CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-15-2006, 10:12 PM   #1
Mike Berryhill

Profile:  
Hello everyone, im new here and figured i would check in. I think im going to cancel my gym membership and give crossfit a try. Im not impressed with the equipment at gyms and i can do just as good (if not waaay better) with what i got and the WOD. Ive been reading around here for several weeks and have the following items:

Sambas to run in
35lb kettlebell
swiss ball
25lb medicine ball
jump rope
ab wheel (evil damn thing)
mountain bike

I will make some dip bars out of pvc tomorrow. I am looking for a good doorway pullup bar that does not need to be drilled. Any suggestions there. I will also make some rings in the future.Anything you see that im missing? I have some olympic weights but cant store them here. So i am limited on that. But my appartment gym has lots of dumbells. I think they go to 70 or 90#.

I got the Zone diet book and will work on getting that down soon.

So i will go do some more reading and will be asking some questions in the future if i dont find the answers on the search feature or in faq.

This is going to kick my *** but i need that! lol. I am not in good shape but im determined to get there. See you aound.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:35 PM   #2
Dan Strametz

Profile:
Ask questions, lots. There is some very knowledgeable people here. You have a fair amount of the right stuff to start. Remember to scale the WOD at first. Build up slowly. Then hit it hard and often.

Welcome to Crossfit Mike
Old 05-17-2006, 07:47 AM   #3
Peter Queen

Profile:
Welcome Mike. It sounds like you are off to a good start. Like Dan said, keep asking questions. We will help you throughout your training. I still ask questions because everyday you still learn something new.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:57 AM   #4
Mike Berryhill

Profile:  
I need some input. I am having a hard time sticking to the WOD. Mostly because im so out of shape and my schedule. So my plan for the next 30 days, my "wod" is to do pushups, situps, pullups(cant even do 2-3 im embarassed to say), sprinting, and some kettlebell work daily, rest on the wod rest days. I just need to get into better shape and get diet dialed in before attempting the WOD it seems. Does this make sense? I have all the equipement i have posted above. Any other ideas????
Old 05-29-2006, 08:30 AM   #5
Jim Dunn

Profile:  
Mike...
I'd like to say I've been doing crossfit for the last couple of months but the truth is that, while I have been inspired by crossfit, I'm still having trouble completing a wod as prescribed. But I'm working on it. Pull ups will come with time like everything else. I'm feeling better than I have in years and this week will try the wod as prescribed. The only advice I can give is to keep doing what you are doing. Lots of pushups and pullups, dips, etc...Don't try to rush it. That is what I usually do and inevitably get an injury.Take the time to get up to where you need to be. Do you feel good? do you feel improvement? That's what it's all about isn't it?
Good luck!
Jim
Old 05-29-2006, 07:34 PM   #6
Parker Gates

Profile:
Hey Mike, I was taught to scale down all my WOD's when I first started with CrossFit. When I found this I could barely do any of the WOD's as rx'd. Usually I just dial the loads down to a weight that I can handle but still really blow me out. As time goes by I am able to add more weight and my times get faster everyday.
I would say follow the WOD but just a scaled down version! It works if you work it!
Old 05-29-2006, 08:09 PM   #7
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Mike,
Here is a link to our Crossfit forum. We take the WOD as posted and scale it for at least two levels often three. Many beginners find it useful. They use it for awhile, and then are off and running with the WOD as posted. We've been scaling for our clients for a couple years now and posting them daily for the last six months.
http://forum.brandxmartialarts.com/viewforum.php?f=16
Old 05-29-2006, 09:17 PM   #8
Jeff Haas

Profile:
Jeff, I've tried to check on your scaled down WOD, I can accass your web site but once I get there can't access the wod.What am I doing wrong?
Old 05-30-2006, 05:32 AM   #9
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Jeff,
When you click the link above you should get a page with dates. Click on the day you want to see and you should get a post with the WOD of the Crossfit main page and then a post with our scaled workout.
If you continue to have trouble drop me an email at
Jeff@brandxmartialarts.com
Old 05-30-2006, 05:56 AM   #10
Peter Queen

Profile:
Oh yeah I forgot, You could look into this style of doorway bar Mike. I have one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Doorway-Pull-Up-Chin-Up-Bar-Broad-Reach-Bar-Included_W0QQite mZ7245562333QQcategoryZ44081QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here is another version of the same basic design.
http://www.pullupbar.com/