CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-03-2009, 01:18 AM   #51
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: One month in, but only one pound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
I thought diet sodas were really bad though. Maybe not as bad as the sugar filled glee of a regular soda, but bad nonetheless.
They are.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:19 AM   #52
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
They are.
I know. I just want to know why he said they aren't as bad as some say they are. I know why everyone else dislikes them, I want to know why he was saying what he said.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:43 PM   #53
Sydney Everhart

Profile:
Cool Re: One month in, but only one pound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe DeAngelo View Post
So Iíve just completed my first month of CrossFit. Yay me! Iím toning up like a mofo, dropping visible body fat, but it seems my muscling up is completely offsetting any fat loss therefor Iím still way heavier than I should be. Anyway, in one month Iíve only lost about 1lb of overall weight. The good news is Iím seeing a difference, clothes fit better etc. While thatís well and good, based on what youíve all experienced when should I expect the muscle building to plateau and the fat loss to overtake it thereby dropping my overall weight?
Hey Joe,

I'm in the same boat as you. I started April 1 and have only lost one pound. When I asked my trainer (Adam Head) a similar question about what an ideal weight is for me, this was his response in an email:

"Instead of weight or body fat, try to focus on performance based goals. Running a mile in x amount of minutes, or doing 10 pull ups. Complete fight gone bad with a score of 250, etc. . .These goals will push your fitness capacity to the next level. The cool thing about greater and greater fitness levels is that the body will not put up with excess weight, excess fat, poor flexibility, etc. . . in pursuit of those goals. So, like I said before, form follows function therefore aesthetics follow fitness capacity."

So, with that said, stop worrying about the weight and start worrying about the girls...

Sydney
Old 05-04-2009, 01:01 PM   #54
Laura Kurth

Profile:

Focusing on performance goals and whatnot - "don't worry about the number on the scale!" is all well and good, but at 5'6 and 212 pounds there isn't really any debate that you need to lose weight. Unless you have freak genetics or take alot of drugs, you are unlikely going to end up with 212 being anything close to your weight when you have reached an acceptable level of lean-ness.

Anyway I suggest you start logging everything you eat for a while in fitday or something, weighing stuff (because an ounce of nuts is usually a lot less than you might think etc.) and find out how many calories you are really eating. Count everything, even the 'bad' days/meals.

Therein you will find your answer....

When you have a full week of food logging under your belt, you can post up the link to the public log for everyone to tear you apart. Ahem... I mean, give you advice
Old 10-19-2009, 07:07 AM   #55
John Jaeckel

Profile:

I'm two months in and struggling with the same "perceptual" issue. The scale says I've lost 6.5 pounds, but the mirror says something else.

My guess is, Joe is a mesomorph, and like me, can gain muscle fast. That's why, if he's improving in terms of performance in the gym and how he looks, he's probably losing more fat than he realizes, while gaining muscle. the best trade-off of all.

Joe, I am no expert, but at my age, and especially through the last two months, I've realized the negative effect of processed foods and starches in my diet. I would cut out 75% of the grain in your diet. 4 slices of bread a day (whether in toast or sandwiches) is too much.

I keep a big jug of almonds on my desk at work to nosh on throughout the day and I get 75-80% of my carbs from fruit and vegetables (green leafy type, spinach, lettuce, greens, broccoli, onionsó NO potatoes or corn).

I still have a few glasses of red wine and the odd beer or two now and then. Need to cut back on those, but it's working regardless.

Diet pop is poison and probably is spiking your insulin too. Go with water with lemon.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:46 AM   #56
Dom Fruci

Profile:

RUN RUN RUN...Weight will come off.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:48 AM   #57
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom Fruci View Post
Did you read the rest of the thread? At the OP's weight, "RUN RUN RUN" is a recipe for knee injuries. Sit on a couch while your knee heals, and watch the weight go back on.

Katherine
Old 10-19-2009, 11:14 AM   #58
Justin McGinley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom Fruci View Post
I prefer:

Eat well, train hard, repeat...Weight will come off.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:24 PM   #59
Joe DeAngelo

Profile:

It's been a while since I updated my status. Overall I'm down about 13lbs, but I hurt my back in July and had to take 2 months off. I'm back now and will have to post more.

My diet is certainly my weakest element of fitness. Always has been. I work through lunch most days and end up with fast food of some sort. I do try to go for the "healthiest" offerings, but some days when you're just in a rush or having mad cravings it is what it is.

Anyway, I did the tape and impedance testing a while back and I lost about 4" off my waist and gained 1.5" on my arms. According to the numbers I lost something like 30lbs of fat and gained somewhere in the neighborhood of 20lbs of muscle. People who hadn't seen me in 6 months are stunned by how much better I look, so I'd have to say the numbers aren't that far off the mark.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:53 PM   #60
Eric S. Jensen

Profile:

Sounds like you've made some awesome results! There's nothing better than running into people you haven't seen in a while. I just spent the last 15 minutes reading all the posts in this thread. One thing that really stands out in your last post is that you don't plan ahead for lunch. If I know I have a busy day I will grab some food to take with me. Throw it in a cooler if it needs to stay cold. I think it actually takes longer to hit a fast food joint at lunch then it does to walk into a grocery store and grab something good to eat. Read this article from the crossfit journal if you haven't already.

http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/FastFoodDec02.pdf