CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-15-2006, 01:37 AM   #1
Jamila Bey

Profile:
As a dedicated lifting fanatic, I don't believe in running unless something is chasing me. However... I wasn't being followed, but I was being timed. 12.8 secs is what I got.

Good, bad, ugly?

Old 10-15-2006, 02:09 AM   #2
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Sounds pretty good for most of the folk around here. I think the girls in HS were scoring between 11 and 12 way back when. I, myself was anywhere from under 12 to 13, and was in the middle to last coming in.

The 100 is a lot about a good start. That can make a big difference in time. Now a 200 is a bit about the start; but the 3 and 400 you're not gonna see a big loss from a bad start like the 50 or 100.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:14 AM   #3
David Aguasca

Profile:
hah, the 50 is ALL start. by the time you finish accelerating, you've run it.

learning how to down start properly (if you don't know how to already) is a good way to improve your time, if you don't know how to already. plus, it's good for explosive power, and is really fun, IMO.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:09 AM   #4
Brian Degenaro

Profile:
12.8 for women is good. If I'm not mistaken at the NYS High School record is 11.4 for girls. Last Outdoor season I think the girls who medaled for the CHSAA were running between 11.8 and 12.2.

All the sprints require a good start. The 400m you can make up for in though because it's an entire lap, but still a bad start can knock about .6-1 sec off your time. My profile picture is an OK start. I could be a little more in line and my left arm could be closer to my body more. I"ll try and snap a short vid of my better [perfect] start.

(Message edited by brian_d on October 15, 2006)
Old 10-15-2006, 09:03 AM   #5
Jamila Bey

Profile:
Cool...

Seems this CrossFit stuff works! And here I was all depressed about turning 30.

I know NOTHING about starting or leaning or whatnot... I just ran. And that was after I did my real workout. I'm trying that again when I'm fresh!

CF- great for bragging rights!
Old 10-15-2006, 03:45 PM   #6
Brian Degenaro

Profile:
Setting yourself up for a crouched start is not that difficult. First, get someone to push you from behind when you least expect it (the same way you figure out your dominant leg for the clean and jerk). Once you figure out your dominant leg go up to the starting line with your feet shoulder width apart and your toes just in front of the line.Now take your dominant foot and put it one footlength back. Now that you're staggered take your front foot and place it two footlengths back. You should end up with your feet shoulder width apart and your dominant leg forward. Lastly, squat down and make sure you feel comfortable in this position, make some minor adjustments and take note of the position.

Next we go onto the set part. Place your fingers behind the starting line about shoulder width or more apart, and lean your shoulders past your hands. Also remember to keep your torso and head in line. If you've done everything correctly, you should be in this positon: http://www.advantageathletics.com/tm...02/start01.JPG

Now when the person calls set, raise your hips up (HIPS!!!). Have your partner check to see that your waist is level or slightly above your shoulders. Your weight should all be resting on your fingers. According to my coach: a)There should be an angle of 90 degrees at the front knee
b)There should be an angle of 120 degrees on the rear knee.

The drive phase is the hardest part to get down properly. Once you react to the gun your arms should be pumping up and down and your dominant leg should drive through the ground. As you pump your arms your legs should be moving just as fast. To make sure you stay in line when you drive is to make sure you are in line when you get ready on the mark and that your hips aren't too high on the set. Lastly, don't think of rising when you hear the gun or go, think of pushing yourself away from the ground with your dominant leg and driving up with your trail leg.

If someone were to take a picture at the right moment, they could draw a straight line from your head down to your flexed toe of the dominant leg and the two of you would note that you're about 45 degrees parallel with the ground.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/tomgreen3dbig.jpg

Your drive phase should continue for about 40m and then you should be completely upright. People fail at the drive phase and come up too early because they're afraid. The feeling you should get once you drive is that you're falling. Like I said, forget all about rising up, think only about pushing through the ground with your dominant and driving up with your trail leg.

Developing a good start is one of the most critical aspects to a sprinting event, no matter the distance. Those few tenths of a second saved can determine 1st place or 4th place between the 55m and the 400m. Always have someone tape your starts so you can watch, critique, and fix.

Oh and you're telling us 12.8 was for the 100yd? Hrm... you're missing about 10yds for a 100m. That's anywhere from 1s-1.5s added onto the time then. Well, then try the 100m when you're fresh and had a good warmup and see what you hit.

Old 10-15-2006, 05:04 PM   #7
James R. Climer

Profile:
Nice tutorial Brian!

Wish I had known all this in 1978 (HS).
My best 100-yd was a 10.24, but I was always
dead last out of the gates and usually last at the 40-yard point. The only timed 40 I ever had was 5.07 sec. I had absolutley no power out of the blocks.

Old 10-15-2006, 05:34 PM   #8
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
, 10.24. That's hoofin'. I wasn't fast enough to even think of breaking 11. OTOH, these short lil legs can accelerate fast.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:59 PM   #9
Brian Degenaro

Profile:
That's not bad at all for a 100yd back then. A good start makes a world of a difference. This past outdoor season I could run the 100m from standing in about 12.8-13s while my best individually was 12.4 and off a relay 12s. As you can see, half a second off a 100m can be taken off with a good start. After summer and some X-fitting and gymnastics I'm running between 12 and 12.4 from standing.

Old 10-15-2006, 06:01 PM   #10
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
I was lucky to finish in 14sec in high school...not fast....hence I stuck with hockey.