. The result is that you feel less cravings, you feel sated and overall your body and mind are happier.

There is a reason it's called "the Zone." When you're in the Zone you feel great and focused. When you are not in the zone you feel it: You get more cravings; You get more sore after workouts.

John, I think if you drop 2 blocks and get a little more strict with the diet, you'll drop those extra few pounds. Try just dropping one block this week and another the next week. Then give it two more weeks at 15 blocks and see how you feel.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:26 PM   #10
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Took the words out of my mouth, Keith (actually your words were better!). I probably could have been more precise. Arguably, a triple ice cream sundae DOES taste better than a grassfed beef patty but at least you don't have your endocrine system working against you when you stay in the Zone.