CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-15-2006, 08:17 AM   #1
Katie Stapp

Profile:  
I have been doing crossfit for almost a month now. I haven't really seen any results in terms of physique, weight, or measurements. I have been eating about 90% clean (except for some birthday treats this past weekend...). Am I just being too impatient or is this a sign that I need to supplement the WOD's with more exercise? WOD's are mostly all I have been doing. I am discouraged because I have read the great results that everyone else has and was really hoping to use crossfit to get out of the rut I was in with my cardio/weights routine I had been doing the past 4 years. I don't want to go back to that and I really like the way this makes me feel I just don't want to be losing ground, strength, or fitness. Also, my blood pressure has been noticeably higher since I started this than it was when I was running/stair mastering/biking steady state every day. Any explanation? Thanks.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:56 AM   #2
Dave Rounsevelle

Profile:

You say you really like the way you feel, so should'nt that be important??. Crossfit isn't-in my opinion-really about looking better or losing weight, its about being ready for about anything and GPP. A month is a short time, but have you gone back and checked how you have improved performance wise??
I would say if you are lean, then you won't show that big of a difference in appearance, but will improve in performance. Give it some more time and try a few tests to see if you have improved your performance. I would bet that you have improved in performance.
Keep at it.
Dave
Old 05-15-2006, 03:05 PM   #3
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
This doesn't look like a testimonial! Moving to Fitness.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:02 PM   #4
Rene Renteria

Profile:
What is your intensity level like for most of the your WODs?

It's OK and even good to be casual about it as you learn the movements and get used to the work. Depending on what you were doing before, this "break-in" or "ramping up" period can take a long time. A month isn't that long, IMO. Be strict about form now so that good form is a habit and "to be expected", your default, for all your workouts or movements/exercises.

How do you feel after Helen, for example? Fran? Is there room for upping the intensity, or do you feel like you're going all-out much of the time?

Best,
Rene'
Old 05-15-2006, 04:13 PM   #5
George Brothers

Profile:
hi katie
what is eating clean? try writing down everything you eat for a week and review to see if what you think you are eating is actually what you are eating. take a look at the nutrition forum also, there is good advice there.
how old are you? a month for a 21 y/o can show a lot of results. a month for a 39 y/o is another story.
do you keep a log of wods? are you working as hard as you think on them? are your loads and times adequate to get something out of the wod?
if you feel better than when you were doing your old workouts isn't that some form of improvement?
what exactly is your blood pressure? when are you taking it and how? did you eat, smoke or drink caffeine before it was taken?
are you working with a crossfit trainer? are you on your own? working with a trainer may help you get some gains.
are you recovering properly? that means a minimum of 3 on 1 off. plus good sleep. are you still working out everyday? do you get 8 hours of sleep a night?
honestly, i think a month is too short unless you are young, train with a coach/trainer and have perfect nutrition and recovery. so work hard and give it some time.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:16 PM   #6
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Katie,
How well are you able to do the WOD? If you are really having to scale back it might take a little while to see significant results. Are you doing the Crossfit warmup?

The "official" CrossFit Warm-up is in the April 2003 CrossFit Journal.

3 rounds of 10-15 reps of
Samson Stretch (do the Samson Stretch once each round for 15-30 seconds)
Overhead Squat with broomstick
Sit-up
Back-extension
Pull-up
Dip

If you are not able to perform the warmup as written and a reasonable approximation of the WOD I would say be patient until you can complete the warm-up and WOD, once you are there for a couple of months I will bet you see some improvement.

I have no clue why your BP is "noticable higher" maybe it could be affected by big changes in workout volume and or intensity?

As far as losing ground on your "fitness" crossfit is not magic and it is not for everyone, but I have a hard time believing anyone who followed it and worked out hard would lose "fitness" ground.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:01 PM   #7
Dan Strametz

Profile:
Be patient. Everyone is always looking for the quick fix. Simply Crossfit works! Be consistant and be intense. Track your performance, by rounds, by time or by weight used in the work-outs. You will see the progress. Hang in there.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:57 PM   #8
Baron Dorff

Profile:
I'd concur with the earlier comments. My experience was that it took a good 4 - 5 weeks to get familiar with the movments, at which time I started doing the WOD for real.
Felt like utter, hammered CRAP for the first 4 weeks of doing the WOD. Somewhere around week 6 I noticed a difference, as my body adapted to the ne abuse I was heaping on it.
By week 8 of the WOD I started seeing significant performance increases, which continued for the next 5- 6 months. I've just now started seeing a slowing down of improvement, which a atttribute to approaching my theoretical best performance. I assume improvement will naturally slow down at some point for everyone, as they get to their body and / mind's peak performance level.

Give it a few more weeks of truly applying yourself. I'll bet you start seeing improvements very soon. The Crossfit workouts seem to reward with as much as you put into it. If you're taking it easy, results will come more slowly. If you're rockin' the gym with every outing, it should come along faster. The nice thing is that the workout scales to allow both levels of intensity.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:48 PM   #9
Mark Brinton

Profile:
I'll chip in my own two cents. As a Body-for-life alumni, I was in a big rut and losing motivation. Read the NYC article around Christmas 2005 and was intrigued. At 5'8", I went from 180 lbs (passably lean) to 170 lbs (lean). In some ways, I think I was more "muscular" in the BB classic sense. My biceps have shrunk and, in terms of strictly isolated movement, I've probably lost a bit of "hypertropic" strength (strength in the range of 8-12 reps). I ran alot but had alot of knee/foot/heel issues.

But, where was I, really? My first WODs completely disabused me of thinking I was in anything but passably fit and nowhere near elite levels. More importantly, there was no progression possible to elite levels if I stuck with the BB routines. The reason for this is that so much of the progression entails recruiting, in full functional motion, the posterior chain and the core. Despite appearances, despite aerobic fitness, I was a weakling when it came to exercises that required a functional posterior chain. Its funny; you look at the Fran WOD and you think to yourself "That doesn't look so hard". Ha! The first time you try it is one of the most humbling of experiences esp. when you compare a time of 20:00 to what other people are posting. For me, I'm quite sure I made the right choice.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:02 PM   #10
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Jamila may chime in on this one. I put her on some oral iodine tablets and her bodyfat progress (according to her) accelerated at a rapid pace. Look up that thread and check out the research at www.optimox.com .

There are significant reasons as to why CrossFit and diet will not *always* work, no matter how hard one works at both. My wife is a perfect example of someone who has had extreme difficulty in acheiving her goals--I'm training her and I help her watch her diet! Frustrating to say the least.

Note that the iodine is a medical protocol that I utilize, anyone going out and doing this on their own is taking a self-chosen risk.