CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-28-2009, 01:32 PM   #1
Joakim Adzievski

Profile:
Some WODs seems to short

Hi!

Im new to crossfit and have just done a couple of WODs and they have taken about 20-25 min i think. But when i look at the demos some people do some a WODs on 4 minutes 6 minutes and even 2 (:O) minutes.

So my question is arent 4 minutes way to short time to be working out? I know i know, these guys and girls are really fast, but just for future refferences.

Best wishes Joakim
Old 10-28-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Some WODs seems to short

Scale the weight down until you can do Fran in under five minutes and then tell us what you think. Those short workouts are brutal, precisely because they're so short that people can go all out.

Remember, also, that Crossfit is the entire program. You can't evaluate the individual workouts in isolation. Neither Fran nor 1 RM deadlifts are adequate by themselves, and CF doesn't claim that they are.

Katherine
Old 10-28-2009, 01:56 PM   #3
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

I have a couple points or observations.

1. I would say an average girl named WOD seems to be on average around 10minutes. I don't think you will be doing a real long WOD unless it's a Murph, 5k run, or Strength day (i.e. 1-1-1-1's or 5-5-5-5's).

2. A good general purpose warmup should run you about 20 minutes just to get your body prepared for in intense 10min girl named WOD. So that right there puts you easily at around 30 minutes for even a short WOD.

3. It probably took those people you are seeing with 4 minute WOD times a while to get in that type of condition.

4. Some people do other stuff in addition to the WOD like practice O'Lifts, hand stands, Crossfit endurance WOD, etc.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:59 PM   #4
Diego Sommariva

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim Adzievski View Post
Hi!

Im new to crossfit and have just done a couple of WODs and they have taken about 20-25 min i think. But when i look at the demos some people do some a WODs on 4 minutes 6 minutes and even 2 (:O) minutes.

So my question is arent 4 minutes way to short time to be working out? I know i know, these guys and girls are really fast, but just for future refferences.

Best wishes Joakim
I did Fran today for the first time. Just got out of a cold/flu and at about 85-90% capacity. I took 7:30 to do it, but believe me, if I'd stopped after just 2 rounds (around 4-5 minutes) I'd have still needed 10 minutes to recover.
I also thought as you did, but as Katherine has said you gotta take it ALL into account, not just one WOD. When you go down that street you gotta compare to other disciplines: Is Body Building just about doing biceps curls? Nope. You got Smith Machine half squats also *snicker*

Seriously though, do one of those fast WODs and when you get out of the ICU come and tell us what you think :P

Diego
Old 10-28-2009, 02:30 PM   #5
Shane Skowron

Profile:

I'm going to disagree with some conventional Crossfit wisdom here.

Too often I see people recommending something like "if you really pushed as hard as you could, you wouldn't be able to do more." I disagree with that. I think if someone is just looking for general fitness and health, then maybe a five minute workout is going to be enough.

But if someone has lofty fitness goals they want to attain, telling someone that they shouldn't have energy after a CrossFit WOD to do another one is just silly. I did a 2:42 Fran a few weeks ago, and I was tired for about an hour. But then after that, I was ready to do another WOD, and I set a big PR on a hilly run I'd been doing for years. So much for the idea that Fran is supposed to wipe you out for the rest of the day.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:09 PM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Too often I see people recommending something like "if you really pushed as hard as you could, you wouldn't be able to do more." I disagree with that. I think if someone is just looking for general fitness and health, then maybe a five minute workout is going to be enough.

But if someone has lofty fitness goals they want to attain, telling someone that they shouldn't have energy after a CrossFit WOD to do another one is just silly. I did a 2:42 Fran a few weeks ago, and I was tired for about an hour. But then after that, I was ready to do another WOD, and I set a big PR on a hilly run I'd been doing for years. So much for the idea that Fran is supposed to wipe you out for the rest of the day.
As one of the people who gives that advice regularly, I think it's wise for a new Crossfitter to limit volume until they adapt to these workouts. Especially at the beginning, overtraining is a far bigger risk than undertraining. Undertraining never put anyone in the hospital. Overtraining can and has.

You're absolutely correct that a more experienced person with more specific goals may need to do something different from and/or in addition to the WOD. But someone with a sub-3:00 Fran probably isn't looking for advice in the Starting Forum.

Katherine

Last edited by Katherine Derbyshire : 10-28-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:44 PM   #7
Joakim Adzievski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Scale the weight down until you can do Fran in under five minutes and then tell us what you think. Those short workouts are brutal, precisely because they're so short that people can go all out.

Remember, also, that Crossfit is the entire program. You can't evaluate the individual workouts in isolation. Neither Fran nor 1 RM deadlifts are adequate by themselves, and CF doesn't claim that they are.

Katherine
Okok. My plan with cross fit was to use it as an addition to regular training. Ex runnung twice a week + gym twice + cross fit once. But maby crossfit is something you follow entirely more than something to spice the regular exercie with. Am i right?
Old 10-28-2009, 04:50 PM   #8
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Okok. My plan with cross fit was to use it as an addition to regular training. Ex runnung twice a week + gym twice + cross fit once. But maby crossfit is something you follow entirely more than something to spice the regular exercie with. Am i right?

I guess it depends on what your goal for training is.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:11 PM   #9
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
What Shane said. What are your goals? If you just want general fitness, Crossfit will probably give more benefit per gym hour than just about anything else you could do. If you're looking for something more specific, then your programming should reflect that.

Most people advise against just picking a few CF workouts because different workouts build different things. If you aren't doing the whole program you won't get all the benefits. (To use a crude example, if you avoid workouts with pullups, you obviously won't improve your pullup strength much.) But, again, whether that matters depends on your goals and what else you're doing.

Mixing CF with other stuff can also create recovery issues, especially at first. CF workouts look much easier than they are.

Katherine
Old 10-29-2009, 08:03 AM   #10
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Everyone is different. If you think it's too short, do it twice.