CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 07-26-2005, 12:00 PM   #1
Jim Aldridge

Profile:
getting people to stick with crossfit once they have tried it? I can get friends to try a WOD with me, but normally it is a one or two time thing. I don't go all "drill sergeant" on them, and I even tell people to take it easy their first few workouts, but most folks just don't seem to want to continue doing the WOD's with me.

I think part of the problem is that most of the people I have gotten to try this are fellow firefighters who admittedly are a little "testosterone/competition driven" and they think that the WOD's look fairly manageable "on paper." Once they do one, however, I think that reality comes crushing down upon them and they aren't sure that they want to spend three out of every four days flirting with pukie.

Any suggestions on how to "gently" introduce somebody to crossfit?
Old 07-26-2005, 12:22 PM   #2
William Hunter

Profile:
Jim, I feel your pain. I've had little success myself in creating converts. I describe some of the WO's and am usually met with, "UGH, that sounds awful! Who works out like that?!"

Crossfit to exercise is like a colonic irrigation, there's nothing "gentle" about it (so I'm told :-)). Beginner modifications have been discussed to death, and, having started CF with heavy mods myself, I still found the WOD to be the toughest, most brutal WO's I'd ever done. I think there's a "healthy sickness" in this community, that we enjoy torturing ourselves physically and mentally. I couln't go back to my old style of working out, knowing in the back of my mind that there were CF'ers out there working 1000% harder than me. Not everyone sees it that way. A lot of people put their time in at the gym and are satisfied with "healthy enough" to fit into that dress, pair of jeans etc.

As for practical advice, I don't think I have any. Once exposed to a CF WOD you either get it or you don't. Keep spreading the word and you'll pick up converts eventually.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:27 PM   #3
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
can't help you there Jim. Tried to get hubby doing the WODs, and he did for a while, but I can't get him to stop doing those damn bicep curls!
Old 07-26-2005, 12:41 PM   #4
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
I haven't found a way, though I've tried it on several people. Coach said in the first CrossFit Live that people will either stick to it or they won't, and even called it a character flaw to do the latter. I don't think the world is quite so black and white, and Crossfit is definitely not for everyone. Not everyone needs elite fitness to survive, and people have other priorities and limited time.
I have been thinking a lot about the type of person it takes to stick to Crossfit. The program is definitely selective by nature. I imagine that it's easier to do in a supportive environment like a Crossfit facility, instead of fighting gym management and alienating yourself from other gym patrons.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:55 PM   #5
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
Veronica - At least get him to do heavy, single-rep barbell curls with a thick bar. ;D

-Kevin
Old 07-26-2005, 01:05 PM   #6
Ron Nelson

Profile:
I've tried it on my kids and my wife. At least the kids will stick with the freeweights when they go to the gym and get off the machines. As for the wife? She is mortified just watching me do a WOD.
Like she was last night. She tells me I sweat too much. I told her that's the way I like it.
Keeps the gym apes at bay.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:12 PM   #7
Scott Kustes

Profile:
I have a friend that acts as though I have a disease due to my CrossFitting. Based on my knowledge of who he is, I can give three things that make a CrossFitter:
1. Don't care what others think. We aren't afraid to be the weirdos in the gym with people staring. In fact, most of us enjoy it.
2. Can move beyond the machismo of talking about a big bench press. Certain people like to prove their prowess in the gym, others in the real world. We are in the latter group. The former is happy to say "I bench press 350lbs, but can't do a single pullup".
3. Willing to find their weaknesses. Some people have fragile egos, as Jim said, and don't want to be broken by a workout. The fact of 11 year olds ripping out 40 pullups and women pulling off muscle-ups is so deflating to their psyche that they stick to areas that they are good at...bench press, curls, tricep extensions.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:26 PM   #8
Jonathan Kessler

Profile:
Scott,
Your last post has some good points.
I've actually been pretty successful getting people doing the WOD. Well, I guess that depends - I've got 2 guys at the gym at work doing the WOD full on for several months, and a few others trying things out. Maybe that's success.
One key thing is that folks can see that it works - us folks doing it are getting fitter and stronger, and are having fun. We are definitely generating a lot of interest.
That said, there are definitely people who are afraid of their weaknesses, and want to only work on improving their strengths. Those folks tend to hit the exits running.
There are also folks who are afraid of intensity. Those are the "uh, no thanks, I've SEEN how you work out" people.
But I'm finding that there are also people who genuinely want to challenge themselves and improve their skills and fitness broadly. And those people see what we're doing, and at the very least, have questions. And some of them are continuing to join us.
I'd wager I'll have Crossfit Cisco up to 5 people by end of August. Which is not bad for a corporate gym. And it's not me - it's the program.

JK
Old 07-26-2005, 02:46 PM   #9
Troy Archie

Profile:
I think educating yourself has something to do with it also. I periodically go back to some of the old forums that I used to post at and see the same people posting the same crap they did 4 years ago.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:48 PM   #10
Tony Young

Profile:
To a certain extent, it's marketing. My longest lasting clients are the ones I've talked to about Crossfit specifics the least. I helped them focus on a fitness goal and told them how they can achieve it and that's enough. On the other hand, I scared off an entire fire department before the first workout by being too excited and overloading them with information. And then there's the guy I used to work with that came right out and said he was only interested in "the look", not fitness at all.

It takes all kinds.