CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-04-2006, 02:44 PM   #1
Frank Menendez

Profile:
I've been following the CF warm-up for a while, until the excessive amounts of pull-ups began hurting my elbow and shoulder. At that point I switched to neutral grip pull-ups and haven't had any more problems! I have noticed however, that the warm-up takes away from my performance on the WODs (especially when they involve pull-ups or dips), so those days I remove them from my warm-up accordingly.

1. Is there anyone here who follows the CF warm-ups strickly? if not, what modifications do you do?

2. Also, I began adding some static stretches before my WOD, but i'm not sure if it might be more benefical to focus on them after. Comments?

(Message edited by frankm007 on September 04, 2006)
Old 09-04-2006, 03:49 PM   #2
Jesse Woody

Profile:
Some days, being that I have a pretty physical job, I don't need much of a warm-up at all. I will do a couple of sets of the Burgener warm-up and be good to go. Some days I will need more, and I do the CFWU as Rx'd, perhaps with even more various movement thrown in. On days where we have lots of push-ups, pull-ups, etc. that you can find in the warm-up, I cut them out of the regular warm-up and perform something similar, such as ring-body-rows for pull-ups, or push-ups with my torso elevated for dips.

If you read the journal issue dedicated to the inclusion of the warm-up, it mentions the fact that you should scale and sub as needed to avoid cutting into your actual workout performance. If I was goind for max-effort on pull-ups, I wouldn't do 30 pull-ups in my warm-up...that would be silly :p

As for the static stretching, it would be much more beneficial to save them for afterwards, as static stretching before physical activity can actually decrease performance and leave you MORE succeptible to injury. For some great info on this and more stretching ideas, check out the Performance Menu issue #15 & #16
Old 09-04-2006, 03:54 PM   #3
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Keep to dynamic movements and getting the HR elevated slightly for increased blood flow. But depending on your level, pick your exercises wisely so not to take away from the performance during the WOD. For example, if your max pullups are 2-3, then doing pullups will not be a good choice for a warm up, maybe instead some band pulls, assisted pullups, etc. Also look at the workout ahead of time, I would not do warmups with pullups if they are in the workout themself. I would not suggest any "static" stretching as research has shown it can decrease performance (save it for the post workout cooldown). Do movements that encourage a full range of motion like the sampson stretch, scorpions, hip rotations, high kicks, butt kicks, skips, OHS with stick, rotating stick back behind, etc. If you search the board should be some good info already out there. You will eventually come down with a system that works for you, improves your ROM and decreases injury from inflexibility.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:56 PM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
, Jesse beat me to the static stretching and decreased performance comment...if I didnt spend so much time reviewing my post. Touche!
Old 09-04-2006, 05:04 PM   #5
Chris Sinagoga

Profile:
in addition to what has already been said, i like to include things that i would like to improve on. my warmup now includes: 15x OVERHAND grip pullups, 5x handstand pushups(did 10 sec. handstand hold till i could do a hspu), 15x dips, 15x OHS with broomstick, 15x situps, then 15 sec samson stretch.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:27 PM   #6
Dave Campbell

Profile:
I almost ashamed to say that my warm-up is a 3 minute row. Other than an occasional Samson stretch (only when deadlifting) that's it for me. I'm 42 and I've never really been injured, so it works for me.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:55 AM   #7
Yael Grauer

Profile:
I do the CFWU with some variations, and I also add some IT band stretches beforehand active isolated stretching style Ihold for a second or two before the myotatic reflex kicks in, ten times per side). That weird clicking in my knees stopped once I started to do this.

I'll also warm up before doing lifts, just do the lift with a 5 lb body bar first.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:19 AM   #8
Elliot Royce

Profile:
I'd kinda been skipping the warmup and moving on to the "main course" but it seems to me that the WU may serve to train a base level of fitness. If you're saying that your WOD suffers because you do the WU, then you're saying that you haven't yet developed the base level of fitness to do both. That's true of me.

At Keith Wittenstein's encouragement, I've been doing the WU consistently and trying to reduce the amount of time it requires. I started at 20m, then got down to 18m30 and today got down to 16m40. I would imagine an elite CFitter could do it in 12 min or something. At that point, it's certainly not cutting into the WOD time and imagine how fit you'll be.

Just my 2cents.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:10 PM   #9
Gorm Laursen

Profile:
I've noticed either increased performance or decreased performance from the CFWU. The problem is I don't know when to expect what. So normally I do one round easily, and feel the feel in my body. If it says Go I go for the next two rounds with increased pace, if it says Stop I stop and move on to the real workout. And by the way, it's the same with any kind of warmup, not just the CFWU.

The main reason I do the CFWU is that I plain think it's god damned cool to do a warmup that's as straining as 90% of the other gym-goers entire workout!
Old 09-05-2006, 12:41 PM   #10
John Velandra

Profile:
Check out Tony's article on the latest CFJ... awesome reason and protocol.