CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-29-2006, 05:11 PM   #1
Greg Hamilton

Profile:
my wife and i have been doing crossfit religiously for 5 1/2 weeks and we're absolutely loving it. she was already in decent shape from teaching yoga, spinning, water aerobics, running, etc; i had done very little along the lines of working out for at least a year, and no intense or explosive cardio for 7 or 8 years. although we're scaling down most every workout, they are surely as intense for us as anybody.

i made myself do the CINDY wod on wednesday despite feeling especially tired, and my wife skipped it. we both skipped MICHAEL yesterday and we both were thinking we would make it up today on the rest day. today we are both extremely tired, worn out, DRAGGING just like yesterday. the best way i can describe it is not quite being sick but feeling like you're one notch away from it. we've decided to rest again today and start up again tomorrow.

is this normal? should we expect to need an extra day of rest every couple of weeks or so? should we ignore the exhausted feeling and do the workouts in the future?
Old 09-29-2006, 05:41 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Initially you won't be able to handle the volume, even with scaled workouts. Listen to your body definitely and eventually keep on increasing the volume and using less scales until you can keep up. It can take people months or even years to be able to do the WOD without scaling and without significant fatigue from day to day. Just take your rest now and then keep on plugging taking rest when needed. Your bodies will adapt eventually. :-)
Old 09-29-2006, 09:09 PM   #3
Jeff Haas

Profile:
I know exactly how you feel. After about 6 weeks of CF I was able to do the WOD almost as RXed. I was so tired though, that i wasn't able to function through the rest of the day. As a result i ramped it down so its still difficult but not a ***** buster.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:25 PM   #4
Gorm Laursen

Profile:
I started out with CF at full scale too, getting in super shape in no time, but I had to back away eventually, because I experienced the same as you. Now, after slipping gradually into it, I'm almost 100% up to volume again with no problems.

I would scale down the number of WODs, and not so much the intensity. Start out with 2-3 per week, and try to do them in higher intensity. Do so for about one month, then take one week of, add another WOD per week, and keep repeating that cycle untill you have found your appropriate level.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:16 AM   #5
Martin Roberts

Profile:
Try programing in a recovery week every 4th week, to give your body a bit of respite. Cut down the intensity, cut the volume right back and just do the exercises without pushing yourself too much, then back to hard work the next week.
i.e. 3weeks hard work, 1 week recovery, 3 weeks hard work, 1 week recovery, 3 weeks hard work, 1 week active rest.
Old 09-30-2006, 04:41 AM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Yep, I should have this some where so I could cut and paste! I've been doing this for three years with some success:

Week 1: WOD full intensity
Week 2: WOD full intensity
Week 3: WOD full intensity
Week 4: WOD half volume (cut reps or time or weight, whatever makes the most sense)
Week 5: WOD full intensity start cycle over again.
until...
Week 12: One week off active rest: swim, bike, get a massage, relax.
Week 13: Start again at week 1.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:32 AM   #7
Frank M Needham

Profile:
Examine your diet also. In addition to all the above mentioned factors, I found it to be a critical one high on the list of priorities in considering where my fatigue was coming from. Sure, it is hard for many to do the WOD (most of the time I can't), but if the diet isn't there you will get smoked every time.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:59 AM   #8
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Eat enough to recover....that's most likely your issue...competitive athletes take in 6000...7000...to keep up with their training..while you don't need that much...your cal intake may be way too low. If you are dragging and feeling sick chances are it's your immune system dropping because the body's rate of damage is greater than it's rate of repair...so Eat healthy and Eat more...see what happens.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:45 AM   #9
Greg Hamilton

Profile:
:bowdown: great info here guys, and thanks.

i thought i had seen reference to your suggestions in the forums but couldn't find it through various forum searches when it seemed apparent that we might need some additional rest. based on your suggestions, we're going to go 50% for the next 3 wods since we had a rest day yesterday and skipped the thursday wod, then hit it hard again on wednesday and after tuesday's rest.

frank and mike, i'm sure we could use some tips on the nutrition side and i'm going to post at nutrition for that, but i really think we simply needed some rest and to drop our workouts to 50% for a few days. please find my thread when i post it in nutrition as i would appreciate your input.

(Message edited by hammy on September 30, 2006)
Old 09-30-2006, 01:41 PM   #10
George Brothers

Profile:
there is a crossfit journal that has an article on recovery that is a worthwhile read. one thing i did not see mentioned is sleep. i see a big difference with 8 hours or more vs 6 or less. if you cant do that then try to score a nap instead. these workouts can be a real shock to the immune system requiring much more in terms of recovery. you may also want to experiment with an alternative regimen such as mwf or 2 on, one off rotation.