CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-10-2006, 06:20 PM   #1
Jon Murphy

Profile:
ta guys

jon
Old 10-11-2006, 02:37 AM   #2
Chris Forbis

Profile:
If you're talking a true vertical leap (i.e. no running start or step up) I doubt you will find anyone here with a 36 inch vertical. A true 3 foot vertical is reserved for a select few freak athletes
Old 10-11-2006, 10:26 AM   #3
Neal Winkler

Profile:
Besides, CrossFit's programing isn't based around developing maximal power for single-effort activities.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:36 AM   #4

Profile:

ncaa D1 male basketball players are looking at around 28" verticals according to the nsca, so 36" is probably a little excessive...
Old 10-11-2006, 01:53 PM   #5
Martin Schap

Profile:
However, since starting Xfit I'v seen my vertical go from about 20" to about 24"
Old 10-11-2006, 04:25 PM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
My friend in HS at 5'7 110 was able to dunk. That works out to be a near 3 foot vertical. He was a Gold shirt National Fitness for what that means but mainly a bballer and breaker.
Two of us in the adult class are around or over 2 feet and I'm sure a few of Rog's guys are at 30 inches.
Just a foot and a half to go and I can dunk, seeing as I can swish the net currently.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:59 PM   #7
Daniel Schmieding

Profile:
I'm 5'7" and I had 30" vertical in High School. I sprinted in track and field, along with doing a lot of tumbling at gymnastics. It's gone way down since, but I was high.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:38 PM   #8
Michael J. Joyce

Profile:
If the Lord intended us all to have a 36" vert., He wouldn't have created the "set shot.":g:
Old 10-12-2006, 10:18 PM   #9
Jordan Dotson

Profile:
If you want to concentrate on it a little more, mix in some of what plyometrics author/expert Donald Chu calls "Complex Training"--supersetting correlating weight & plyo exercises with minimal necessary rest time between moving from the weight to the plyo box. Examples would include Squats/Depth jumps or Deadlifts/Squat jumps.
There's a litany of books on this type of training, & it works. In highschool, it helped me increase my standing vertical from 18" to 28" in between successive basketball seasons...less than a year's time...& up to 33" over the next off-season, though it was the entire focus of my workout plan.
From an overall fitness standpoint, I think mixing in a mesocycle of these methods 1-2 times a year would be highly compatible with Crossfit, as the benefits gained in as little as 2-3 months would certainly be maintained later through many standard WOD exercises.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:01 PM   #10
Lonnie Richardson

Profile:
I had a 30" vertical standing jump in high school too. Never really trained for it except for a few plyo's in track. Only ran a 4.80sec 40yd dash. I can still(at 37 and 5'10") grab the rim but can't slam it. The other day I jumped up onto a 42" porch with ease from standing. I'd like to get mine to a 36" vert. so I can slam it. Been reading a few things on the net and orded a cd from e-bay. T-nation has an article on "dirty tricks" to a higher vertical that are suppose to increase it Immediately. Wish I would have known that stuff in high school. I was the 2nd Highest jumper all the way through. (32" was max by a 5.45sec guy) It was also an all white school so not many jumpers there......LOL.
Pro