CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-02-2012, 04:45 AM   #1
Lakshmi Subramanian

Profile:
Sharp Muscle Pain on the Right Shoulder

Hello Peeps,
I would appreciate if you guys are help me understand what's happening with my right shoulder. I was trying to do broomstick squats one evening and all off sudden I felt a sharp pain on the right shoulder.

Being not sure, I discontinued at that point. I consulted with a general MD and he said there is a ligament tear and he gave a spray and an few tablets. I still feel the pain here and there and have not lifted till now.

I'm was doing Strong Lifts and now its on hold till I figure this thing out. The doctor said, its an ligament tear ( an internal scar ) and is vulnerable to get injured again. I'm itching to continue with Strong Lifts again, but don't want to do something and make it worse.

Can you guys help me understand what's happening and what preventive measures I should take to keep progressing..

Thanks
Lakshmi
Old 01-02-2012, 07:24 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Sharp Muscle Pain on the Right Shoulder

If you want a real diagnosis, see an orthopedic doc.

If you want a guess by myself, we can do that..

1. Google a pic and mark where it hurts.

2. What exercises hurt? Which shoulder articulations hurt? Make sure you check both with passive motion and resistive/active motion. wfs
http://www.exrx.net/Articulations/Shoulder.html

3. What type of pain is it? Burning? Ache? Tingling? Sharp?

4. What would you rate the pain at on a 0/10 scale? 0 being no pain, 10 being go to the emergency room.

5. Acute or chronic (chronic more than ~6-8 weeks)? What date was onset? How has the pain improved since the initial injury?

6. Have you been training through pain? If so, how long?

7. How deep is the pain? Is it more superficial tissues? Or does it seem to be more inside or around the joint? Describe it.

8. What have you been doing for recovery purposes?

9. What seems to help? What seems to make it worse? Is it constant? Does it increase/decrease with certain activities?

10. Check the tissue quality of the surrounding muscles. Which ones are tight? Which ones are tender? Is there any swelling?

11. How does it feel after exercise (if any)? How does it feel at the beginning of the day? How about the end of the day?

12. Any previous injury history?

13. How's your posture?

14. What is your current workout routine for that bodypart? Do you play any sports?

15. Any other information I should be aware of or that comes to mind that may help?
Old 01-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #3
Lakshmi Subramanian

Profile:

Please find my answers inserted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
If you want a real diagnosis, see an orthopedic doc.

If you want a guess by myself, we can do that..

1. Google a pic and mark where it hurts.
2. What exercises hurt? Which shoulder articulations hurt? Make sure you check both with passive motion and resistive/active motion. wfs

http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/DeltoidLateral.html

3. What type of pain is it? Burning? Ache? Tingling? Sharp?
Sharp

4. What would you rate the pain at on a 0/10 scale? 0 being no pain, 10 being go to the emergency room.
When it was there it was about 4. Now about 1 or 0.5

5. Acute or chronic (chronic more than ~6-8 weeks)? What date was onset? How has the pain improved since the initial injury?
Acute. About 2 weeks ago. It has improved a lot. Today I did some bench press and there was little discomfort. But was able to lift the weights.

6. Have you been training through pain? If so, how long?
Been doing Squats on Tabata Intervals every morning. Just today did some bench press.

7. How deep is the pain? Is it more superficial tissues? Or does it seem to be more inside or around the joint? Describe it.
Seems more of superficial tissues. Around joint

8. What have you been doing for recovery purposes?
Taking some relaxant medication and a gel.

9. What seems to help? What seems to make it worse? Is it constant? Does it increase/decrease with certain activities?
It seems to have helped. Sometimes during certain activities, I feel the pain.

10. Check the tissue quality of the surrounding muscles. Which ones are tight? Which ones are tender? Is there any swelling?
No swelling

11. How does it feel after exercise (if any)? How does it feel at the beginning of the day? How about the end of the day?

12. Any previous injury history?
Not in my shoulder though. I have patella femoral syndrome.

13. How's your posture?
My posture has been good for a long time.

14. What is your current workout routine for that bodypart? Do you play any sports?
No sport. I felt the pain when I was doing broom stick squats. After that I stopped any shoulder related exercise. Just today I did some bench press. It may not be directly for Deltoid Lateral, but it involves to some degree.

15. Any other information I should be aware of or that comes to mind that may help?

Could diet be part of it? Stretching?
Old 01-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Well, when you don't answer questions thoroughly I can't really help that much since I don't have any type of better idea what it could potentially be.

Although if the pain is in the deltoid area that doesn't seem like it would be a ligament tear to me. But then again, I'm no doc.

Non-painful mobility work is good though. And general rotator cuff work will probably be fine. YOu may be able to make it back into regular exercise if you go the: mobility -> RC -> isolations -> compounds route.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #5
Lakshmi Subramanian

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Non-painful mobility work is good though. And general rotator cuff work will probably be fine. YOu may be able to make it back into regular exercise if you go the: mobility -> RC -> isolations -> compounds route.
Steven, Thanks. I tried my best to answer your questions. Now, yesterdays bench press was ok it seemed. However I feel little comfort while doing some minor households..for instance when I'm squeezing lemon, or washing dishes or stirring something while cooking, I feel the pain.

RC-> Isolations..is that progression referring in some site?

Thanks
Lakshmi
Old 01-03-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

no... mobility -> rotator cuff exercise -> isolation exercise -> compound exercise

That's general though.

Depending on your actual condition that typical rehab progress may or may not make your issue worse. No way to tell unless you get a diagnosis from a doc