CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-21-2012, 07:04 AM   #11
Scott McIntyre

Profile:
Re: Conversion to standing desk

Here is mine, the back office is a mess in my studio, so just ignore it. Clients dont come back here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	361
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	9433  
Old 06-21-2012, 07:07 AM   #12
Kurt Kendall

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ray View Post
For what it's worth, I'd really like to see if someone has adopted this in a professional setting (not that those posted aren't).
My company recently relocated to new offices and all desks are now the adjustable Haworth desks. At first almost everyone was standing for at least part of the day, now only a few people really use them. The are very professional looking desks.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:54 AM   #13
David Kiesling

Profile:

It might not be what you want, but have you tried a knee chair? I used a standing desk for 5 years. I found that I was constantly shifting my feet and leaning on the desk. I'm back to a sitting desk, but now I'm considering a knee chair because it turns out it's a conventional chair that I'm really trying to get away from.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:20 AM   #14
Jon Gilson

Profile:

At Again Faster HQ, we went Ikea all the way. If you buy their stand alone countertops (~$50 each) and four telescoping legs, you can get a four foot desk for around $100.

They look professional (we went white counters and grey legs) and do the trick.

Our tallest guy (6'4") needed some additional height, so he bought bed risers on Amazon. They're about $20 delivered.

Hope that helps!
Old 06-21-2012, 08:29 AM   #15
John C Corona

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kiesling View Post
...I found that I was constantly shifting my feet and leaning on the desk. I'm back to a sitting desk, but now I'm considering a knee chair because it turns out it's a conventional chair that I'm really trying to get away from.
I feel the same, though I love having the option to stand or sit. Proper posture is constant work no matter if you are standing or sitting. With my foot board, when I get tired or lazy and slump with one foot up, it torques my spine possibly worse than if I slumped in a chair. Again, good posture needs constant work...but probably the most important thing for us to DO RIGHT.

To the OP, that first solution should be buildable with home depot materials, without having to go to Ikea. Otherwise you are purchasing something more than a few hundred dollars.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN5496.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	9434  
Old 06-21-2012, 10:01 AM   #16
Cole Conrad

Profile:

I do prefer standing at my desk, but I've found that my heels always hurt (feel like they are burning). I need to move around, but a treadmill desk crosses the line into the ridiculous.

Maybe the bicycle seat leaning system will be the next wave, but I'm dubious.
http://www.focaluprightfurniture.com/ (WFS)
Old 06-21-2012, 10:21 AM   #17
Martin McSweeney

Profile:

Hey, I was thinking about an upright desk and liked the link to the Ikea parts. However, one needs a desk that would accommodate the standing desk, correct? Not complaining as that would only be about $30-40 more, well within my budget.

Thanks for the link.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:26 AM   #18
David Sigmon

Profile:

Thanks so much for the links and help fellas. I think I'm going to go to Target or some other place nearby (would do IKEA but thats like 2 hours away) and find some small tables. From there I'll find another way to lift my keyboard and mouse. I need to get hoppin on this bc it's killing me slowly everyday haha.

My issue is that I'm VERY tight in the hip/groin area. So I'll go to the box 30-40 min early and literally spend that entire time warming up, WOD, stretch a little more then go home eat and pass out. I'll wake up with HORRIBLE throbbing pain in my hip flexors and groin area. I'm assuming those muscles and tendons are extremely short from years of sitting while working then I stretch them to hell then they are shortening or something that that effect again at night? I just need to have the change to lengthen everything and keep them that way instead of immediately going back to sitting the following day.

Also, kstar uses this at his desk at home. You can lean back and keep good posture instead of sitting down.

Name:	7e93f0b9-ebef-449f-a02e-c748a8f39d0d_300.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	9435
Old 06-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #19
Bill Peabody

Profile:

I work from home and have been planning on doing something similar to this wall desk example http://www.instructables.com/id/Wall...d-Bookshelves/
Old 06-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #20
Kent Newland

Profile:

A friend of mine made her own tread-desk, if I understand correctly. If you're interested in that, I can ask her how she did it. She too has had neck and back problems, and it seems to work very well for her.

Kent