CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-11-2006, 09:25 PM   #1
Charles Applin

Profile:
Four years ago I reached what was for me excellent physical conditioning. I combined 5 hours of running with 1 hour of weight lifting every week (yes, the running part seems silly now, but I was unaware of CrossFit instead going off tri-athelete's advice). What really helped in all that was the heart rate meter as it allowed what I never actually did before, pace my running. Never running more than 3 miles to running 8+ miles at a good clip seemed proof to me.

I tailored the heart rate on the idea of a range between your minimum and maximum. Longer runs meant you paced at lower heart rates to last the whole event. I pushed too hard without it, like I'm sure others did.

Anyway, what I might start doing is posting my heart rate average with my WOD posts for those work-outs intended to last 20 to 30 minutes. I "assume" that such work-outs tax the endurance portion of the 10 areas of fitness (as well as any other areas based on the work-out). In addition, a couple have posted in the WOD comments that when they paced themselves early they did better overall than before when they went balls out from the beginning.

That said, I don't want to re-invent the wheel. What input do others have on a heart rate meter, and how they use it in the WOD?
Old 10-11-2006, 11:42 PM   #2
paul arestan

Profile:

I train with a heart rate monitor all the time, except when I do strength work.
I find it easier to pace myself in relation to distance to cover or duration of the workout.
It also gives me an idea of how well I am.
For example, if I work hard but my heart rate stays low, I take it as an early sign of overtraining and rest more.

Also, I only record times when my heart rate is above 140 bpm. I don't consider a reading under 140 as training, especially when I run, box or rope jump.
That said, it doesn't apply to all the wods, since the effort may be intense but the heart rate low, like during the sit ups or the back extensions of the wod of the 061010.
I always keep record of my average heart rate as well as the time to complete a wod. As time goes, for the same wod, the average heart rate increases and the time decreases, when everything goes well.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:02 AM   #3
Sam Lepore

Profile:
I love my heart rate monitor. Polar makes the best. I have the F-11.

Paul makes some good points. Great to keep track of many things. Maximal Oxygen Uptake. Calories burned, Heart Rate (max and min) etc, etc. They get much more advanced but really not needed.

Goes for about 150 bucks.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:21 AM   #4
Thomas Grippo

Profile:
For someone new to Crossfit it's probably a useful tool, providing more more accurate feedback for HR response(work/rest)especially for the high intensity workouts.
At 100% VO2max you're @ 100% APMHR, and one of Crossfit's goal is is to optimize physical capacity by training @ unsustainable intensities. That being said, the HR monitor is probably most useful to the "slackers" and to those that need a little more rest.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:31 AM   #5
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
The traditional CF response to HR monitors: Heart ate monitor, shmart rate monitor. HR is correlated to VO2, it gives an estimate of VO2, it is not the same as VO2. I don't have time to look at a monitor, I'm working too hard! I think if CF said go at 82.5% of HR max it may have some use. CF says FOR TIME...all out effort! You know when your slacking and when your working...most CF workouts, I could feel my heart rate, in my skull, my wife could hear my heart rate upstairs!
Old 10-12-2006, 07:55 AM   #6
Thomas Grippo

Profile:
Sorry,I meant to say "roughly",(+/-10-15 beats)in terms of the correlation. You can also set most HR monitors to "beep" so you wouldn't have to look.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:48 AM   #7
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Ditch the monitor, except if your curious during longer runs or row. I still don't see any use for one during high intensity multifaceted workouts.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:57 AM   #8
Scott Kustes

Profile:
I agree with Larry...no heart rate monitor here! That's one more thing I don't need trying to get into my head while huffing away at a CF workout. I don't want to look down and see 220 on a heart monitor and go "wow! I really must be as tired as I think I am."
Old 10-12-2006, 11:06 AM   #9
Craig Cooper

Profile:
I only use heart rate monitors with clients who are obviously slacking off to prove it to them. Other than that, like others have said, you're trying to do the workouts as fast as you can, which means maximal intensity, no need for a monitor.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:19 AM   #10
Skip Chase

Profile:
Total agreement with Larry.....add it to your collection of physio balls, hip vibrators and battery operated ab devices.
www.mtbakercrossfit.blogspot.com