CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #11
Tim Donahey

Profile:
Re: phys ed midterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J Rader View Post
My 2 cents have the students give you what they want to achieve and create a program that students can follow in groups.
I only wish my HS PhysEd had done this and really got us thinking about goal setting and what WE wanted to achieve and then laid out a plan to help us achieve it.

Instead we learned how to play badminton.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #12
Bill Peabody

Profile:

We have 2 boys 10 & 13. They are pretty physically fit and very active.

The question I would have is are you scaling or grading on some type of curve and rewarding growth as much or more then who in the class did best?

My 13 year old does x-country, basketball, baseball and occasionally does crossfit with me at the box I go to. He would have a hard time with the 50 push ups & burpee's.

He does not mind working out but I think he would not enjoy your gym class.

His x-country coach does a great job of keeping the practices fun. He is very creative and lets the kids blow off steam often. They have a huge inclusive team and yet consistently win their district. Their Middles School is about 400 kids and over the team this year is over 50 kids.

Please do not get me wrong, I think what you are doing is a great start and glad to see you thinking outside of the normal ideas for your kids.

Bill
Old 09-07-2012, 10:00 AM   #13
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Peabody View Post
We have 2 boys 10 & 13. They are pretty physically fit and very active.

The question I would have is are you scaling or grading on some type of curve and rewarding growth as much or more then who in the class did best?

My 13 year old does x-country, basketball, baseball and occasionally does crossfit with me at the box I go to. He would have a hard time with the 50 push ups & burpee's.

He does not mind working out but I think he would not enjoy your gym class.

His x-country coach does a great job of keeping the practices fun. He is very creative and lets the kids blow off steam often. They have a huge inclusive team and yet consistently win their district. Their Middles School is about 400 kids and over the team this year is over 50 kids.

Please do not get me wrong, I think what you are doing is a great start and glad to see you thinking outside of the normal ideas for your kids.

Bill
Hey Bill, if you don't mind me asking which box do you attend in Spokane?
Old 09-07-2012, 03:53 PM   #14
Bill Peabody

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Wintczak View Post
Hey Bill, if you don't mind me asking which box do you attend in Spokane?
I go to Crossfit Spokane.

Do you workout at home or a box or both? If you use a box which one?

Thanks
Bill
Old 09-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #15
Ben Kissam

Profile:

I'm in school to be a physical educator. First off, man.... don't use the term gym teacher. "Gym teachers" are the people who give PE a bad reputation. The coach who can't wait for practice after school carrying a coffee mug all day. The physical educator is someone who works with students who may NEVER have a chance to learn about physical activity for the rest of their lives and does their best to teach them as much as possible about making it part of their lifestyle. I've learned to take offense to the term since I went to college. Some outsiders may read that and laugh, thinking I want credit for doing something "easy" or whatever, but when PE is taught correctly it is quite honestly the most important subject. That's my opinion however, but you can't do math or science if you acquire a disease from being sedentary and unhealthy your entire life.

Anyway, about your midterm. You have to test and re-test no matter what you pick or it won't mean anything.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:17 PM   #16
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Ha!

I work with great high school jocks back in the day..... But ask them how many nickels make a dollar twenty five? Answer is..... Never was good in math.

Physical Ed most important? Okay. Presidential fitness test is now a college entry requirement?
Old 09-12-2012, 04:12 AM   #17
Ben Kissam

Profile:

I'm not referring to any standards or anything. I mean in the grand scheme of things, when you break it down, the knowledge of movement, fitness, health etc. are going to be more lifelong than any other school subject.

A lot of people had bad experiences with PE, which is very accurate and the reason why people are removing it from their schools like a bad habit. That still doesn't mean that proper PE isn't extremely beneficial.