CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-27-2007, 05:08 PM   #1
Jay Nel

Profile:
KB price per pound...

I'm in the market for some KB's so I called a few local fitness equipment suppliers and got two qoutes per pound for KB's:

1.30/pp
1.80/pp

I'm not sure how this ranks with some online dealers I've seen discussed on the forums. Obviously, I wouldn't have to pay shipping because I live close enough, but I would still have to pay tax. Are KB's something you can just go out and buy or should you really get a feel for the different makes or finishes?
Old 11-28-2007, 12:23 AM   #2
Tom Corrigan

Profile:
Re: KB price per pound...

Jay,

you wouldn't buy a gun by the pound, would you? Details matter. Price is only one factor - quality is most important. A good KB you'll use forever, a bad one will become a very expensive doorstop.

Do a search of this Forum- there have been a few enlightening discussions on this subject. Cast Iron Dragondoors are good but expensive, K2s and Muscledriver make nice ones that cost a bit less. K2 makes the best 18# KB in the world - a solid aluminum one the size of a cast iron 35#, but with a nicer sized handle that most women love. The First Place KBs at Performbetter.com are good quality at reasonable prices.

Do you have OMNI fitness Stores in your area? They should carry Apollo KBs - get the lighter gray ones with the smoother handles. I can send you a picture if you email me at kbfiremantom AT yahoo.com

Tom
Old 11-28-2007, 05:44 AM   #3
Carrick Longley

Profile:

Jay,

Although this is my first post to CrossFit's message board, I have been around the fitness community for awhile.

Nevertheless, I just purchased a First Place 16kg KB from Performbetter.com for $61.45 shipped. It's good quality and shipping only took 4 days.

SF,

Carrick
Old 11-28-2007, 08:02 AM   #4
Jay Nel

Profile:

Tom, Omni fitness is in my area and they are the one's that have the KB's at $1.30 a pound. Not sure if they are Apollos or not. I recall hearing that the Apollos were decent. I'll email you to get a look at them so I know what to look for when I go to Omni. Thanks.

I know what you mean about quality. I grabbed a KB in Target the other day and did a couple of snatches. I could feel my palms about to peel off. Hopefully there are better KB's out there.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:00 AM   #5
Brian Jossen

Profile:

Tom! I saw a muscledriver is having huge blowout sale! check it out here: muscledriver.comyou'll end up saving and most importantly piece-of-mind in know you got good qual.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:06 AM   #6
Jim Denofa

Profile:

you guys should check out sportsmith k-bells. i'm thinking of getting a set from them soon, they are inexpensive and color coded. i have never used them before but they look pretty nice.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:47 AM   #7
Brian Jossen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Jossen View Post
Tom! I saw a muscledriver is having huge blowout sale! check it out here: muscledriver.comyou'll end up saving and most importantly piece-of-mind in know you got good qual.
Bad link above. Apparently someone's e-commerce link. This one is to the KB sale at MuscleDriver.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:34 PM   #8
Tom Corrigan

Profile:

After looking at the Sportsmith, I wouldn't recommend them for anything besides swings and holding with two hands.

The handle is too flat and wide in the middle, and the handle isn't tall enough to sit correctly on the forearm. Again, if you only do a few reps of swings, no big deal, but if you want to snatch, clean and jerk, etc., then don't get them.