CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 09-11-2006, 04:13 PM   #1
Thomas Beasley

Profile:
For a little backgrounf information. About a month ago I noticed an extreme pain in and below my left knee while hiking off mount moran and then a few days later when coming down mount timpanagos. After I returned from my trip, I had an emergency appendectomy. At the two week checkup I was talking to the doctor and asked her about what I thought it was and what she thought it might be.

Both the doctor and I agreed that it sounds like a torn meniscus or it could be inflamed and stressed. The only way to be know 100% would be a xray and exam.

Now I know the best course of action would be to go to orthopedic surgeon and have an exam. But I have been uninsured since recently graduating college, and that could be/ would be a little expensive. Not to mention I now have a huge bill due to the appendectomy.

My question to others who have previously gone through meniscus rehab, what exercises did you do for rehab? Also are there any things to do make it any better?
Old 09-11-2006, 05:48 PM   #2
Jake Thompson

Profile:
Knee pain does not indicate a meniscus tear, does it lock/catch, did you feel a pop at any time? Medial or lateral knee?

As far as exercises the meniscus gets its nutrition from compression (walking) and distraction (traction).

Here is a pretty good test of meniscus injury.

Stand on injured leg, partial squat (15-20 degrees of flexion) and rotate side to side. This will impinge the meniscus and cause pn.

Let me know what you find.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:26 PM   #3
Thomas Beasley

Profile:
It locks and catches during periods of inactivity. An example being when I sit in a chair with my legs crossed or try to straighten my legs in the morning after waking up is extrememly painful and takes a few minutes before I can completely straighten my leg.

I actually tried this a couple weeks ago, when doing pistols. I could not even complete one on my left leg. When I would get about half way to parallel and my knee would more or less buckle. However when coming from bottom to top there was no pain.

what do you mean by traction?
Old 09-12-2006, 06:07 AM   #4
Jake Thompson

Profile:
Medial or Lateral knee?
Yes this does make a difference, did you try the partial squat and rotation. YOu may need to hold on to something and go full ROM both directions, unless there is pn than stop. Did your knee swell much?

That catch can be an instability, DJD of the Patellofemoral joint, several things. I need the full history and results of partial squat test.

Where are you located? May have someone to help you.

Traction is unweighting, or even pulling on leg. You can use ankle weights and sit for 5-10 minutes distracting the joint. This is very usefull for arthritis, or DJD which is basically the meniscus is gone.
Very low weight high repitition leg press, pn free, anything where you are moving your knee and it does not cause pn is a good activity.

Apologize for randomness of thoughts, still getting my first cup of coffee.