CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-12-2006, 12:32 PM   #11
Damon Stewart

Profile:
HR monitors can be good to monitor overtraining (aka underrecovering) if you take your pulse rate each morning, other than that I don't have a use for mine, it's a remnant from my triathlon days.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:03 PM   #12
Jeff Haas

Profile:
Totally disagree. although there are some good points made.I use mine dilegently and download the data to my harddrive. i can check back years and before I go mountain climbing can see how many workouts, how many hours etc I put in, and compare to what I had done. Maybe for the x Fit monsters its not necessary but for me its worthwhile
Old 10-12-2006, 05:47 PM   #13
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Now I am curios, maybe I will buy one do a wod and return it.

(Message edited by kmckay on October 12, 2006)
Old 10-12-2006, 06:06 PM   #14
Jake Thompson

Profile:
I have wanted to get a f-11 so I had a better set of stats other than time, max hr and ave hr etc. Also some recovery stuff as stated above. Wondering those that do use one, what kind of HR are you logging?
Old 10-12-2006, 06:36 PM   #15
Andrew Cattermole

Profile:
Like all Tools its how you use it,BF% and HRM are reference point items that should be used in comparsion to data that is collected in future WOs/Events.
That said there is no point in looking down and seeing what your HR is during a WO,plus you should be concentrating on the WO anyway.As most of use know we don't realy care if we are in the "Fat Burning Range" or the "Near Fatal Range" so montoring while exercising is pointless.

However Downloadable information such as graphs are a great way to compare WOs and keep track of progress for your own metal sanity if one so desires.
Those that think by wearing one and constanctly refering to what there HR is then and there have sort of missed to point.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:03 PM   #16
Charles Applin

Profile:
I agree that most WOD I'm seeing at CrossFit you'll not be using the HRM to "pace" yourself. Your muscles will give out long before you've taxed your endurance to the limit. Like I said, I only intended it for those areas meant for the long haul.

I've only used it thus far when the WOD was a 10k run. In addition, it's useful when doing intervals (3 x 800m for example) so that you rest till your HR is at a certain level (usually 50% mark) before starting again. Although for now I've just been doing 1:1 resting which is also fine.

Granted, its nifty to wear a HRM when doing squats. It shows non-believers the cardio impact on that work-out. Doing 15 or 21 reps at a good load will tax your heart.

Don't get me wrong, I see a HRM as a tool. It's a very useful tool and essential for those that push too hard or not enough for endurance events. To use it during a tabata or fran is akin to weighing yourself in the middle of a workout ie missing the point.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:39 AM   #17
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
I use one during metcon workouts (when I remeber), but I don't use it to pace myself or stay within certain guidelines during the workout. I'm just curious about the final avg/max numbers so I can compare one metcon workout to another in terms of %HR. Nothing more, nothing less.

The other day I hit 230, but I'm not sure if it was due to interference from electronics in the gym or not. Still cool to see, though! :biggrin:
Old 10-13-2006, 02:32 PM   #18
Charles Applin

Profile:
Anthony, it's possible getting 230 was from interference. Although it never happened on my Polar, it did occur at times on my Timex HRM. Granted one doctor I read posits that limb movement aids in pumping blood so it assists the max heart rate. Never looked further into it.

I was careful to determine my max heart rate when doing 4 intervals of 400m sprints. Every so often I would recheck and results were similar.

Now an interesting aside: my max was normally 197. During a 5k run using ephedra, caffeine and aspirin stack my heart rate got upto a sustained 205 so it wasn't from interference. Made me wonder if ephedra use had an impact on my max heart rate. If true, a hrm could allow for safer use of ephedra (not that it's easy to get now).

Other aside: That 5k was 4 years ago when I was 200 lbs and could do 30 kipping pull-ups, 16 dead hangs. Today's wod I could only get upto 4 kipping before having to switch to jumping pull-ups. Amazing how far one can fall.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:19 PM   #19
Nate Marlar

Profile:
I have a Garmin 305, and it is really nifty, since it uses GPS to track your speed, pace, and all that jazz, not to mention HR. It is neat to be able to see the stats after a run or bike ride...but by no means would I consider it necessary....
Old 10-20-2006, 04:05 PM   #20
John Seaburg

Profile:
Sometimes people will get readings in the 230s on adominal exercises with some breath holding.

I use a watch for most of my workouts so I can track trends... resting, max, and recovery HR as well as time spent in certain zones. When I finish a workout I want the graph to look like what I just did. If I did a Tabata set I want the HR up near my max. If it was more of a strength and power workout with plenty of rest between sets I want to see good HR recoveries.