CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-23-2006, 10:43 AM   #1
Jeff Haas

Profile:
With Thanksgiving here, here's a question,I would like to lose about 10 lbs around the middle,I've been doing CrossFit about 10 months, pretty religously(most of the time not exactly as Rxed but pretty close)I ran 3 miles today at a steady pace and was suprised to see my heart rate close to the XFit workouts.Assuming the diet is the same which is better for weight loss(I'm at about 17% body fat)the interval programs or steady,lengthy running? Why?
Old 11-23-2006, 11:54 AM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Interval training builds more muscle than steady, lengthy running. More muscle = higher metabolism.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:55 PM   #3
Martin Schap

Profile:
Interval training will cut fat because it impacts your metabolism. Consider this example- running 8 miles at a moderate pace takes me slightly less than one hour, and during that time I have a very high perceived effort level, and my heartrate is elevated. I am burning calories during the entire run and during my cooldown period of maybe half an hour. Sounds good, right? But now consider a typical WOD in which you lift weights and run at a brisk pace. It may take you just a few minutes to complete, but it impacts your metabolism for hours. Thus, a good workout like Helen may take only 10 minutes or so, but it has the potential to keep your body burning calories like a blast furnace all day. Not only that, but as Lincoln points out, interval training builds muscle, while long distance running can actually decrease the amount of muscle you carry. I would choose sprinting and weights over long slow distance every time for weight loss.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:32 PM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
burn fat all day...not just during a workout. Intervals hands down.

Steady state breaks down muscle....and your body adapts and becomes more efficient at burning calories..so you burn less per workout...plus it adds nothing to burning fat after the workout is over.

BTW...diet is 85% of weight loss....so you best focus there first.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:22 AM   #5
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
All of the above, and slow training makes you slow. That said, dietary discipline is the key.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:21 PM   #6
Mike Griffith

Profile:
A study has been done investigating this exact question. Right now I am too lazy to look up the reference; I will later and post it for you.

In a nutshell:
Two groups of trainees
Body fat measured
Group A was put on a 20 week program consisting of longer duration workouts
Group B was put on a 15 week program consisting of interval & short intense workouts
Diet was kept consistent

Results:
Body fat measured
Group A burned more total calories than Group B
Group B burned fewer calories than Group A, but Group B’s body fat % decreased significantly more than Group A.

The after effect of higher intensity training raised metabolic levels for a longer duration post exercise cessation for Group B. There was significantly more carry over even when the trainees were at rest.

Once Group A terminated the training sessions their metabolism returned to the post workout levels and there was little residual fat burning.

We used to think that longer duration exercise at a lower intensity burned more fat because as you know fat is consumed in the presence of oxygen. Now the evidence is such that the residual post exercise burn we get after high intensity training burns more body fat.

Old 11-25-2006, 09:32 PM   #7
Jeff Haas

Profile:
I've read the studies that support this proposition(interval rather than long fairly slow "cardio"),I too believe that the body does adapt,for the last year all I've been doing is basically interval training,is it possible that the body has adapted to that and a couple of 3,4,5 mile runs a week will shock the body and result in some weight loss? That said I could do a better job on the nutrition aspect.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:07 AM   #8
Joshua Hass

Profile:
Jeff-

Are you changing your interval workouts? More specifically, are you progressively adding more intervals to your workouts, progressively doing the intervals at a higher intensity (e.g. running faster), or progressively reducing the length of your rest periods? You will see diminishing results if you're not modifying your workouts.

Can you give us an example of what your interval training looks like, how long you've been doing them in that manner, etc.?

You touched on it in your last post, and Mike O'D mentioned it as well, but I just wanted to reiterate that abs are made in the kitchen.....
Old 11-26-2006, 09:17 PM   #9
Nick Cummings

Profile:

The best way to lose weight is to eat for that goal. How is your diet?