CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-25-2007, 08:28 PM   #1
John Filippini

Profile:
What to pack for lunch?

So I've been following the zone for about 3 months. While it's been working well and I've been shaping up and such, I'm finding it difficult to keep the lunches and midday snacks much more interesting than the same three salads from Panera (which are actually close to zoned) and Builder's Bars (not quite low glycemic apparently, but it's all I've got the time for).

I'd like to get more into meal planning, but I'm afraid I'm not sure where to start when it comes to taking three four-block meals to work with me. All I can usually think of is packing some cottage cheese, fruit, and nuts, but I'd rather not do that for three meals/day.

Does anyone have suggestions for meals to pack to take to work with me, given that I should be taking that much to work with me? Thanks.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:42 PM   #2
Travis Hall

Profile:

Re: What to pack for lunch?

Canned fish for protein is easy. I have a can of salmon everyday.

As for carbs, I'm not very zone. Normally a bag of broccoli and a peanut butter sandwich on russian bread concluded with an apple and some more nuts. Others will probabaly be able to help more...

I eat the same things everyday except for when my girlfriend cooks!
I assume many here do the same.

t.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:11 PM   #3
Daniel Freedman

Profile:

A little pre-planning goes a long way.

Cook up a bunch of boneless chicken breasts or thighs on the Foreman Grill, seasoned with crushed red pepper. Store in the fridge in tupperware containers or ziplock bags. (Cooked chicken keeps for 3 days or so before going rubbery.) Eat with salad and seeds, and bring along some olive oil in a separate container. Or maybe replace the salad with pre-cooked asparagus or cauliflower and cold olives. Store the items that need to be kept cold in the fridge at work or school -- or in insulated container with an ice pack if no fridge is available. At lunch time, eat everything cold. Or nuke the chicken and/or veggies if you have a microwave available. Best plan for veggies if you have a mirowave: don't pre-cook....just use one of those microwave steaming bags.

Also:
It's almost as easy to make 3 portions of stir fry, chili, or roast chicken as it is to make one. So make some extra portions! Stir frys and roast chicken keep for three days in the fridge. Frozen chili keeps for at least 10 days.

Another idea:
Cut up a lamb sausage. Take to work in a tupperware container that also contains chick peas. Nuke together. Eat with a raw cucumber and/or tomato. Dessert can be olives or nuts.

Last edited by Daniel Freedman; 11-25-2007 at 09:18 PM..
Old 11-26-2007, 07:01 AM   #4
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

Daniel, personally I dont nuke anything (at least when I am in control in my kitchen). But I also love to cook (but if anyone wants to come clean for me--invite is open).

I often buy veggies--cauliflower, zucchini, onion, asparagus, s/t butternut squash and put them in a pan with olive oil spray, some water, and garlic salt, cover and bake on 400 for an hour. They stay a few days in fridge and can be eaten cold or reheated. Add to eggs in am or salads.

Beginning of week boil up a few eggs and you have instant snacks/meals. Canned fish is a great option and/or the chicken breasts. Yesterday when my veggies were roasted, I put a pan of boneless chicken breasts with some mustard, spices and lemon juice in a second pan and baked them for 1/2 hr. Ate one for lunch, had some for snack in evening and will have today or tomorrow at some point.

I also eat smoked salmon or smoked wild cod about 2x week! easy, comes prepackaged and transports well too!

If you want/need ideas you can always PM me as well. Check out the thread for 10# challenge and also George's recipe thread--many great ideas from ppl who have been working on these thoughts for a while! Best of luck to ya!!