CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-26-2006, 12:31 AM   #21
Daniel Schmieding

Profile:
If Jeff has extensive experience or evidence (which it sounds like he does) to stray from ankle weights, by all means, listen to him.

Just for the record, my entire sprinting team ran with ankle weights for 4 years and increased our speed tremendously. Never once had an injury pertaining to them, so I cannot relate to the urgency in your (digital) tone, Jeff.

And remember: 10.2, 100 *yard* dash. Much different than meter, as was said before.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:12 AM   #22
Jeff Haas

Profile:
I've never trained a sprinter myself,however I ran track in high school and college so spent a lot of time being trained. The literature I've read written by people with qualifications I trust are unanimous against the use of ankle weights. Weighted vests,running up hills and even better running down a hill with a slight incline are all good training measures. A 10.2 hundred meter time is cvlose to if not of Olympic quality. A 10.2 hundred yard time is till blazing fast.Like I said if run by a female, pick her college and you're not paying
Old 10-27-2006, 01:35 AM   #23
Jordan Dotson

Profile:
In academic plyometrics circles, they generally shriek & make cross signs when they catch someone using ankle weights. It's equivalent to training for punching power with slow, heavy weighted bench presses, instead of say, punching? Usual argument is that you're training your neuromuscular pathways to work more slowly & function differently.
Check out this website for some serious sprint training info (don't be scared by the url):
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/tomgreen.htm
Old 10-27-2006, 06:07 AM   #24
Franklin Shogie

Profile:
Jordan, thanks for the article. It's got some ideas that I would like to implement with my daughter.

I will be timing her again to double check that I didn't short her on the time.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:23 AM   #25
Daniel Schmieding

Profile:
Jordan and Jeff seem to be saying different things against the use of ankle weights. I don't think the analogy you posted is fair, Jordan. Punching and bench press are two different movements. Sprinting and sprinting with heavy shoes/ankle weights is still sprinting. A weight vest is likely just much safer.

All I know is that I had great success with ankle weights. Cheap, easy, effective.

Thanks for the link, Jordan.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:17 PM   #26
Jordan Dotson

Profile:
Well see, that's the argument I'd heard before. That sprinting & sprinting with ankle weights are two different movements, if not on macro level than at least at the neuromuscular level.
BUT...I just did a quick search & found this article on a recent Texas Tech study (sorry, I'm a Googlin' fiend): http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0001.htm
Article shows how doing plyometrics with ankle weights/weight vests drastically improves performance, but at the end warns not to do regular running workouts with the added weight.

This one also might be very good for you Franklin:
http://www.coachr.org/vests.htm
The end of the second section has info on ankle weights, saying they're okay at small weights, but any more & they change your stride frequency & well, blah blah blah....s'a good read.

So it seems those methods can be very good & very bad, depending on how you use them.

...& no problem, I'll post links all day. Nobody at my office can read English so they never know what I'm typing away at all day...haha.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:43 AM   #27
Jeff Haas

Profile:
my advise against the use of ankle weights is based on the belief that the muscles,ligaments, tendons of the lower leg are fragile and adding weight enhances the possibility of injury, like the Tech study says the use of added weight for seaoned atheletes doing plyometrics enhances performance I would not run with ankle weights, If you want to add weight get a vest, the upper torso is not rearly as fragile as an ankle or a knee,Another thing, the body is used to working a certain way, adding ankle weight changes the stride etc, this throws the body out of kilter, causing injury.As the Tech study states, the atheletes were monitored to ensure proper form.Proper form is important
Old 10-28-2006, 05:58 PM   #28
Jamila Bey

Profile:
Okay. Tried it again and I did a 100 METER run. 12.5.

And all I can tell you is that I have a good stride but no clue how to start or get low or any of that other stuff.

Not bad for a few days shy of 30-something!

And I swear to god I just got an AARP membership card in the mail. Good thing I'm not too depressed over getting old!
Old 10-31-2006, 08:40 AM   #29
Franklin Shogie

Profile:
Jamila, 12.5 for 100m is a smokin' time.

I re-tested my daughter last night. 14.5 for 100m. again no blocks no spikes. 3 watches and she ran it twice.

the time was fast but my daughter has a lot of work to do.